News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What Do Students Want from College? IHE article

Started by polly_mer, October 11, 2020, 02:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

https://insidehighered.com/views/2020/10/08/consumer-perspectives-value-higher-education-and-paradox-underneath-enrollment

"This need for relevance also shapes the nature of the increased interest in education and training. Immediate financial pressure and uncertainty about the shape of an economic recovery has led to a preference for short-term, nondegree (25 percent) or skills-training (37 percent) programs, outpacing bachelor's degree programs (16 percent) by a significant margin."
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

spork

On a per hour basis, my plumber earns more than I do, and her job can't be outsourced. A college degree has no payoff for her.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Ruralguy

Yes, but there can be significant competition, people can put off repairs, and repairs don't even make that much money, big contracts do.
That's not really an argument for future plumbers getting a college education, but its not as if plumbing training is a guarantee of a job either.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Ruralguy on October 11, 2020, 06:02:20 PM
Yes, but there can be significant competition, people can put off repairs, and repairs don't even make that much money, big contracts do.
That's not really an argument for future plumbers getting a college education, but its not as if plumbing training is a guarantee of a job either.

But everyone has jobs that they know a plumber could do. Everyone knows when they need a plumber. If and when a plumber's skills would be required is easy to answer, even for people who are not plumbers.
It takes so little to be above average.