News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

When are you going to get a Flu Shot?

Started by clean, September 18, 2020, 08:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

I have a flu shot on my To Do list for today.  When are you going to get one? 
(IF 'never' why not?  If 'soon', when?)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

histchick

My husband and I both work at the university, so we got ours this week.  The reasoning was due to the fact medical professionals were recommending get the shot now so that have the most coverage during the flu season.

Also, my mother got hers two weeks ago and kept asking me when I was getting mine. 

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Ruralguy

I get mine next week, offered by college.

There's a but of mixed opinion on this. Some recommend waiting  until at least Oct 1 so that immunity extends past  March. Other say to get it a bit earlier because flu season usually starts by Oct 1, and it takes a couple of weeks to get maximal immunity.
I'm just going to go with next week because that's when its being offered at my school, though I could always just go to a local pharmacy a week or two later.

ciao_yall

Early October. My doctor says they don't usually get it until late September, even though various places are already offering it.

Parasaurolophus

I may or may not, depending on where it's being offered and when (it's a bit of a hike to get anywhere it might be). I'm happy to do my part, and won't complain about the extra protection. On the other hand, since I'll be at home with minimal external contact for the next year, the chances for exposure one way or the other are lower than they ever have been.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on September 18, 2020, 08:50:51 AM
I never do.

I never get the flu.

M.

I'm the same way--only had it once or twice in my whole life, the last time over 20 years ago, and I'm not at particular risk for complications.  This year, though, with TWO major health threats at large, I'm seriously considering taking care of the one that already has a vaccine.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

downer

Since I am social distancing and wearing a mask around others, isn't my risk of catching flu already massively diminished?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Caracal

Quote from: downer on September 18, 2020, 10:12:51 AM
Since I am social distancing and wearing a mask around others, isn't my risk of catching flu already massively diminished?

Yes, although why wouldn't you want the extra protection? It doesn't cost much, (often it is free) and almost never has serious side effects.

clean

The risk may be lower with all of the extra precautions, but with CV19 about, I would suspect that the ramifications COULD be much worse. 

downer

Isn't the risk prediction of flu + COVID very speculative at this stage? Alarmist even.

Do you wear a helmet when you go driving in a car? Why not?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Liquidambar

I got mine a couple weeks ago, and Liquidspouse got it even earlier.  The local pharmacies were pushing it when we picked up unrelated prescriptions.  I used to catch the flu at least once a year.  The shots have been a big help to me.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Puget

Quote from: apl68 on September 18, 2020, 10:06:56 AM
Quote from: mamselle on September 18, 2020, 08:50:51 AM
I never do.

I never get the flu.

M.

I'm the same way--only had it once or twice in my whole life, the last time over 20 years ago, and I'm not at particular risk for complications.  This year, though, with TWO major health threats at large, I'm seriously considering taking care of the one that already has a vaccine.

Yes please do, both of you! It's like wearing a mask-- even if you aren't at high risk personally, if you get even a mild flu you can pass it on to someone who IS at high risk of complications, and collectively the combination of flu and COVID could overwhelm the healthcare system.

I'll get mine on campus in early October when they do them (this is apparently the advise on when will give the best immunity window). Everyone on campus is *required* to have one this year (except in cases of rare medical exemptions), for the reasons stated above.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

clean

QuoteIsn't the risk prediction of flu + COVID very speculative at this stage? Alarmist even.

No.  Do you know what happens to the viruses when someone has both viruses? 

As for wearing a helmet when I drive, the question is absurd.  But I do have antilock brakes, wear a seatbelt, have airbags, drive under the speed limit, (lower when the road conditions are poor)... I take Reasonable Precautions!   

mythbuster

I have a doctors appointment for other things in early October, so I will get it then. I love having the opportunity to educate my immune system without actually getting sick. I had the flu once- tested and verified. Never again!