News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

September research

Started by Sun_Worshiper, September 06, 2020, 04:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HigherEd7

How much time are you normally spending on a lit review? I notice some people have several writing projects being reviewed and more on the way. What is the secret or is there one to do all this, keep up with your courses, and have a quality of life. Thanks

Parasaurolophus

I'm teaching two today, so my attenuated goal is just to work on upgrading my book review.

Quote from: HigherEd7 on September 09, 2020, 06:15:44 PM
How much time are you normally spending on a lit review? I notice some people have several writing projects being reviewed and more on the way. What is the secret or is there one to do all this, keep up with your courses, and have a quality of life. Thanks

Lit reviews aren't really a thing in my field. Obviously, you do have to address previous literature, but there's no formal lit review section or anything.

I guess the secret is to have lots of different ideas, and take some time to work them up? Then, once they're down on paper, all you have to do is juggle them through various review processes, and write down a new one when you have the chance and start juggling that, too. Lots of what I have under review is stuff I initially wrote years ago. It gets fixed up some after each rejection, and goes back out again. In the meantime, I write a new paper here or there and start that off on its years-long journey.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Two articles edited.

Teaching starts again soon. (First students back were yesterday; today's group are the hardest, all over the place in maturity and preparedness; tomorrow's not too difficult).

More editing and more teaching tomorrow, then a weekend of reading, writing, and researching.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

HigherEd7

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 10, 2020, 10:40:13 AM
I'm teaching two today, so my attenuated goal is just to work on upgrading my book review.

Quote from: HigherEd7 on September 09, 2020, 06:15:44 PM

Lit reviews aren't really a thing in my field. Obviously, you do have to address previous literature, but there's no formal lit review section or anything.

I guess the secret is to have lots of different ideas, and take some time to work them up? Then, once they're down on paper, all you have to do is juggle them through various review processes, and write down a new one when you have the chance and start juggling that, too. Lots of what I have under review is stuff I initially wrote years ago. It gets fixed up some after each rejection, and goes back out again. In the meantime, I write a new paper here or there and start that off on its years-long journey.

Thank you for the response and information. I really want to get s few papers out ASAP! I think I am spending way to much time in teaching and preparing weekly course content.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 10, 2020, 10:40:13 AM

Kwell, I'm done in now. No more work today.

Quote from: HigherEd7 on September 10, 2020, 01:55:43 PM

Thank you for the response and information. I really want to get s few papers out ASAP! I think I am spending way to much time in teaching and preparing weekly course content.

Yes, you definitely have to figure out how you can minimize the time you spend on teaching (to the extent possible). Some of it is easy enough--when you teach the same course over again, don't change everything up, and don't re-prep everything. You did the work once, so you should be good to go with minimal effort a second time. Automating marking, or making things as easy to mark as possible, is another.
I know it's a genus.

AvidReader

I really need to have a productive day today. In order of importance:

--Finish writing a research statement for a grant application
--Grade as much as I can in 3 hours (I'm already behind, but I'd like to grade 10-12 essays)
--Record 2 videos for students
--Work on my sample chapter for my book proposal (Can I write 1000 words? An ambitious goal).

AR.

Parasaurolophus

Errands again, so not going to be a productive day. If I'm lucky, I'll have a chance to draft a report and solicit some content for the thing I manage.

Good luck today, AvidReader!
I know it's a genus.

AvidReader

Thanks, Parasaurolophus! Hope you got your report finished.

Finished the research statement.
Two hours' grading, but broke the rubric function of my CMS and wasted a lot of time trying to fix it.

Still need to record videos. I guess that's my weekend activity.
The sample chapter may wait till next week.

AR.

Parasaurolophus

Too many errands, couldn't do. Tomorrow, then.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Avid Reader, we used to have a "grading sprint" thread, which people used in various ways: dared themselves to grade 3 tests before lunch, or checked off/crossed off a numbered sequence of papers each time they finished one.

I'd say you could see them on the Old Forum, it might be searchable via Google.

I'm finished with three more written chunks of stuff, to be stitched into the chapter file tomorrow.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

AvidReader

Quote from: mamselle on September 12, 2020, 04:27:13 PM
Avid Reader, we used to have a "grading sprint" thread, which people used in various ways: dared themselves to grade 3 tests before lunch, or checked off/crossed off a numbered sequence of papers each time they finished one.

I'd say you could see them on the Old Forum, it might be searchable via Google.

I'm finished with three more written chunks of stuff, to be stitched into the chapter file tomorrow.

M.

I remember it vaguely, but I think Old Forum is gone now. That sounds fun, though! Maybe time to resurrect, if it wouldn't distract me from my actual workflow!

Congratulations on the written chunks and chapter!

AR

nonsensical

The beginning of the semester has been eating me alive and preventing me from updating this thread on any kind of regular basis. This past week I made a tiny bit of progress on a grant proposal, and over the weekend I made comments on about a third of a paper draft that I got from one of my students. The hope is to finish commenting on that paper by the end of this coming week.

Sun_Worshiper

Like many of you, I've been swamped with teaching so far this semester.  Things will let up for me in October.  In the meantime, I'm just doing what I can at the margins.  I think it is good for me though - by the time I get back to intensive research I'll have a real hunger for it!

Parasaurolophus

Hmmm. I think today I should:

• Continue tidying up Book Review
  • Work on fixing the Book Proposal
I know it's a genus.