claim: students will not party because they want to do the right thing

Started by polly_mer, August 19, 2020, 07:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Well, I would agree that students who want to do the right thing won't party and such to the detriment of themselves and others.  Unfortunately it was my experience during my years in higher ed that a great many students don't consider "doing the right thing" in any adult and mature sense a priority.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

Caracal

Quote from: apl68 on August 19, 2020, 07:47:19 AM
Well, I would agree that students who want to do the right thing won't party and such to the detriment of themselves and others.  Unfortunately it was my experience during my years in higher ed that a great many students don't consider "doing the right thing" in any adult and mature sense a priority.

I actually imagine most students will follow guidelines. We won't hear about them, because nobody takes your picture if you are in your room, or outside hanging out with a few people in an appropriate manner. I'm sick of the focus being on student behavior. Certainly, people who behave recklessly put others at risk. However, the issue is that when the virus is as widespread as it is in many place in the country, there's just no way you can put a bunch of people in close proximity and expect that things can be controlled. At UNC, most of the clusters were centered around living spaces. Could some of that be caused by people gathering in large numbers? Maybe, but it looks like the biggest factor is just people spending lots of time in close proximity to each other, which is pretty hard to avoid in a communal living setting like a dorm.

Vkw10

I expect at least 90% of my students to be conscientious about following health and safety rules. I expect 90% of the others to follow the rules most of the time. The small percentage who ignore rules frequently will be a problem, just as the small number of faculty and staff who ignore rules will be.

Drunk drivers don't just kill themselves in car crashes. They kill sober drivers who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Students who are careless with COVID-19 precautions will infect those who are careful.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Parasaurolophus

Like Caracal and Vkw10, I think most students will be fairly conscientious. Or, at least, as conscientious as te population at large.

The trouble is that we can't really expect students to be much better than the population at large. And there's a significant minority of ordinary "adult" Americans who haven't been great.

Looking at the world around me, teens aren't great about masking around. But the only dick-nosers I've seen have all been elderly.
I know it's a genus.

Caracal

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 19, 2020, 08:40:34 AM
Like Caracal and Vkw10, I think most students will be fairly conscientious. Or, at least, as conscientious as te population at large.

The trouble is that we can't really expect students to be much better than the population at large. And there's a significant minority of ordinary "adult" Americans who haven't been great.

Looking at the world around me, teens aren't great about masking around. But the only dick-nosers I've seen have all been elderly.

Even in terms of the behavior of the population at large, I think we focus too much on individual decisions and not enough on the conditions created by the people in charge. In most of the country, restaurants are open for indoor service. That doesn't mean that its a good choice to go to those places, but should we be surprised that people do?

Same basic thing. Some minority of students will selfishly ignore rules. The problem is that this is going to increase the danger for the majority of students who are trying to do their best. In communal indoor settings that's going to result in rapid spread even among people who weren't doing anything particularly risky. Don't blame students because 10 percent of them are being selfish jerks, blame the administrators who think it is a good idea to go full steam ahead when the virus isn't under control.

polly_mer

Quote from: Vkw10 on August 19, 2020, 08:30:38 AM
Drunk drivers don't just kill themselves in car crashes. They kill sober drivers who just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Students who are careless with COVID-19 precautions will infect those who are careful.

This is the problem: 90% of us being responsible doesn't matter when there's 10% doing just regular fails and 1% doing spectacular fails.

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Caracal

Quote from: polly_mer on August 19, 2020, 10:10:26 AM

This is the problem: 90% of us being responsible doesn't matter when there's 10% doing just regular fails and 1% doing spectacular fails.

It turns out this is what a government is supposed to be for.

apl68

Quote from: polly_mer on August 19, 2020, 10:10:26 AM

Well, that was my thought.  Even if most students are conscientious, and only a 10% minority (Which seems a little optimistic to me, at least at some places) weren't careful, that's an awful lot of people.  Will 90% compliance be enough to get a college community through safely?  I don't know, but I don't blame people for being worried.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

clean

What does "the right thing" even mean to a freshman away from home for an extended time even mean? 
I learned that "you can always retake a class, you can not retake a party!"  while I was teaching classes as part of my PhD program.
The first parties of college set up your social standing for the next four (to six) years! 

How many universities have already sent their students home? 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

polly_mer

polly_mer

waterboy

"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

polly_mer