College health centers are not ready for fall: Washington Post

Started by polly_mer, July 14, 2020, 12:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

One third of the 200 colleges surveyed didn't have a full-time physician in the health center.

Super Dinky had a nurse with an office open during normal business hours as the "health center" and that's not unusual for colleges with fewer than 500 students.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Aster

Heh. Big Urban College doesn't even have a health center.

You can buy band-aids in the bookstore.

polly_mer

Are they good band-aids with cartoon figures or just boring?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

writingprof

Quote from: polly_mer on July 14, 2020, 02:22:24 PM
Are they good band-aids with cartoon figures or just boring?

Our bookstore sells a special "Heroes of the Left" set.  Kim Jong Il, Michelle Obama, Bill Nye the Science Guy, etc.

apl68

Quote from: polly_mer on July 14, 2020, 12:33:15 PM
One third of the 200 colleges surveyed didn't have a full-time physician in the health center.

Super Dinky had a nurse with an office open during normal business hours as the "health center" and that's not unusual for colleges with fewer than 500 students.

It was the same at my alma mater, which was about three times that size.  Then I went to grad school at an R1 where the student health center had its own purpose-built building.  Just one of many changes of scale I found. 

That R1's health center is going to have its work cut out for it this fall, no matter how many resources the university may put into it.  It's a far cry from the days when they mostly just doled out antidepressants like candy.  Or so I was told--the only time I ever went there was to have an injured foot checked out.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

hmaria1609

I read the print version of this article yesterday.

I went to the student health center at my college alma mater several times. It looked like a house from the exterior! A local primary care doctor was on site a few days a week.