News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

September research

Started by Sun_Worshiper, September 06, 2020, 04:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Definitely have to make Book Proposal progress today (at this point, I kind of want it to be rejected so that I can concentrate on my own projects, but I guess I might feel differently later).
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Failure again. Sigh. One day the teaching things will let up a bit.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Managed to do some good work on Book Proposal today. Another session ought to do it. ('Course, September is running out of days!)
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Teaching and meeting day of doom today, but I did manage to read the 100ish pages for tomorrow's research ethics board meeting, so there's that.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Hmm. Today I should work on October R&R.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Meetings all day today, but managed to do some revisions on a project yesterday that my co-author wants to get out the door. 

Given my schedule, I'll probably will struggle to do more than some marginal research between now and October 10th(ish), but after that I'll have a much reduced teaching load and can work on an R&R that is stuff of nightmares. 

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 25, 2020, 10:26:31 AM

I did it, but somehow when I incorporated a footnote into the main body of the paper, my word count plummeted by 1000. I have no idea what happened, and appealing to previously saved versions can't clarify it. I hope it was just a counting glitch? :s
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 25, 2020, 07:10:17 PM

I did it, but somehow when I incorporated a footnote into the main body of the paper, my word count plummeted by 1000. I have no idea what happened, and appealing to previously saved versions can't clarify it. I hope it was just a counting glitch? :s

Goodness, that stresses me out just reading it!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: darkstarrynight on September 26, 2020, 09:58:37 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 25, 2020, 07:10:17 PM

Goodness, that stresses me out just reading it!

No kidding! Further testing and checking suggests it's probably just some sort of weird counting glitch. The word counter in the bottom left corner suggests the inflatd figure; actually going to the 'review' tab for the word count nets a total that's 1k words lower. Comparing the previous and current drafts shows substantial additions in the current draft, but no substantial deletions. I can't find anything missing.

Shrug.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that my word count is so much lower than I thought! The revisions really ballooned it, so.)
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on September 14, 2020, 05:44:19 PM

For me:

• Revise paper with coauthors and get it ready to submit (rejected a week or two ago from a top journal, moving on to another very good journal)
  • Work on revisions for coauthored paper (received invitation to R&R a week or so ago from a very good journal - brutal comments, but I guess the editor sees hope for the manuscript, so I am also hopeful)
  • Get ball rolling on ambitious data collection project, which will contribute to article I'm working on and will, hopefully, become a key data source for scholars in my area
  • Resubmit book chapter with edits and additions to appease editor
  • Submit IRB for project with coauthors
  • Turn around conditionally accepted article

Fast moving co-author took the lead on getting the top paper on my list back under review. In the meantime, that conditionally accepted article turned into an accepted one.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on September 14, 2020, 05:44:19 PM

For me:

• Revise paper with coauthors and get it ready to submit (rejected a week or two ago from a top journal, moving on to another very good journal)
  • Work on revisions for coauthored paper (received invitation to R&R a week or so ago from a very good journal - brutal comments, but I guess the editor sees hope for the manuscript, so I am also hopeful)
  • Get ball rolling on ambitious data collection project, which will contribute to article I'm working on and will, hopefully, become a key data source for scholars in my area
  • Resubmit book chapter with edits and additions to appease editor
  • Submit IRB for project with coauthors
  • Turn around conditionally accepted article

After some delay, the book chapter is submitted as well.  Hopefully editor will be satisfied.

mamselle

Another chunk drafted and typed in.

Feels better.

Many more to go.

Still, better...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Today, I'll try to do a small bit of the remaining chunk needed for October R&R. Right now, in my virtual office hours.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 28, 2020, 01:11:44 PM
Today, I'll try to do a small bit of the remaining chunk needed for October R&R. Right now, in my virtual office hours.

Only a little more fixing left!
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on September 08, 2020, 09:11:21 AM

September stuff:

• Submitted final revised manuscript last night for "accepted with revisions decision," yahoo!
  • Worked on revamp of rejected manuscript today after meeting with co-author on Saturday. Should be ready to submit to a different journal in the next few weeks!
  • Continue to work on R&R revisions due in two weeks with my co-authors.
  • Keep working on new manuscript with colleague in my sub-field.

Updates:

• Revision got accepted today! So I have two articles in press and two under review, yahoo!
  • Colleague in my sub-field sent me hu's updated manuscript yesterday to review which I will start on tomorrow
  • I am trying to finalize my grant manuscript but rallying so many people is still not going very quickly. I aim to get this done by the end of October.
  • For the second half of the rejected manuscript, I just got a new mentee in our graduate program that is interested in joining our project to write, so I am excited about involving a student too!