News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to a bit past genius with pangram so far.  Yesterday we needed bee buddy for venule.

Yet another day of no luck on LB.  Congrats on your 2fers, cathwen (x2) and ciao_yall! Hopefully I'll have more time for it today.

Good luck with Wordle, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and genius before leaving for an "art" walk that was held outdoors.

Last word yesterday was eleven--remembered venule quite early on in the puzzle.

skylight/tromp (this is probably my third LB pair where I entered a word at random not knowing if it was a legit word or what it meant)

ab_grp, as for the crossword, I thought that it was rather amateurish. I didn't get around to doing any of the crosswords after that one. I'm not too happy with Connections because of its lack of flexibility regarding the number of turns you get. There are days when I've just given up and later discovered that the groups were too esoteric for those puzzles. I'm much happier with Kindle's Red Herring. I miss Digits!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangrams and genius before leaving this morning. Needed help with horal and another h-word.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangrams and past genius, just one word to go.  Fingers crossed! Yesterday we needed bee buddy for aroma, horal I think.  And I had moola but had forgotten about moolah.

No luck on LB again.  Maybe today.

I agree that that crossword was amateurish, Langue_doc.  As for Connections, I do like that you can shuffle the blocks, as that helps sometimes, but having only 4 tries on one device or browser is a tough limit some days when the categories are more out there.  I don't know if it's possible to go back to an older one, so I don't want to  spoil any previous ones that someone may wish to play, but the one I was referring to earlier that I had to cheat on was the one with ankh, papyrus, etc.  One of the categories had members in that puzzle that I had never heard of before (being in that category).  I thought the one with the 2-letter blocks a while back was a little challenging but doable and more fun.  Some are just way easier than others.  It's a bit like playing Red Herring on the hardest setting, I guess.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwSBB and a new word horal. LB got a hint for facsimile-evoked.

I like Connections and have only missed it a few times. You have to try to think through when it seems there are words that can fit multiple categories like papyrus which could have been an Egyptian thing or a font. Not sure I could keep up with more than four categories.

Speaking of which, I found Quordle the other day. Yeah... not enough coffee in the mornings for that one.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Just made QBABM! It's been a while. Yesterday I needed help for some dumb words (=words I should have gotten): roar, hoorah, and my last word—momma! How I missed that, I can't tell you.

LB: No solution yesterday, but I have one today.

I also play Connections and agree that the number of turns is not enough. My performance is inconsistent. Sometimes (like today) I get them all in four tries, but other times (like a day or two ago) I fail utterly. I don't take this puzzle as seriously as LB, SB, and Sudoku, so I just shrug and go on with life when I do badly (whereas not succeeding in the other puzzles bugs me most of the day.) But I agree with Langue_doc—-I miss Digits!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Since it was already mentioned, papyrus was the one that led me to the idea that maybe it was part of the font category along with the ones I knew could fit there.  But then I still had one left for that group and took a look at Word to see what else it could be.  Luckily it helped, but I had no idea that those two were fonts! I can usually get them in one try, but that one was nearly a fail. 

Congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen!

Totally agree that Quordle is a bit much.

ab_grp

Yay, got to QBABM and a 2fer! Finally and finally! Geez, neither of those has happened in a while. 

I just realized that I got so caught up in Connections talk before that I missed that cathwen also got to QBABM! Congrats!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius, but no pangram. Last word was machete.

hyacinth/heliport, heliotropic/cyan

Woohoo, ab_grp!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I will be the complement to Langue_doc with pangram but no genius.  My final word yesterday was also machete.

For LB I finally got hyacinth-heliotropic, so a mishmash of Langue_doc's two (congrats!).

I guess we had similar minds yesterday!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwG, last word matchmake. LB went for hints and got lyncanthrope-epic, chalice-entropy.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QBABM yesterday, last word machete. Four words to go today.

LB: Lots of variety! I had protolithic-cleanly. No solution yet today in spite of a couple of very good words.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. Missed bibibap and the two papilla words yesterday.

Got stuck with subjoins.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I also got stuck on papilla/e and bibimbap yesterday. Today I have the pangram and am past genius, but I'm finding this one a toughie.

LB: No solution yesterday. I kept trying adjoin/s/t, but couldn't find a mate. Babushka did not occur to me. No 2fer today, either, so far.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with no pangram.  Yesterday we needed bee buddy for limb, of all things.  I forgot iamb(i) as usual.

For LB I got babushka-adjoint, which is apparently schmofficial.

Happy solving!