It's time to end the consensual hallucination of fall in-person classes

Started by polly_mer, July 02, 2020, 05:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

The question of restarting ftf college this semester seems to be moving into the realm of the surreal (largely, the parallel issue with k12 ed is trending in the same direction).   In exactly what parallel universe would any rational campus adminiscritter really think that students would accept 'minimum security prison'-like conditions, even when they would be on full scholarship and have to pay nothing for said incarceration?  And who thinks it an example of rational normality to write some pamphlet or website/ email suggesting that students remember to mask up when having sex?   Who thinks making students sign pledges to be good little boys and girls is going to be met with serious obedience.... or that these students, AND THEIR PARENTS, would tolerate punishment imposed upon those who disobey?   It seems that those admins who have been creating such policies and making such statements are just operating without thinking, trying hard to maintain not only the fiction that their reopening plans will work, but also that everyone will be happy and cooperative.   Unicorn hunts may be the next thing they will prescribe.

BTW, did anyone see the depressing story about the suburban Atlanta high school that suspended a kid for taking pictures on her phone and then posting it on the net, of various students in the hall of her school, most clearly unmasked and not socially distancing?   Her suspension has apparently been rescinded, but the school maintains that she did in fact violate preexisting rules wrt student 'privacy', and seems to claim that enforcing such policies are much easier for the school than trying to enforce covid mitigation efforts.... ahem.

pgher

I am presently on a road trip to take my youngest to college as a freshman. They're going to be living on campus, but it's a commuter school in a big city. Something like 75% of students commute. So even if they do what Syracuse is doing for on-campus, there's NO WAY the commuters will isolate. My guess is that a significant fraction of the semester will be online.

Vkw10

In my opinion, the universities that are posting pledges and guidelines and quarantine policies are focusing on legal liability and public relations.

To the lawyers, judges, juries: We advised these young adults, who are (almost) all of legal age, to take appropriate precautions and we did our best to minimize risk, so we're not liable if they made poor choices. Besides, we don't control their entire lives.

To the students, eagerly looking forward to college experience: Yes, there's a dangerous cliff over there, but we've put up a fence and warning signs, so smart people like you can attend safely.

My brother's oldest is paying for dorm room, but with classes online for first month, he and roommate agreed to delay move-in for a couple of weeks. They want the first wave to infect each other and go home.

Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Stockmann

Quote from: Vkw10 on August 09, 2020, 08:45:51 AM
In my opinion, the universities that are posting pledges and guidelines and quarantine policies are focusing on legal liability and public relations.

To the lawyers, judges, juries: We advised these young adults, who are (almost) all of legal age, to take appropriate precautions and we did our best to minimize risk, so we're not liable if they made poor choices.

They're of legal age when it comes to borrowing money, but not when it comes to figuring out which costumes are allowed at a Halloween party. Or, more to the point, they're adults when it suits the college, and children with the college in loco parentis when not.

QuoteMy brother's oldest is paying for dorm room, but with classes online for first month, he and roommate agreed to delay move-in for a couple of weeks. They want the first wave to infect each other and go home.

Smart move.

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Sun_Worshiper

This afternoon I'll teach a class on campus for the first time since March.  Students can choose whether to come in or to Zoom in, but I'll be in the classroom.  Based on a survey of students administrated by the department, I expect about 3-6 people to be in the room with me and about 10-15 to be Zooming in from home.  I'm actually looking forward to it, but I also have my doubts about how well the teaching will go and about how long this will go on before everything is moved online.

Wish me luck.  It is truly an honor risk my life for the admin overlords!

mamselle

Here, I have a Latin phrase handy for just such an occasion...

《Ave imperator. Morturi te salutant.》

(Hail, emperor. We who are about to die salute you.)...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ave_Imperator,_morituri_te_salutant

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Sun_Worshiper

Lovely!  And if I may die so that the admin responsible for bringing therapy dogs to campus may remain in their post, then so be it!  It was meant to be.

mamselle

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 20, 2020, 11:26:32 AM
Lovely!  And if I may die so that the admin responsible for bringing therapy dogs to campus may remain in their post, then so be it!  It was meant to be.

Losing you there....therapy dogs can be seriously helpful to some students.

Or is there something else going on with them?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: mamselle on August 20, 2020, 11:33:39 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 20, 2020, 11:26:32 AM

Losing you there....therapy dogs can be seriously helpful to some students.

Or is there something else going on with them?

M.

Joke was that colleges can't afford to maintain bloated admin unless we all risk our lives so that students pay full price for tuition.  But I'm just kidding around, I love dogs and my dog doubles as my therapist.

mamselle

Ah, got it.

Ubi canis caritas est.

(Where your dog is, there is love)

M.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on August 20, 2020, 12:44:09 PM
Ah, got it.

Ubi canis caritas est.

M.

In fact, just saw this, too...

https://youtu.be/kJpDWiJEUWc

We should probably move over to the doggie thread....

:--》

M.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: mamselle on August 20, 2020, 01:09:50 PM
Quote from: mamselle on August 20, 2020, 12:44:09 PM
Ah, got it.

Ubi canis caritas est.

M.

In fact, just saw this, too...

https://youtu.be/kJpDWiJEUWc

We should probably move over to the doggie thread....

:--》

M.

That is a splendid news segment and (no joke) gives me some renewed faith in humanity

apl68

A staff member here whose daughter attends a residential college about three hours from here is getting her onto campus this weekend.  Wishing them well.  The mother has been making plans for medical contingencies, including laying in a supply of B-12.  She thinks very highly of B-12.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

mahagonny

Lawsuits from the tenured can run into big money. Especially when they can afford good attorneys. Lots of projected income and benefits lost. I would have been happy to go back on campus. Being an adjunct I anticipate layoffs if the school loses too much money. It's not that I'm especially brave. Just weighing one dread against  the other.