News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

non-US universities now

Started by kaysixteen, September 13, 2020, 09:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

considering that most advanced countries are far ahead of us here in terms of pandemic control, how are institutions of higher learning running themselves abroad this semester?

Parasaurolophus

Every major institution in this province is all online, and I think most of the minors are, too (including mine). Nobody here is going back to in-person instruction in 2020-21.

I know it's a genus.

science.expat

We're mostly face to face in Aus, as long as social distancing can be accommodated in lectures/labs.

namazu

brixton started a thread / shared a fascinating blog post about her experiences at a Chinese university here: https://thefora.org/index.php?topic=1588.0

Caracal

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 13, 2020, 09:45:45 PM
considering that most advanced countries are far ahead of us here in terms of pandemic control, how are institutions of higher learning running themselves abroad this semester?

Actually, it hasn't tracked well with this kind of "advanced" countries metrics. Most of Africa has done much better.

Kron3007

Quote from: Caracal on September 14, 2020, 05:29:42 AM
Quote from: kaysixteen on September 13, 2020, 09:45:45 PM

Actually, it hasn't tracked well with this kind of "advanced" countries metrics. Most of Africa has done much better.

We just test too much....(joking)

Kron3007

I'm in Canada, and most of our classes are online.  We have one program in out department that has gone fully in person, but they have a small cohort and hopefully can manage.  It should also be noted that they are providing a remote option for students who can't come in person, and can switch to virtual any time.

My lecture is remote, but labs are in person.  Normally I have one lab section, but it is split into 4 for this semester.  I also have to provide a remote alternative for the lab and can switch to remote at any time if needed.

Caracal

Quote from: Kron3007 on September 14, 2020, 06:26:21 AM
I'm in Canada, and most of our classes are online.  We have one program in out department that has gone fully in person, but they have a small cohort and hopefully can manage.  It should also be noted that they are providing a remote option for students who can't come in person, and can switch to virtual any time.

My lecture is remote, but labs are in person.  Normally I have one lab section, but it is split into 4 for this semester.  I also have to provide a remote alternative for the lab and can switch to remote at any time if needed.

Most Canadian schools have very few students living on campus though, right?

traductio

Quote from: Caracal on September 14, 2020, 06:48:02 AM

Depends on the university. The big ones (U of T, York, Ottawa, Carleton -- can you guess which province I'm in?) have quite a few residence halls. I don't know what percentage of students live on campus, but in absolute numbers it's still a large population.

(At my school, we're completely online. I thought I heard from someone that the University of Toronto was in person, but I can't imagine that being the case.)

marshwiggle

Quote from: traductio on September 14, 2020, 07:53:18 AM

Depends on the university. The big ones (U of T, York, Ottawa, Carleton -- can you guess which province I'm in?) have quite a few residence halls. I don't know what percentage of students live on campus, but in absolute numbers it's still a large population.

(At my school, we're completely online. I thought I heard from someone that the University of Toronto was in person, but I can't imagine that being the case.)

I was going to say that I can't recall any Canadian university announcing that it was going to be in person, but maybe I've missed it. (Certain programs and/or courses perhaps, but no entire institutions that I know of.)
It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

That's not been true in my experience (4 big R1s, 1 SLAC, and 1 jumped-up CC across five provinces; you could add in a CÉGEP, too, if you want to count that). It is, however, true of the school in northern Ontario that my sisters attended. Students there pretty much just live at home with their parents.

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 14, 2020, 08:15:46 AM

I was going to say that I can't recall any Canadian university announcing that it was going to be in person, but maybe I've missed it. (Certain programs and/or courses perhaps, but no entire institutions that I know of.)

Me neither, but maybe there's one somewhere in the Maritime bubble or in the prairies.
I know it's a genus.

traductio

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 14, 2020, 08:50:56 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on September 14, 2020, 08:15:46 AM

Me neither, but maybe there's one somewhere in the Maritime bubble or in the prairies.

That makes sense -- I couldn't imagine the logistical nightmares that would come with keeping U of T in person.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 14, 2020, 08:50:56 AM

That's not been true in my experience (4 big R1s, 1 SLAC, and 1 jumped-up CC across five provinces; you could add in a CÉGEP, too, if you want to count that). It is, however, true of the school in northern Ontario that my sisters attended. Students there pretty much just live at home with their parents.

I think in Canada we don't have the same rabid emphasis on the "college experience" as they do in the US. We have (thankfully) very little uptake on the American "Greek life" culture, and there's no sense that living off-campus results in a radically inferior experience to living on-campus. So the percentage on- or off-campus isn't an important statistic.
It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: traductio on September 14, 2020, 09:16:36 AM

That makes sense -- I couldn't imagine the logistical nightmares that would come with keeping U of T in person.

0_o

Or UBC, which I believe is now a titch bigger than UofT. Although at least UBC has its own campus that's separate from the rest of the city (it's so, so far away...).

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 14, 2020, 09:21:42 AM

I think in Canada we don't have the same rabid emphasis on the "college experience" as they do in the US. We have (thankfully) very little uptake on the American "Greek life" culture, and there's no sense that living off-campus results in a radically inferior experience to living on-campus. So the percentage on- or off-campus isn't an important statistic.

Yeah, that seems right. For my part, I've seen a few houses with Greek letters on them in my time and travels, but honestly, I have no idea how they work (or even what they are, really). It's just a non-entity.

There are definitely loads of students who live in residences or on university-owned property, or in rentals immediately adjacent to the university, though. We absolutely have that, at both small and large universities.
I know it's a genus.

Morden

I think some of the smaller schools in the Maritime provinces (St. FX, Acadia, etc.) are in person, but the Maritime provinces have had very few cases (and very strict rules about people coming into the provinces. i.e. If you arrive from out of province, you have to go into a two week quarantine). Most of those students live on campus.
My (mostly commuter) school is online--except for some courses in things like Nursing. And I think the Education students still go out into the schools for practicum, which is an outbreak waiting to happen.