News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

List of Colleges officially online for Fall 2020

Started by theblackbox, July 16, 2020, 08:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theblackbox

I couldn't find a well-compiled list of this, so I downloaded the data from CHE which has been faithfully updated, it would seem. (Based on Rhodes College just announcing last night and them being appropriately designated in the list as online now, along with Scripps and USC who were also recent additions.)

Of the 1181 institutions in the dataset, 117 are now online, so just under 10%.

• In-person - 650
  • Hybrid - 354
  • Online - 117
  • Considering a range of scenarios - 45
  • Waiting to decide - 15

My bet is we'll see the mass waves of announcements to go online on July 31, getting us closer to 40-50% in total. Your bets?

Condensing the Cal State system and the LA Community College District system, here are the 87:
Allan Hancock College
Anne Arundel Community College
Bakersfield College
Bellevue College
Bennett College
Berkeley City College
Bowdoin College
BYU - Hawaii
Cabrillo College
California State University system
CaƱada College
Central New Mexico Community College
Chaffey College
Citrus College
City College of San Francisco
College of Alameda
College of Marin
College of San Mateo
College of the Canyons
College of the Desert
Community College of Philadelphia
Crafton Hills College
Cuesta College
Cuyamaca College
Cypress College
Dallas County Community College District
De Anza College
Diablo Valley College
Dickinson College
Eastern Washington University
Evergreen Valley College
Foothill College
Fuller Theological Seminary
Gratz College
Hampton University
Harford Community College
Hartnell College
Harvard University
Iliff School of Theology
Jarvis Christian College
Laney College
Los Angeles Community College District systems
Loyola University Chicago
Marymount Manhattan College
Mendocino College
Merritt College
MiraCosta College
Monterey Peninsula College
New School
Northern New Mexico College
Northern Virginia Community College
Occidental College
Pacific School of Religion
Pomona College
Portland Community College
Post University
Princeton University
Rhodes College
Rutgers University
San Diego Miramar College
San Jacinto College
San Jose City College
Santa Monica College
Santa Rosa Junior College
Scripps College
Seminole State College of Florida
Sierra College
Simmons University
Skyline College
Soka University of America
Southern New Hampshire University
State University of New York Empire State College
Texas College
University of Alaska at Anchorage
University of California at Irvine
University of California at Los Angeles
University of Massachusetts at Boston
University of San Francisco
University of Southern California
Utah System of Higher Education - Utah Valley University
Valencia College
Wayne State University
West Chester University
West Valley College
Westminster Theological Seminary (Philadelphia)
Wilmington University
Zaytuna College

Sun_Worshiper

My place claims to be doing in-person in the fall, and they look to have spent an ungodly amount of money to prepare for it.  But we're in a hotspot and I just can't imagine that the administration will let us move forward with in-person classes unless things change dramatically over the next few weeks.

mythbuster

We are officially in person, but faculty were given the option to move everything remote. All of my classes will be remote, which includes Microbiology labs for pre-nursing students.
     Most faculty have opted for remote. The few in person classes are either those for which there is no realistic way to do virtual (senior level science labs, ceramics, etc.) or are taught by die-hards and technophobes. I say that as a point of fact, as in my department I have seen the the two hard core technophobes both are listed with all in person courses for Fall.
   So I doubt you will ever have a realistic list, as many schools are using the Faculty choice option as a loophole to save face.

theblackbox

I wish there was a list of places allowing faculty to choose. My institution is not there yet. I am hearing from some of my friends from grad school that their institutions are giving them the option, so I know it is not uncommon.

OneMoreYear

We were sent a survey to express our preference. Chairs had ultimate decision-making power. My department decided to go fully remote, with the support of our chair.  I don't know if there were any faculty in other departments who expressed preference for remote teaching who were told they had to teach hybrid/fully in-person.  We do have some classes across the University that are listed as either fully or partially in-person for Fall on the posted schedule.  It's about 30%.

Anselm

I just wonder how community colleges can teach their vocational classes online.  I work at one and I am afraid to even ask the question.  The reason being is that I don't want to put anyone on the spot and suggest they can only offer something substandard. 
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Aster

Quote from: Anselm on July 16, 2020, 07:36:29 PM
I just wonder how community colleges can teach their vocational classes online.  I work at one and I am afraid to even ask the question.  The reason being is that I don't want to put anyone on the spot and suggest they can only offer something substandard.

The short answer is that you cannot for most programs. Presumably, those students will be coming onto campus. That's what the vo-tech students will be doing at our college, and that's what our peer institutions are reporting that they will be doing.

Heck, we've even already started it for some summer vo-tech programs. We've been taking lots of PR photos showing those students working with their PPE, social distancing, etc... incorporated into their curriculum. It's pretty extreme. Students look like they're doing hazmat training in military boot camp. I can only imagine how distracted and disrupted the students' learning is while they're all decked out in safety equipment, the professor is all decked out in safety equipment, the classroom is plastered over with warning signage, etc... You can't even leave the room to go the bathroom or get a drink of water until the entire class is dismissed, and then everyone has to use a different way to exit the building than when they came in.

sprout

Quote from: Aster on July 17, 2020, 05:46:13 AM
Quote from: Anselm on July 16, 2020, 07:36:29 PM

The short answer is that you cannot for most programs. Presumably, those students will be coming onto campus. That's what the vo-tech students will be doing at our college, and that's what our peer institutions are reporting that they will be doing.

That's what we're doing, I believe.  Allied health and hands-on prof tech programs (like automotive, welding) are holding in-person sessions.  I believe didactic work is still online, though.

We offered faculty choice, to an extent.  We were allowed to choose if we wanted to commit to fully online or reserve time that could potentiallly be used for in-person labs, if allowed.  We did make some executive decisions though, like deciding that intro/non majors courses would not have in-person labs.  This gives us some flexibility to use their lab space for sociallly-distanced majors labs.

Cheerful

You can't even leave the room to go the bathroom or get a drink of water until the entire class is dismissed...[snip]

Too authoritarian.  If someone needs to use the restroom, they should be permitted to do so with limits on number in restroom at one time, etc.

Aster

It's all about risk management. And right now in some areas of the U.S., the perceived risk is extreme.

All that it might take to shut down a campus for days/weeks would be a single infected person.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Cheerful on July 17, 2020, 10:29:06 AM
You can't even leave the room to go the bathroom or get a drink of water until the entire class is dismissed...[snip]

Too authoritarian.  If someone needs to use the restroom, they should be permitted to do so with limits on number in restroom at one time, etc.

My campus has shut off all the water fountains.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Aster on July 17, 2020, 11:09:36 AM
It's all about risk management. And right now in some areas of the U.S., the perceived risk is extreme.

All that it might take to shut down a campus for days/weeks would be a single infected person.

That's not a big concern. With students being students, one infected person will become dozens within days.
It takes so little to be above average.

Cheerful

Quote from: Aster on July 17, 2020, 11:09:36 AM

You're saying that your school won't let someone use the restroom when they really need to use the restroom?  That is crazy.

I don't know where your campus is or the size but many/most campuses will have "a single infected person."

apl68

Quote from: jimbogumbo on July 17, 2020, 11:26:48 AM
Quote from: Cheerful on July 17, 2020, 10:29:06 AM

My campus has shut off all the water fountains.

Which should ease the restroom access issue, at least.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.