Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

So adjuncts have zero right?

Started by hamburger, September 15, 2020, 03:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: Cheerful on September 24, 2020, 04:17:15 PM
Quote from: Ruralguy on September 24, 2020, 03:46:16 PM
No, you do not need an affiliation to submit to a journal. I've seen a few people without  affiliation do this. I think some were career aerospace engineers and in their golden years decided they wanted to write about black holes. Of course, the physics has to be good, but if a paper passes the general relevance and quality test, it will be passed on for review. Of course, YMMV in your field.

I said "no more journal articles" because it seems that focusing on such would be a waste of hamburger's time.  Huge opportunity costs.  He should focus on New Day, New Life.

Didn't somebody write a self-help book called 'The Joy of Giving Up.' Or some such.

Kron3007

Quote from: hamburger on September 24, 2020, 04:47:43 PM
Quote from: Kron3007 on September 24, 2020, 04:31:18 PM
No, you do not need an affiliation to submit to a journal. I've seen a few people without  affiliation do this. I think some were career aerospace engineers and in their golden years decided they wanted to write about black holes. Of course, the physics has to be good, but if a paper passes the general relevance and quality test, it will be passed on for review. Of course, YMMV in your field.

I said "no more journal articles" because it seems that focusing on such would be a waste of hamburger's time.  Huge opportunity costs.  He should focus on New Day, New Life.

I would have to agree.  Publications are really only of use for a sliver of jobs and one or two would likely not make or break this case.

There is a lot of demand for machine learning.  If I were in this position I would probably t try to start a company.  Whether this is consulting or developing proprietary software would depend on a number of things, but I see demand for this expertise and it seems it could be done remotely.  Since hamburger is not mobile and the odds of finding a specialized job like this in a limited area is slim, creating a job may be a better direction.

Of course, this option is not for everyone...

How do people who have no background in ML nor research experience got funding to form startups?  Those people got support but not me.

A good pitch?  People invest in ideas and the people involved.  If you plan to get investors, you need a great pitch and solid business plan. 

To start a consulting company, all you would need is a website and to start networking. 

I don't know if either of these are viable for you and your specific background, but from what I have seen there is a lot of interest in ML, so it may be.

hamburger

Quote from: Kron3007 on September 25, 2020, 03:59:22 AM

I would have to agree.  Publications are really only of use for a sliver of jobs and one or two would likely not make or break this case.

There is a lot of demand for machine learning.  If I were in this position I would probably t try to start a company.  Whether this is consulting or developing proprietary software would depend on a number of things, but I see demand for this expertise and it seems it could be done remotely.  Since hamburger is not mobile and the odds of finding a specialized job like this in a limited area is slim, creating a job may be a better direction.

How do people who have no background in ML nor research experience got funding to form startups?  Those people got support but not me.

A good pitch?  People invest in ideas and the people involved.  If you plan to get investors, you need a great pitch and solid business plan. 

To start a consulting company, all you would need is a website and to start networking. 

I don't know if either of these are viable for you and your specific background, but from what I have seen there is a lot of interest in ML, so it may be.

I went to a few pitch competitions. There was nothing special about their pitches. They just said that would use ML to do such and such. Moreover, they are not in the field. Most of them only have a BS degree. The majority of them are from the industry but not in ML. I asked a guy a few simple questions and he could not answer. However, these people got funded. At least in my city, having industry experience and knowing how to bullsh*t with those average Joe who are empowered by technology and ease of access to information is much better than having a PhD when apply for company jobs and also teaching jobs. I feel very sick every time I go to Linkedin and see that kind of people's self promotion.

Caracal

Quote from: hamburger on September 25, 2020, 06:45:33 AM

I went to a few pitch competitions. There was nothing special about their pitches. They just said that would use ML to do such and such. Moreover, they are not in the field. Most of them only have a BS degree. The majority of them are from the industry but not in ML. I asked a guy a few simple questions and he could not answer. However, these people got funded. At least in my city, having industry experience and knowing how to bullsh*t with those average Joe who are empowered by technology and ease of access to information is much better than having a PhD when apply for company jobs and also teaching jobs. I feel very sick every time I go to Linkedin and see that kind of people's self promotion.

