News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Proposal budget planning with someone on job market

Started by born_a_prof, October 14, 2020, 12:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born_a_prof

I am writing a 3 year grant proposal with a collaborating postdoc at a different university (via subaward). She is currently on job market, it is possible that she will move in next year or 2.
How should I handle this while writing the budget ? Her salary is the main component for first year, but if she gets a TT position, then her component of the grant will probably end up funding her grad students.

Should I assume she will remain postdoc for 3 years, and write the budget accordingly ? Any advice ?

Hibush

I'd write the budget in the way that fits Plan A of the proposed work. In the budget narrative, or in the section on what do if things don't work as expected, give Plan B. Having the postdoc get a TT job and support grad students is likely to be seen as a positive development by the granting agency. You don't need to detail the Plan B budget.

born_a_prof

To be clear,by "Plan A" you mean  to assume she stays in her current postdoc position ?

arcturus

I would write the budget based on the current circumstances (she is a postdoc). You cannot guarantee that she will get a TT position during the time period of the grant, but you can guarantee that there are sufficient funds to continue to support her as a postdoc. If she gets a TT position, you can re-work the funds at that point. As a reviewer, I would be extremely skeptical of a work plan (budget) that assumed one of the key team members would obtain a faculty position and be able to recruit graduate students to immediately take over her tasks while she transitioned to this new job.

Hibush

Quote from: born_a_prof on October 14, 2020, 01:10:54 PM
To be clear,by "Plan A" you mean  to assume she stays in her current postdoc position ?
Yes, exactly. As you have the plan laid out in the narrative.

The style in the panels I'm familiar with, the main line of the narrative is written as if everything will work as planned. Then you discuss contingencies at the end. It is tricky to strike the balance between optimistic confidence and everyone knowing that perhaps half the plan will work as expected. A sensible Plan B, like yours, for the more likely contingencies, confidently and concisely stated seems to be the best.

+Arcturus, i.e. don't overemphasize Plan B.

fizzycist

Hibush/arcturus already covered what I would do.

If she does end up switching institutions then you will have to rebudget anyway, get permission from funding agency, etc.

At that stage, depending on the funding agency, you may be able to request supplemental funds if the project is going well and she can bring something new to the project in her new role.