claim: students will not party because they want to do the right thing

Started by polly_mer, August 19, 2020, 07:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caracal

Quote from: Cheerful on August 29, 2020, 10:53:37 AM
[As phi-rabbit and others noted upthread, the fault rests with paying customers (parents and their precious snowflakes who want to pretend the virus doesn't exist and won't be denied the "college experience") and greedy, immoral university leaders.  I'll add some state and local officials to this list.

I never understand why people take a job teaching college students when they appear to hate them. Seriously, if you can't bother to try to think of students as actual human beings, go do something else.

Cheerful

Quote from: Caracal on August 29, 2020, 11:16:11 AM
[As phi-rabbit and others noted upthread, the fault rests with paying customers (parents and their precious snowflakes who want to pretend the virus doesn't exist and won't be denied the "college experience") and greedy, immoral university leaders.  I'll add some state and local officials to this list.

I never understand why people take a job teaching college students when they appear to hate them. Seriously, if you can't bother to try to think of students as actual human beings, go do something else.

You quoted me but I have no idea to whom or what you're talking about.  I didn't "take a job teaching college students."  You know nothing about me or my illustrious career selflessly serving thousands of students. I have stacks of student and parent thank you notes, emails, student evaluations, and more indicating that my compassion, hard work, expertise, and dedication are appreciated.

Sad when people here engage in personal attacks.

Seriously, if you can't bother to try to think of posters here as actual, caring human beings, go do something else.

Caracal

Quote from: Cheerful on August 29, 2020, 11:59:08 AM

You quoted me but I have no idea to whom or what you're talking about.  I didn't "take a job teaching college students."  You know nothing about me or my illustrious career selflessly serving thousands of students. I have stacks of student and parent thank you notes, emails, student evaluations, and more indicating that my compassion, hard work, expertise, and dedication are appreciated.

Seriously, if you can't bother to try to think of posters here as actual, caring human beings, go do something else.

Well, then perhaps you should stop referring to students as "precious snowflakes." Don't use language that doesn't reflect your values and priorities.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Caracal on August 29, 2020, 12:15:58 PM
Quote from: Cheerful on August 29, 2020, 11:59:08 AM

Well, then perhaps you should stop referring to students as "precious snowflakes." Don't use language that doesn't reflect your values and priorities.

It's pretty clear (as I highlighted) that "precious snowflakes" refers specifically to the students who refuse to even acknowledge the threat, let alone follow the rules, becuase they won't be denied the "college experience".  Since they're denying science, public advice, and good citizenship for their own pleasure, they deserve to be called out.
It takes so little to be above average.

Cheerful

Quote from: Caracal on August 29, 2020, 12:15:58 PM

After months of virus hell, various communities are now suffering more due to irresponsible college students spreading the virus.  This affects quality of life for whole regions and is a matter of life and death in some cases.  These students do, indeed, qualify for the label "precious snowflakes."

Under the cherished First Amendment, I have a right to use the language of my choice.  I don't advise you on what to think or what to say, that is your choice.  Have a good weekend.

Caracal

Quote from: marshwiggle on August 29, 2020, 12:39:52 PM

It's pretty clear (as I highlighted) that "precious snowflakes" refers specifically to the students who refuse to even acknowledge the threat, let alone follow the rules, becuase they won't be denied the "college experience".  Since they're denying science, public advice, and good citizenship for their own pleasure, they deserve to be called out.

The claim that its ok to use dehumanizing terms and unpleasant language because you're just referring to some people is rarely a particularly good argument. Look, I'm sure Cheerful is a lovely person and a good teacher, but I do think the term leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Actually I feel the same way about a bunch of terms that some posters seem fond of using. I have never seen an interesting, kind, or helpful post that used "freeway flier," Professor Sparkleberry," or "previous snowflakes."

Caracal

Quote from: Caracal on August 30, 2020, 04:16:24 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on August 29, 2020, 12:39:52 PM

The claim that its ok to use dehumanizing terms and unpleasant language because you're just referring to some people is rarely a particularly good argument. Look, I'm sure Cheerful is a lovely person and a good teacher, but I do think the term leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Actually I feel the same way about a bunch of terms that some posters seem fond of using. I have never seen an interesting, kind, or helpful post that used "freeway flier," Professor Sparkleberry," or "previous snowflakes."

