News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

When are you going to get a Flu Shot?

Started by clean, September 18, 2020, 08:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigou

Quote from: downer on September 22, 2020, 10:32:59 AM
So the US values life at about 30% more than the UK or other European countries? It's slightly odd, especially since people in Europe live 3 or 4 more years longer than in the US. It doesn't seem that the health benefits gained by giving healthy people aged 6 months - 65 are that decisive. Especially since all health care in the US is expensive compared to Europe.
VSL calculations are tricky and affect a lot of decisions. But yes, the US values a statistical life more than most (but not all) European countries. This doesn't just affect decisions in health care, but also safety regulation more generally -- e.g. the requirement for new cars in the US to have rear-view mirrors.

There's also the indirect cost of the flu: around $8bn per year in the US as a result of lost productivity. Since wages in the US are higher than in Europe, that'd also tilt the balance toward getting more people vaccinated. Broadly, the higher your income, the greater the incentive to avoid being out sick. Suppose a consultant who makes $100/hr and works 40 hour weeks is sick for one week. That's $4,000 in lost income. If the flu shot reduces the risk by as little as 1%, it's already worth the full $40 out-of-pocket cost. (In case anyone was wondering why companies in the US push flu shots...)

Very similar rational for why trains are fun for the young and retired, working professionals take the plane, and senior executives fly private. At some point, the most valuable thing you have is time and it's worth thinking about how you can "buy" more useable time.

jimbogumbo

Pneumovax and Shingrix today. REALLY sore-should have used both arms I guess. I'll get the flu vaccine when Walgreen's gets a new senior batch.

clean

hmmmm...
The Senior strength of the Flu vaccine was out at MY local Walgreens.

IS there a national shortage of the senior version?  IS it a Walgreen's problem only?

Anyone else reporting a lack of availability?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Juvenal

Quote from: clean on September 22, 2020, 09:03:35 PM
hmmmm...
The Senior strength of the Flu vaccine was out at MY local Walgreens.

IS there a national shortage of the senior version?  IS it a Walgreen's problem only?

Anyone else reporting a lack of availability?

Can only say there was enough old-style for self when I went to my local pharm (not a Walgreens) late last week.
Cranky septuagenarian

Katrina Gulliver

Stockmann

Last year I got it at work, for free. Since we'll almost certainly be online until the end of the year, that's not going to be an option. Which does raise a dilemma in terms of risk - the risk of catching covid while trying to get a flu shot. Since clinics and hospitals are hotspots in this hotspot, that is not a minor risk. Unrelenting Baby is getting his flu shot at the pediatrician's instead of for free at a public clinic for this reason. I guess I need to research my and my wife's options and see if there are any low-risk options.

Puget

Quote from: Stockmann on September 23, 2020, 08:15:54 AM
Last year I got it at work, for free. Since we'll almost certainly be online until the end of the year, that's not going to be an option. Which does raise a dilemma in terms of risk - the risk of catching covid while trying to get a flu shot. Since clinics and hospitals are hotspots in this hotspot, that is not a minor risk. Unrelenting Baby is getting his flu shot at the pediatrician's instead of for free at a public clinic for this reason. I guess I need to research my and my wife's options and see if there are any low-risk options.

You can get it at just about any pharmacy, including many grocery stores with pharmacies -- just go at a relatively low-traffic time in the middle of the day and it shouldn't be any higher risk than grocery shopping.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Aster

Why are we still using needles...?

20 years ago, we were supposed to entering a 21st century where needles were mostly to be replaced with patches, pills, and those star-trek air gun thingies.

But no, it's 2020 and you still need to get stabbed.

This is BS.

pigou

Quote from: Aster on September 23, 2020, 11:06:09 AM
Why are we still using needles...?
Because they're really cheap and effective ways of injecting people with stuff. The needle for the flu shot is so small, you probably won't even need a bandaid after. Also pretty hygienic, because they're single-use -- unlike those star-trek air guns!

clean

QuoteBecause they're really cheap and effective ways of injecting people with stuff. The needle for the flu shot is so small, you probably won't even need a bandaid after. Also pretty hygienic, because they're single-use -- unlike those star-trek air guns!

Yup... Cost effective and no risk of cross contamination.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Caracal

Quote from: Puget on September 23, 2020, 08:18:01 AM
Quote from: Stockmann on September 23, 2020, 08:15:54 AM

You can get it at just about any pharmacy, including many grocery stores with pharmacies -- just go at a relatively low-traffic time in the middle of the day and it shouldn't be any higher risk than grocery shopping.

Yeah. You can schedule an appointment at many places and you should be able to be in and out in under 15 minutes. I've been avoiding indoor spaces if there is an easily available alternative, like curb side delivery, but really the risk is low anywhere where there is a fair amount of space and you aren't going to be sitting around near people for extended periods of time. Certainly that tiny amount of risk is worth taking on when it is for something necessary like a flu shot.

Public clinics are probably worth avoiding if you have other options, but usually doctors offices and hospitals should be fine. At hospitals, certainly, the air filtration is apparently almost always very good. I wouldn't hang around the ER waiting room for fun, but you shouldn't be feeling like you need to avoid getting  medical care either.

jimbogumbo

Just did. Hope my arm doesn't feel like last week when I did the pneumonia and Shingrix in the same arm. TDaP next week.

kaysixteen

What's TDaP, and is it something I should get?   No doc or pharmacist has ever mentioned it?

namazu

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 29, 2020, 08:51:40 PM
What's TDaP, and is it something I should get?   No doc or pharmacist has ever mentioned it?
Tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis.  (There are other combinations of these immunizations as well.)  Here are the CDC recommendations.

We both got our flu shots last week at a chain drug store (by appointment) on the same day our 1-month-old got his second Heb B vaccine.

Caracal

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 29, 2020, 08:51:40 PM

It is is a good idea if you're going to hang out with any infants. Pertussis is whooping cough, which is pretty common and very minor for most people, but can be quite serious for infants under 3 months. Our pediatrician told us to not let anyone around our baby who hadn't had it.