News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Opening a University -- Coronavirus

Started by brixton, July 21, 2020, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brixton

Hi all -- I've been away from the fora for awhile. I've been teaching in China.

I know that there has been a lot of discussion about opening Universities.  I'm currently in Xi'an China and we opened in May.   Our Province had relatively low outbreak and we had a very strict protocol on how and when we could leave our apartment.  You might find my blog post on opening the University interesting.  We haven't had a second surge yet.  (Beijing had one last month). Suffice it to say that it has been an interesting year.   Teaching over here has been quite wonderful -- the students are very dedicated and creative.

https://qingwendy.blogspot.com/2020/05/how-do-you-open-university-essay-in.html

polly_mer

That's a neat post with nifty pictures.

What's happened since the end of May?
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

brixton

So far, so good.   We haven't had additional cases in Shaanxi. There have been a number of measures that have been lifted.  Initially, students had to stay on campus, but that has been lifted.  We still get our temperature taken and show our green QR code to enter buildings.  But, aside from an outbreak in Beijing at a market, things are OK here.

Harlow2

Thank you for this glimpse of a successfully managed reopening.  We really don't know yet what ours will look like;  do your students have an online option? 

mythbuster

Thank you for sharing this. It's helpful to know that somewhere, people are figuring out how to live with this is a productive manner. Not the case where I live, but it can be done.

Vkw10

Hi, Braxton. Good to hear what you've been doing. The blog is fascinating, both on how your university has re-opened and for some of the glimpses into Chinese university life.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

brixton

Quote from: Harlow2 on July 23, 2020, 08:06:35 AM
Thank you for this glimpse of a successfully managed reopening.  We really don't know yet what ours will look like;  do your students have an online option?

We were on-line from January until May, but next semester there are no plans for online offerings, unless there is a second wave.

Quote from: Vkw10 on July 23, 2020, 03:52:23 PM
Hi, Braxton. Good to hear what you've been doing. The blog is fascinating, both on how your university has re-opened and for some of the glimpses into Chinese university life.

Thanks!  I've so enjoyed my time here. It has been more open than I pictured it.  The blog has really helped me process the whole experience.

spork

Duke is limiting fall residential undergraduate students to freshmen, sophomores, and those with special circumstances: https://today.duke.edu/2020/07/message-president-price-updated-reopening-plans.

At MIT, it's only seniors and those with special circumstances: https://covid19.mit.edu/fall-2020-faq.

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

bluefooted

Must be nice!  We opened and closed in 2 weeks...harnessing the power of positive thinking!

no1capybara

Thanks for posting the blog - so interesting to see such a different perspective.