News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Marist College Ruins the Annual List

Started by polly_mer, September 09, 2020, 06:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Beloit College used to issue an annual cultural list on what the 18 year olds likely know or don't know.  Beloit used some humor.  Marist took over this year and I didn't make it through the whole list because it was so boring and focused on the least important things for real majors.

https://insidehighered.com/news/2020/09/09/marist-takes-over-mindset-list-it-changes
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Anselm

I agree, it is pretty boring. 
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mythbuster

Ok so let's make our own! 18 year olds would have been born in 2002. So I will start with.

9/11 is something that happened in the past, before they were born.

Add in folks!

Puget

I was in college when they were born. Now that's a scary thought. . .

This has been true for a few years now, but they have no clear memory of a time before smart phones.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

spork

Quote from: mythbuster on September 09, 2020, 10:07:31 AM
Ok so let's make our own! 18 year olds would have been born in 2002. So I will start with.

9/11 is something that happened in the past, before they were born.

Add in folks!

I would frame this as something like "The USA has been fighting the 'War on Terror' for longer than they've been alive."
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mythbuster

I've got another one.

They have never been able to meet a friend at the gate in the airport.

marshwiggle

It takes so little to be above average.

the_geneticist

The human genome has always been sequenced (draft 2001).  Over-the-counter genetic testing has been a suggested present since they were kids.

spork

Quote from: mythbuster on September 09, 2020, 12:48:24 PM
I've got another one.

They have never been able to meet a friend at the gate in the airport.

Yes! Love this.

Edited to add:

Google has always been a verb.

apl68

The Twentieth Century is entirely before their lives and therefore ancient history. 
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

brixton

The movie 2001: A Space Odyssey  has always sounded like a historic documentary.  :-)

apl68

Quote from: brixton on September 09, 2020, 02:39:11 PM
The movie 2001: A Space Odyssey  has always sounded like a historic documentary.  :-)

Good one!

Now that you mention it, it is getting hard to remember what is like when "the year 2000" and "the 21st century" used to be shorthand for "futuristic."
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

bio-nonymous

Quote from: spork on September 09, 2020, 08:52:25 AM
I stopped at the first bullet point.
I wish I had, the list didn't get any better...

onthefringe

The Y2K problem seems like a quaint thing that nobody could have worried about.