News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning!

I did not have much time to work on SB yesterday, so used hints to finish the last nine words. My last two words were the alternate spelling ambience (that was driving me crazy—I knew there was a second pangram and just could not find it, so I tried the alternate spelling of ambiance, and voilà.) My last word, though, was animé.
Today I have three words to go.

LB: I first had whare-extrusion. A whare, it turns out, is a Māori hut. Then I tried for a more normal pair and got exhaustion-nowhere. Today I found a 2fer almost right away.

We were in a 75-80% zone for the eclipse. Ab_grp, I thought you might be in the zone, too! We opened the back of our car and sat on the tailgate in the parking lot of the hotel to watch. We watched until at its greatest point, then had to take off for a long drive south. I kept checking from time to time from the car window. On our way south, we stopped at Glen Canyon Dam, where they were just winding up an eclipse party.

Ciao_yall, the Barbie party must have been fun! I still have not seen that movie.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram (first word) and probably just one more word to go. Last word yesterday was minicam. I think I mistyped ambience first, and then realized that I usually spell the word with an e, so found the alternate spelling by accident.

I had to chuckle when I saw foofaraw(s) in the crossword hints as I had to look up the spelling despite knowing the word for a recent bee. There's a single typo in my solution today that's keeping me from completing the puzzle and also driving me nuts in the process.

ab_grp and cathwen, I'm quite envious!

I too came up with whare/extrusion; found the second word first, and then played around with the remaining letters and much to my surprise found that it was a real and acceptable word.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Pangram and above genius. Needed BB for taiga.

bard/duplication

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB-1 ABM, then guessed yttria and it didn't take! Argh. 2LL for ragtag. LB probational-lucid.

Not sure how much puzzle time I will have today, but happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram so far.  Yesterday we each got QB.  My last word was ragtag, but I also tried yttria!

For LB I had cupboard-dilation.

I also had trouble finding the second pangram the other day and finally guessed the alternative spelling.  And I chuckled about the foofaraw(s) in the crossword as well!

Getting my covid vaccine this morning at a different drugstore, so hopefully that will go smoothly.  Kind of threading the needle a bit with that and possible side effects, a home sleep test sometime this week, and dentist on Thurs.  I guess we'll see how it all works out!

That sounds like a great way to watch the eclipse, cathwen!

And I also haven't seen the Barbie movie yet but hope it was a fun viewing party, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QB with 1L help for the last word—ratatat. I also tried yttria without success! Today I had a hard time getting to genius, but I'm there now, with seven words to go.

LB: I had probational-lucid. No 2fer yet today.

We're visiting with my husband's brother and sister-in-law today, as well as taking a Trip Down Memory Lane for my husband, who spent his teen years here. Home tomorrow!

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

Ran out of time yesterday - Genius but no QB. Did fool with SBB but decided not to go for hints. And, 3fers but no 2fers - am rather annoyed that it wouldn't take brunchcation because it would have made a 2fer as well as an awesome word. And trip idea!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I got to genius with the Pangram so far. I don't remember about yesterday, but I will have to check. We are having wireless issues today as they do some work in the area so I will try to write more later when I don't have to do it on my phone.

For LB, I got wrench-habituation.

I think I have definitely figured out that the Covid vaccine is the one that causes the most pain for me. I felt pretty good yesterday, but then felt a little chilly as I was going to bed and by the time I got under the covers I was shaking violently and had a really high heart rate and a fever all night so not doing so great today and of course it would be a good day to just sit around and relax and stream good shows on the Internet but I don't have the Internet, so thanks a lot Xfinity.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Above genius, but no pangram. Needed BB for cetacean.

I know I have a twofer, but can't recall the words other than that they are not the NYT version.

ab_grp, sorry to hear about your reaction to the vaccine. Hope you were able to rest and catch up on your sleep. I recall a recent article, probably in the NYT, about how strong adverse reactions to the vaccines indicate that they are working. But still...

ab_grp, here's the article.
QuoteFeeling Terrible After Your Covid Shot? Then It's Probably Working.
Fever, chills and fatigue may all be signs of vigorous antibody production, a new study finds.

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! It seems like it hit faster than before, but hopefully that means it will move out faster and that it is working well.  I haven't had the best of sleep lately, but I hope tonight's is at least better than last night's! I'm sure husband hopes so, too, since I was trying to leech every bit of warmth from his arm and tossing and turning along with the violent chills.  I tried to take a nap, which I almost never do because I typically can't fall asleep, and I failed but maybe got some restorative time.  I feel like such a whiner!

Congrats on your non-NYT 2fer!

I think yesterday we needed bee buddy for exacta, exec.  I still have a few words left and have not had luck on LB yet.

Ciao_yall, I like brunchcation!

Cathwen, I hope you enjoyed the trip down memory lane and had safe travels home.

ciao_yall

Morning!

Ran out of time yesterday - GwP, last word pylon. Got a hint for jugs-skimboard which I would never have gotten on my own.

Anyway, happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QBwH to find the three last words, lollop, peloton, polyp. Today I am at genius with the pangram and quite a way to go.

LB: Just as the plane was landing yesterday, I got jugs-skimboard. Ciao_yall, I meant to comment on brunchcation from the other day—it's a great word, and a great concept!

Ab_grp, I hope you have recovered from your covid shot! I also had violent, shaking chills, but with the fifth shot, not this most recent one. It is not pleasant, but apparently it shows that your immune system is strong.

We're back home now, and although we had a great time seeing family and national parks, I'm really glad to be back. Now to tackle the mountains of laundry and go grocery shopping!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Finally got to genius with the pangram.  Yesterday we needed bee buddy for peloton, which we were both spelling incorrectly.  Ugh!

No luck on LB.  I had the components for skimboard but didn't know it was a word.  Should have tried it! Congrats, cathwen!

And I'm glad you got home safely! The mountains of laundry and grocery shopping and other catch up are not the best part of a vacation, but it sounds like it was all worth it. 

I am doing much better today, thanks.  Temp was still up a little last night, but what a difference a day makes.  Hopefully by dentist appt tomorrow I will be back to "normal."

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB. Missed the pangram, eyelet, lento, tentpole, and noel, and also pole and plot which I knew I had typed. Also missed peloton which I kept typing as peleton and wondering why that word was no longer accepted.

bewitcher/ructation from an earlier puzzle; didn't think that the former minus the suffix was a word, nor the latter. Just looked up the latter:
QuoteLate Latin ructation-, ructatio, from Latin ructatus (past participle of ructare to belch) + -ion-, -io -ion

ab_grp, glad to hear that you are feeling better. When is your sleep test?

cathwen, home sweet home, however luxurious the hotels are.

I think I caught a bug, so have been out of it, especially sleep-wise. Thought I'd gone to bed only to discover after 4 AM that I hadn't, so worked on the bee, and then fell asleep until 9. It's definitely a day to do mindless things, so am doing nothing else.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Above genius, but no pangram. Last word yesterday was ratatat.

Happy solving!