News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Found an interesting two-fer; hope it isn't the official one.

Phone calls and other stuff today, so haven't made much progress on the bee since morning.

cathwen, glad you're having family over. I was just reminded of you when doing tomorrow's crossword.

ab_grp, cheering your on to the finish line.

Parasaurolophus

Three pangrams, but that's it for me for tonight. I fell 50 short.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Above genius, but not pangram yet.

Missed balalaika and tallit.

gumshoes/satrapy

Long session with the dentist today, so probably no more puzzling.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Up early this morning, despite a late night.  I am one 4L word short of QB.  I need to step back and look later. 

Yesterday I finally made QBABM!  My last word was tailback, which I tried in desperation.  My husband tells me it's an older football term.

LB:  I had hugest-temporary.  I have a 2fer today as well.

Ab_grp:  Yes, our daughter and her partner of 32 years (!!) got married in January.  I think my hip fracture jarred them into considering health issues—who has access if one of them is hospitalized with a serious problem, who is allowed to make decisions, who can inherit, etc.  That never came up with my fracture, as I was alert and capable most of the time, and nowhere near my deathbed, but I think it all got them to thinking that making their relationship "legal" would avert a lot of possible future problems.  They had a small wedding with one witness and will have a large reception in October, when covid will (we hope) be over, or at least not the danger it is now.

Langue_doc, I must look at that puzzle to see why it reminded you of me!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I have 3 words left today but did get to Alpha.  Yesterday the final one we could not get, even despite help, was balalaika (again!).  We both kept thinking about baklava and balaclava, and I tried laika at one point, so I guess something was prompting us.  Oh well, pretty close.  Hopefully I'll eventually remember that one.  Thanks for the cheering, Langue_doc! I think tailback was the hardest of the pangrams, cathwen.  I did think of it from football, but it took a while.  Congrats on your QBABY! Parasaurolophus, 3 pangrams and ending up only 50 short is no small deal.

Congrats on your 2fers, Langue_doc and cathwen! And neither the schmofficial one.  I don't even think I wrote a contender down yesterday, just busy doing other things.  I do have a contender this morning, at least. 

Cathwen, yay and congrats again to your daughter and daughter-in-law! I hope that they are able to have exactly the celebration they want in a few months, but good that they are more protected legally for now, and I'm sure the small ceremony was still quite happy.

Langue_doc, good luck with your dentist visit today!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning! Gw2Ps yesterday, then thought of tailback later.

LB - Didn't get a clean 2fer. Found yoghurt-temperas But it would only take tempera, not temperas. Oils, watercolors, acrylics, but not... okay. Also had two b4ss esophagus-stormy, yohurt-tampers.

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Two pangrams and genius so far. I need only 7-8 more points.

Yesterday, I was frantically looking for the last couple of four-letter words on one device only to find out on another device that I had found all the words. Should remember to refresh the game instead of just picking up from where I left off earlier in the day.

thwarts/subtopic

cathwen, good move on your daughter and daughter-in-law's part. I remember hearing a couple of horror stories where the partner of decades couldn't make any medical decisions for their partner. There were also inheritance issues with the assets going to a relative who had disowned them, just because said relative was legally next-of-kin.

The crossword clue was 11D, which I think was your downfall!

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB, but needed a hint for kiddie. Gah. And subtropic-chaw.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Genius with two pangrams today.  I actually got to QBABM yesterday—my last word was heck. Heaven knows why I didn't see that earlier!

LB:  subtropics-swath.  I have not yet found a 2fer for today. 

Haha, yes, Langue_doc, 11D was my downfall!  And yes, I have known people who got absolutely nothing after years of being together, so I am very relieved at the marriage (which I have been encouraging for a good while).

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

We didn't do much puzzling yet because husband is off to site for the day for a bunch of stuff, so we got some breakfast burritos ready.  I will be working on the bee here in a moment.  I did get the crossword done and find the two pangrams, at least. Yesterday my final ones were eked, kidded.  Ugh.  Congrats on your QBs, Langue_doc and cathwen! I'm sure you will get there again today.

And congrats on your 2fers, Langue_doc, ciao_yall, cathwen! Again, none the schmofficial one.  I wasn't on the right track to any of them.

Thanks for pointing out the crossword clue, Langue_doc! I thought about it and then promptly forgot about it.  Literal downfall, sadly! I'm so glad you are recovering so well, cathwen.  I actually have an exercise DVD of that brand in my Amazon cart and was thinking of you.  I'm not sure how it would work out at home, in any case.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Okay, I finally made some progress and am down to two 4-letter words.  Of course, I can think of plenty, but not the right ones!

I have not made much progress on LB, though.

Parasaurolophus

I made it to QB-3, but one of those is the second pangram.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good morning!

I made QB yesterday, but only with help for the last word, which was enfeeble.  Today I am at Alpha with four words to go.

Parasaurolophus, the second pangram yesterday (for me, it was bluefin) was one I found almost by mistake.  Fish vocabulary is not my strong point.

LB:  I had newsboys-situated.. I found a 2fer today, too.

Time to grade quizzes!  Happy puzzling, everyone!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Just three or four more words to go!

Last word yesterday was befell.

unwanted/disobey

Happy solving, all!