News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NSF pending with a date change = reject?

Started by rehabrobotics, August 17, 2020, 02:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rehabrobotics

Dear Colleagues,

PD said that he would recommend my proposal, but it has been pending for more than a month.
Now, I see the change in date, but the status is still pending.
Does it mean usually rejection?

This is my first time, so any advice would be a great help!

fast_and_bulbous

Quote from: rehabrobotics on August 17, 2020, 02:55:54 PM
Dear Colleagues,

PD said that he would recommend my proposal, but it has been pending for more than a month.
Now, I see the change in date, but the status is still pending.
Does it mean usually rejection?

This is my first time, so any advice would be a great help!

What the program director recommends is what happens, almost without exception. Congratulations!
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

research_prof

Unless something really extraordinary happens, you will be fine. It took almost 2 months for my proposal to change its status to recommended after the PD said it will be recommended for funding. NSF is severely backlogged due to COVID. Things were operating fine until late March or so, but now things are apparently really bad. This is my understanding.

rehabrobotics

Quote from: research_prof on August 19, 2020, 07:50:40 AM
Unless something really extraordinary happens, you will be fine. It took almost 2 months for my proposal to change its status to recommended after the PD said it will be recommended for funding. NSF is severely backlogged due to COVID. Things were operating fine until late March or so, but now things are apparently really bad. This is my understanding.

Thanks for your insight!

onthefringe

Yes, date change usually means something is about to happen. In the absence of previous interactions with the PD that's generally a rejection. But if you have been working with a PD who indicated they plan to recommend funding (+/- budget changes etc) I would expect the upcoming change to be a positive one.

rehabrobotics

Thank you for your positive remarks!
It was a positive sign for my case and now the status is "awarded."

Thanks a lot!

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

pgher

Congratulations!

I have a colleague who is an NSF program manager. He said that in general, if your proposal is under review for a long, long time, it's because it's on the bubble and they're waiting to see how many they can fund. Early summer is when they generally make positive decisions, late summer when they generally make negative decisions (as FY end approaches).

He also said that funding rates are sky high right now, by historical standards, since his program went away from due dates.

fizzycist

Quote from: pgher on August 29, 2020, 09:27:50 AM
Congratulations!

I have a colleague who is an NSF program manager. He said that in general, if your proposal is under review for a long, long time, it's because it's on the bubble and they're waiting to see how many they can fund. Early summer is when they generally make positive decisions, late summer when they generally make negative decisions (as FY end approaches).

He also said that funding rates are sky high right now, by historical standards, since his program went away from due dates.

That's interesting. Is this because the total number of applications per year has gone down due to deadline elimination? or was there some other concurrent change?

pgher

Quote from: fizzycist on August 30, 2020, 10:25:58 PM
Congratulations!

That's interesting. Is this because the total number of applications per year has gone down due to deadline elimination? or was there some other concurrent change?

Submissions are down. For solicited programs with deadlines, everything is just as it has always been. But without deadlines, they're not getting the easy-to-reject crappy proposals, and are generally getting far fewer proposals.

fizzycist

Quote from: pgher on August 31, 2020, 05:09:06 AM
Congratulations!

Submissions are down. For solicited programs with deadlines, everything is just as it has always been. But without deadlines, they're not getting the easy-to-reject crappy proposals, and are generally getting far fewer proposals.

Fascinating  definitely counterintuitive for me. I'll be interested to see if this effect lasts. If time to decision is ~6 months, then they may get a higher frequency of revise/resubmit than with the old annual deadlines.

I wonder what the data from some of the other directorates who have had this no-deadline policy for >2 yrs look like?

hazelshade

Quote from: fizzycist on August 31, 2020, 10:14:53 PM
Quote from: pgher on August 31, 2020, 05:09:06 AM
Congratulations!

Fascinating  definitely counterintuitive for me. I'll be interested to see if this effect lasts. If time to decision is ~6 months, then they may get a higher frequency of revise/resubmit than with the old annual deadlines.

I wonder what the data from some of the other directorates who have had this no-deadline policy for >2 yrs look like?

Everything I've heard from NSF program staff (in multiple programs) has indicated that moving to no-deadlines results in the outcome pgher describes.

Vid

All,

I have a NSF proposal that is pending and the date and PO changed yesterday without contacting me! Any idea what is going on there? As I said both program manager and the date have changed from yesterday. it has now 09/22/2020 date with different PO. Any thought on this?

Thank you very much.
"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

born_a_prof

Congratulations!

I have a proposal for which the PM got back to me in April and asked me to answer some reviewer questions, and send a public abstract.  Everyone I asked told me this is a sign he will recommend for funding. It has now been 2 months since  that contact with PM but I haven't heard a peep since then. What do you think ? Could he have asked for public abstract if he didn't intend to fund ?

fizzycist

Quote from: born_a_prof on July 01, 2021, 12:48:54 PM
Congratulations!

I have a proposal for which the PM got back to me in April and asked me to answer some reviewer questions, and send a public abstract.  Everyone I asked told me this is a sign he will recommend for funding. It has now been 2 months since  that contact with PM but I haven't heard a peep since then. What do you think ? Could he have asked for public abstract if he didn't intend to fund ?

Nah, you're still very likely to get funded. I've had >2 months pass between abstract request and official recommendation for funding twice already.