News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Canceling spring break 2021

Started by polly_mer, September 13, 2020, 07:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

Quote from: OneMoreYear on November 20, 2020, 07:44:52 AM
What, you mean you Uni has the foresight to begin these discussions 2 months in advance of the Spring semester? Where can I get some of those forward thinking administrators?

I'll trade the lot of 'em for a bag of balls and a six-pack of craft beer of your choice (the weirder the better).
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Caracal

Quote from: FishProf on November 20, 2020, 07:23:59 AM
My Uni is only now talking about a delayed Spring start and no Spring Break.  Ummmm, isn't a bit late to be starting that conversation?

What, you mean you Uni has the foresight to begin these discussions 2 months in advance of the Spring semester? Where can I get some of those forward thinking administrators?

Foresight can be overrated. My school decided to start late hoping that case counts would be down.

I'm not arguing that Spring break is a good idea, but I think there's also a risk of students becoming less careful just because of fatigue when you have two semesters in a row that are just one long slog.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: FishProf on November 20, 2020, 08:05:18 AM

I'll trade the lot of 'em for a bag of balls and a six-pack of craft beer of your choice (the weirder the better).

Not sure you want to make that offer. How do you feel about candy canes in your stout? Or habanero?

FishProf

Yes to all.  I give my BIL a 6 of the weirdest stuff I can find (so far, PB Porter, and Carmel Macchiato Porter are leading the list)

OneMoreYear

Quote from: FishProf on November 20, 2020, 09:47:55 AM
Yes to all.  I give my BIL a 6 of the weirdest stuff I can find (so far, PB Porter, and Carmel Macchiato Porter are leading the list)

Wait, PB Porter is weird? I admit to liking my beers dessert-like. Local brewery (sadly appears that it may close, has one that tastes like a think mint). SO complains about the hipster beer adulterating his fridge. But he will drink my favorite beer of all time--New Glarus Belgian Red.

FishProf

Sorry, Peanut Butter-Chocolate Porter was a new one to me.  Purple Monkey Dishwasher is the specific brew.
I had to buy more b/c I like the first 6 too much.

OneMoreYear

Oops, sorry, I derailed the thread with beer. I'll move over to the posting while plastered thread tonight.

Back on topic of Spring break, there is no evidence that our upper administration has even considered whether we should have spring break. But this is consistent with the level of thought for many of their recent decisions, so. . . I guess no one is surprised.

clean

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

polly_mer

Quote from: clean on November 21, 2020, 02:37:20 PM
Please note that a thread was already about this topic

http://thefora.org/index.php?topic=1798.msg49970#msg49970

Please note the start dates on these threads with this thread starting on 13 September and the other thread starting on 25 September.

Discuss anything you like, but don't be the latecomer scolding the original thread.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

clean

(ok but the 'second' thread was better!)

(folds arms, stamps foot, pokes out lower lip).
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Could we please merge the two threads?

Mods?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.