News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Langue_doc, I'm glad you had a nice bird outing! Please do let us know what all you saw.

Cathwen, congrats on the schmofficial solution yesterday.  Better than none! I have a couple contenders so far today as well, but no luck yet.  Enjoy your walk if get out there for one. 

It's great that you are having nice weather in the northeast given the cold and snow and ice recently.  We are also out of the frigid temps this weekend, up around 70 yesterday and getting back up there again in a few days.  Definitely a change from last week!

cathwen

Finally got a 2fer! 

Got to QB, but only with hints for the last two words.

OneMoreYear

Got a quick opportunity for puzzles this evening and found a pretty fast 2fer. Am also enjoying Wordle and Nerdle for quick puzzling breaks.

Parasaurolophus

Managed GWP today, and pretty suer I have half a 2fer, but I'm out of time, so.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with pangram this morning.  Yesterday my last two words were untune and tenuity

I had the "official" locker-rejuvenate for LB.  I have found a 2fer today, but I might look for a better one, as the second word seems a little iffy. 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I think I have 5 words left today.  Yesterday tenuity got us, too. 

Congrats on your 2fers yesterday, OneMoreYear and cathwen! I had no luck yesterday so will cross my fingers for today.  Congrats on already getting one today, cathwen.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

GwP, what is a gigue? And just 3fers for me yesterday junket-trace-evolve, junker-revolve-etcetera, carjacker-revolt-taunt. Oddly enough I remember thinking I noticed rejuvenate but thought it was a same-side thing.

Today, GwP and 3fer so maybe today will be easier?

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. I think I just need three or so words to get to QB, but am not wasting any effort as I would have never ever found the two weird words yesterday.

Wordle wouldn't open on my kindle today. On the phone though, I'm a new player as of today.

The following is about birds and not bees, so be warned!

Yesterday, when we were walking between a couple of bird locations, someone from the group directed our attention to iridescent brownish pigeons (quite unlike the NYC "tree rat" pigeons) on the ledge of a building. It turned out that these were someone's pets as there was a longish dovecote with around 6-10 round entrances for the occupants, more like row housing for pigeons. Must have been custom-made or made at home as I couldn't find pictures of similar cotes on the web. The birds looked like the white-tipped doves or the red-billed pigeons in the Peterson handbook; they could have also been specially bred. 

We saw several duck species--red-breasted mergansers, probably a few hooded mergansers,  one or more pintails and gadwalls, black scoters, lesser scaups, and mallards. There were several flocks of brant, a few red-throated loons, cormorants, great and double-crested, three purple sandpipers, and the usual gulls. There was a kestrel sitting on a lamp post in the distance. Plenty of starlings (introduced, and hence pests, in my opinion), a pair of red-breasted nuthatches, mocking birds, bluejays, and cardinals. I think there were some sparrows, but I didn't see them. Note to self: take notes when on these trips so that I can keep track of the birds I'm seeing.

Parasaurolophus

GWP fairly quickly today. On to the others!
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Langue_doc, it sounds as though you have quite a good memory for all the birds you see! That was quite a nice variety.  Interesting about the custom dovecote as well!

As for Wordle, I am so mad at myself.  I was so nervous that day that I mentioned about them switching it over to NYT that I got overanxious and failed to solve it! And it did keep my streak for me, so now I just have that one fail on my record.  Argh.  Oh well.  I'm sure it won't be the last fail, but I could really kick myself.  I haven't tried it on my phone, but it just redirected or reloaded to a new URL one day.

ciao_yall

2fer! It's been a few days.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Two pangrams and genius so far. Last word yesterday was emetic.

chump/polarity

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

GwP, probably could have made QB but ran out of steam. LB was lymphoma-actuarial.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Beta with both pangrams and ten words to go.  Argh!  Yesterday I went to hints to find my last word, titmice, annoying since we have a good number of tufted titmice around here.

LB:  I had matchup-priorly.  I was surprised that the second word was accepted.  No 2fer today yet, though.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Still a ways to go today, and I only have one pangram but did get to GN4L at least.  Yesterday my final ones with assistance were titmice, mimetic.  Husband's was emetic (my third-to-last).

Congrats on your LB solutions! And all different from the schmofficial one!

Happy solving!