News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

When are you going to get a Flu Shot?

Started by clean, September 18, 2020, 08:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 29, 2020, 08:51:40 PM
What's TDaP, and is it something I should get?   No doc or pharmacist has ever mentioned it?

New grandchild arrives in November, so an absolute must for me.

Harlow2

Dr's office last week. No one else there and all but 2 chairs in waiting room were cordoned off.

namazu

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 29, 2020, 08:51:40 PM
What's TDaP, and is it something I should get?   No doc or pharmacist has ever mentioned it?
If you've never had a Tdap shot, it's recommended for you. If you've had one in the past, but more than 10 years ago, then a booster shot is recommended.

From CDC (link above):
"Give adults who have never received Tdap a single dose of Tdap. This can be given at any time, regardless of when they last got Td. This should be followed by either a Td or Tdap booster every 10 years. (Note: When feasible, Boostrix® should be used for adults 65 years or older; however, either vaccine product administered to a person 65 years or older is valid. Providers should not miss an opportunity to vaccinate persons aged 65 years or older with Tdap. Therefore, providers may administer the Tdap vaccine they have available.)"

polly_mer

Got the flu shot today, no line in the late afternoon.  Reports of lines up to an hour at other times.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Larimar

Mr. Larimar and I got ours first thing yesterday morning. No line then either. We also got pneumonia vaccinations at the same time.

mythbuster

Got mine this AM. Had a doctors apt. for something else and was able to add it on.

Got my TDaP booster last month. That one did result in a lump in my arm for about a week. But given how nasty those three toxins are, I was happy to see a robust response by my immune system!

Yes everyone should get a TDap every ten years. There is not effective treatment for tetanus, just supportive care. Our local hospital had an older woman die from it a few years a go and it made the news. She got a cut from a rusty patio set. So it's out there folks!

Bud

I got mine Monday. I wanted to get the pneumonia shot but was told you had to be 65 or older, or have asthma or COPD.

ciao_yall

kaysixteen

I got the pneumonia one last month, at 52.   I do have type II diabetes, of course, so maybe that is why I got it?  Indeed, my pharmacy actually had been telling me for several weeks that this was one of the shots I was eligible for and recommended for.... is this a state thing?   An insurance co policy?  Or tied to preexisting conditions?

Vkw10

Quote from: kaysixteen on October 08, 2020, 07:18:57 PM
I got the pneumonia one last month, at 52.   I do have type II diabetes, of course, so maybe that is why I got it?  Indeed, my pharmacy actually had been telling me for several weeks that this was one of the shots I was eligible for and recommended for.... is this a state thing?   An insurance co policy?  Or tied to preexisting conditions?

The CDC recommends pneumonia vaccine for adults over 65 or with certain health conditions, according to https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/adults/rec-vac/index.html. Diabetes is one of the health conditions listed. Insurance is less likely to cover vaccines that CDC doesn't recommend for your age/condition. I paid out of pocket for TDaP about five years ago; it was not cheap.

Try the CDC self assessment tool for vaccines an adult needs at https://www2.cdc.gov/nip/adultimmsched/.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Bud

My doctor said my insurance wouldn't cover it since I was not in the eligible groups. We checked on the cost and it was $250. My doctor said I didn't need it so I listened to her.

kaysixteen

Hmmm... might be a state thing.  I got all three vaxxes, flu, shingles, and pneumonia, 100% free.

spork

Today. At national pharmacy chain. Scheduled appointment online; in and out in five minutes.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Puget

Today on campus along with my weekly COVID test-- did both in about 10 min. then went off to teach.

All students are required to get it, and when I said in class I'd just gotten mine and asked for a show of hands of who had already gotten theirs all the hands went up-- I thanked them for helping keep the community well.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

wareagle

Now you're making me feel guilty.

I've never gotten a flu shot.  I've also never gotten the flu.  Our on-campus flu-shot clinic was yesterday, and as per my usual practice, I didn't bother.

But I can get one at Walmart, CVS, or any one of a dozen other places if the guilts get the better of me.

Probably not.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum