News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

That's a reasonable attempted answer for that one, Langue_doc! I think a lot of folks had trouble with 33A/(14, 34)D, but there were more unfamiliar entries than I think I am used to for a Sunday.

Congrats on your QBABY and 2fer, cathwen! Do you happen to know how long you will be in rehab or have to do rehab activities?

Parasaurolophus

One last four-letter word and it's QB for me too!
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QB - 1, missing a 5 letter word. Trying not to go to Shunn.

LB - 3fers, no 2fer yet. Am losing my touch here.

ciao_yall

Went to Shunn, tried a word I thought I had already tried and boom, QB. So... maybe I wasn't spelling it correctly?

Still not much progress with LB. Gah.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius with the pangram, both rather tedious. Last word yesterday was gird.

favorable/ethic

ab_grp, I found ohlala without much effort, but found the other two only because of the intersecting words.

cathwen, hope you are doing better and got a good night's rest. Echoing ab_grp's question on how long you would have to stay in the rehab. Glad to hear that the place is well-run.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - last word after checking Shunn's word count was grippy. Thought I had tried it earlier?

LB - Didn't come together. Not sure wnere my LB juju has gone for the last few weeks. Did get a 2fer b4ss archival-lifeboat and loads of 3fers favor-bracelet-thief, boa-archival-left, birth-havoc-clef... and others.

cathwen hope the rehab center can get you home soon!

cathwen

Good morning! 

After two days of QBABM, I think my luck is about to run out and I'll be going to Shunn very soon.  I am at genius with the pangram, but it was a struggle to get there.

My 2fer yesterday was, like Langue_doc's, the official one.  But I have not yet found one today.

Ciao_yall, you'll get your LB juju back!

I supposedly move to rehab later today—they found me a spot in a facility that is about three minutes from where we live, so that will be convenient for my husband.  The therapist came by with an assortment of gizmos that will help me to dress myself.  I love the thingie for the socks!  It's like a tube with two long ropes attached.  You put the socks over the tubes, stick your foot inside, pull the ropes, and voilà—socks are on feet!  Walking still is quite painful, but less than yesterday.  Progress is slow, but at least it's progress.  I don't know exactly how long I'll be in rehab—they're thinking maybe a week, depending on how I do.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Today's bee is a bit slow going! Did get to GN4L and pangram but definitely not at Alpha yet.  Our final word yesterday was pirogi.  Just not used to that spelling.

No luck on LB yesterday, so congrats on your solutions! I had a couple components that just didn't add up.

Cathwen, sorry to hear that walking is still painful (though it sounds as though it would be after that surgery!), but I'm glad it's getting better a bit at a time.  Great that the rehab facility is so close to home! And those sock thingies sound like a really neat idea.  I hope all the gizmos help make things a little more doable for the near future and that they take as good care of you in rehab as they have in the hospital.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

QB and twofer.

Familiar words with one exception which I found because I mistyped a word.

LB words are neither exotic nor unfamiliar.

ciao_yall

QB-3, then the usual reminders from the forum to finish it off.

Oodles of 3fers, and even 2 b4ss solutions.

No 2fer yet. Maybe this will break it loose?

Parasaurolophus

Genius, but no pangram.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram (easy) and genius (difficult) today. Last word yesterday was macadamia--found deicide only because I mistyped decide.

lacquer/rethink--NYT solution three days in a row, which is rather depressing. Today's puzzle looks difficult, so might not get to solve it.

cathwen, sending you good thoughts. The sock pulling apparatus sounds hilarious for an able-bodied person, but must be very difficult to manage for someone recovering from hip surgery. Glad that the rehab place is near your home. Also sending you today's pangram to cheer you up.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

I was at QB-4 yesterday; macadamia, eddied, caddied, and midi were my missing words.

Thanks for sending today's pangram my way, Langue_doc!  I reached genius, but am now running out of steam.

I never did find a 2fer yesterday, and I don't have one yet today.  My puzzle mojo is definitely off.

The sock pulling thing is indeed hilarious, even for a non-able-bodied person!  But what an ingenious design.  The device for putting on pants is one of those grabber things that you often see in NYC grocery stores for items way up on a top shelf.  You scrunch up a pant leg, grab it making sure that the bottom of the pant is included, put it on your foot, release, then grab the waistband and pull.  Repeat on other side. 

Well, enough of my adventure, and back to the puzzles! 

Happy puzzling, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - last words that I needed hints for were academia, macademia, midday.

LB - don't worry about being basic, Langue_doc. It was pretty much the only solution. I was sooooo close with lacquer-rink-kith. I had two b4ss answers that I really liked incline-earthquake, harlequin-nutcracker. And plenty of other 3fers.

cathwen what will they think of next?

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Two-fer! Hope this isn't the NYT solution. No progress on the bee, alas. 

My good deed for the day was to alert NYT to the vertex glitch. Vertex mistakenly claimed that I had solved today's puzzle, but when I clicked on "reset" the puzzle turned out to be that of a recent whale. They probably got several complaints, so the correct puzzle was uploaded, and I got a response to my email.