Have you seen a therapist before? I think people who haven't ever gone to therapy often misinterpret that question. I'm not suggesting you are mentally ill, or that there's something incredibly wrong with you. But what comes across here is that you have a lot of beliefs that seem to get you stuck. The point isn't to adjudicate which of these beliefs are rational and which are not, that won't help. It just seems like from what you write here that there is a script going through your head all the time and it mostly involves thinking that you're smarter and better than others, but haven't succeeded because of unfairness. That script just seems to lead you around and around in circles. Often therapy is helpful just because you talk to someone whose job it is to listen and help you figure out if there might be ways of going about your life that might result in less frustration.

Cheerful

Quote from: Caracal on September 25, 2020, 07:00:26 AM
Have you seen a therapist before? I think people who haven't ever gone to therapy often misinterpret that question. I'm not suggesting you are mentally ill, or that there's something incredibly wrong with you. But what comes across here is that you have a lot of beliefs that seem to get you stuck. The point isn't to adjudicate which of these beliefs are rational and which are not, that won't help. It just seems like from what you write here that there is a script going through your head all the time and it mostly involves thinking that you're smarter and better than others, but haven't succeeded because of unfairness. That script just seems to lead you around and around in circles. Often therapy is helpful just because you talk to someone whose job it is to listen and help you figure out if there might be ways of going about your life that might result in less frustration.

+1  Finding ways to let go of the anger would change this person's life for the better.  Just a few talks with a counselor could be very beneficial.

Kron3007

They obviously had good pitches if they got funded.  You may not have liked their pitch, but you are not the one they are pitching it to.  A business pitch is far different than an academic proposal.

I find the academic world encourages people to be modest and undersell themselves and their ideas.  These people may only have a BSc or whatever, but they have convinced someone that they will be able to execute their vision, and that their vision is worth executing.  Credentials are good to have, but you cant sell an idea based on that alone.  Especially in the business world, they will not care about what degrees you have (or dont have) they will only care if they think you will make them money.       

Ruralguy

If b.s.'ing is what can get you work, then b.s. with them.  Complain about it at home over a nice dinner, paid for by your new pay check from the boss that loved your bs.

spork

Every time someone provides free advice in any of the many threads you've started, your response is "I can't do that."
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

hamburger

If going for the consultant path, is there a danger that one will get into legal trouble?

wareagle

Yes, if you engage in illegal behavior.  If you are giving advice in good faith, you're probably okay.  I'd bet everyone here has a consultant nightmare story to tell.  My institutions have paid out hundreds of thousands of dollars for 1) lousy advice, 2) the obvious, and 3) the dog's breakfast.  Not one of them ever sued.  At worst, one multi-year contract was broken halfway through after half-a-million dollars had changed hands.

You'll probably want to take out a bond anyway to protect yourself.

I AM NOT A LAWYER.  Consult with one before you set yourself up in a consulting business.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

Chris J

Why do people keep feeding this noxious "Hamburger" troll?

He sounds like an invention of Sasha Baron Cohen.

hamburger

Quote from: wareagle on September 25, 2020, 01:51:42 PM
Yes, if you engage in illegal behavior.  If you are giving advice in good faith, you're probably okay.  I'd bet everyone here has a consultant nightmare story to tell.  My institutions have paid out hundreds of thousands of dollars for 1) lousy advice, 2) the obvious, and 3) the dog's breakfast.  Not one of them ever sued.  At worst, one multi-year contract was broken halfway through after half-a-million dollars had changed hands.

You'll probably want to take out a bond anyway to protect yourself.

I AM NOT A LAWYER.  Consult with one before you set yourself up in a consulting business.

I have never own a company before. Better to know what I could get into before doing it.

downer

Quote from: Chris J on September 25, 2020, 02:27:26 PM
Why do people keep feeding this noxious "Hamburger" troll?

He sounds like an invention of Sasha Baron Cohen.

Is this a serious question or just an expostulation? Coz I have some theories if you are serious.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Chris J

It's a serious question.
And I would love to hear theories why people are humoring/leading on/feeding this troll.

hamburger

Quote from: Caracal on September 25, 2020, 07:00:26 AM
Quote from: hamburger on September 25, 2020, 06:45:33 AM

I have never said that I am smarter or better than others. However, I strongly believe that people who have devoted so many years and dedicated their lives to go through all the hardships to get a PhD in a used to be very difficult research area should get higher preference in employment than those average Joe who just want to jump in any field just because of the hype. Maybe I am old but I grew up under the saying that those who study hard would be rewarded by having a good stable job. Sadly, the world has changed.