Speaking of kindness, sorry Cheerful for the tone. I don't like the term, but I shouldn't have suggested anything about your relationship to students or abilities as a professor.

jimbogumbo

Hibush

Quote from: jimbogumbo on August 30, 2020, 12:11:02 PM
The University of Alabama (main campus) has over 1,000 positive cases in one week.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/29/us/university-of-alabama-covid-19-cases-trnd/index.html

Quote from:  Dr. Ricky Friend, dean of the College of Community Health Sciences at UAOur exposure notification efforts have revealed no evidence of virus transmission due to in-person class instruction./quote]

Frat parties? Or did all those out of state students arrive infected? What explains the big difference between U of Alabama and the other Alabama colleges?

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Hibush on August 30, 2020, 04:26:03 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on August 30, 2020, 12:11:02 PM
The University of Alabama (main campus) has over 1,000 positive cases in one week.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/29/us/university-of-alabama-covid-19-cases-trnd/index.html

Quote from:  Dr. Ricky Friend, dean of the College of Community Health Sciences at UAOur exposure notification efforts have revealed no evidence of virus transmission due to in-person class instruction./quote]

Frat parties? Or did all those out of state students arrive infected? What explains the big difference between U of Alabama and the other Alabama colleges?

This: https://abc3340.com/news/coronavirus/social-media-images-of-lines-outside-tuscaloosa-bars-draws-ire-of-alabamas-ad

polly_mer

https://slate.com/technology/2020/09/coronavirus-diaries-student-health-ambassador.html has a student explaining experiences as a health ambassador.

The anecdote about the students who flat out refuse to obey the clear rules because they can think of edge cases ring true.  Yep, there are clear rules, but somehow those rules shouldn't apply to the precious snowflakes.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Caracal

Quote from: polly_mer on September 05, 2020, 08:51:51 AM
https://slate.com/technology/2020/09/coronavirus-diaries-student-health-ambassador.html has a student explaining experiences as a health ambassador.

The anecdote about the students who flat out refuse to obey the clear rules because they can think of edge cases ring true.  Yep, there are clear rules, but somehow those rules shouldn't apply to the precious snowflakes.

See, the term remains an unpleasant form of name calling that reflects mostly on the person who uses it.

kaysixteen

Hmmm... the student health amb in question has a good point, namely that her efforts likely are not really changing many minds.   But I am wondering whether it is a good idea to be hiring students to do this job,and is this commonplace this semester at many schools?

mahagonny

Quote from: Caracal on September 08, 2020, 04:17:37 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on September 05, 2020, 08:51:51 AM

See, the term remains an unpleasant form of name calling that reflects mostly on the person who uses it.

Administrators don's have to deal with student evaluations.

Caracal

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 08, 2020, 09:40:12 AM
Hmmm... the student health amb in question has a good point, namely that her efforts likely are not really changing many minds.   But I am wondering whether it is a good idea to be hiring students to do this job,and is this commonplace this semester at many schools?

The problem seems to be that they are basically being hired to scold students, which isn't going to be effective. There's a lot of literature and experience in public health about how to get people to do things that are safer. The knee-jerk reaction many of us have is to be angry when we see people not following rules and call for more stringent enforcement and harsher penalties. The problem is that almost always backfires. At best, you get people invested in following the rules when someone seems like they are paying attention. In this case, the result might be that students wear masks outside where the risk is lowest,  because that's where the monitors are, and they don't wear them when they are visiting someone else's dorm room or standing around in the hallway, where the risk of transmission is far higher.

A more helpful approach might be training these students in now to engage when someone tells them why they don't like the rule. For example, when students say they shouldn't have to wear masks when walking with people they live with, it might help to agree that they are right enough about the logic for the roommates. However, campus is a pretty crowded space where people are frequently interacting with others they see or walk by and going in and out of buildings. People are more likely to change their behavior if you acknowledge their points and engage with them instead of just tsking about rules and telling them they are being bad people.