News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Anyone Else Hit a Wall?

Started by larryc, October 28, 2020, 11:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

histchick

Quote from: mamselle on November 15, 2020, 09:29:17 AM
Also, if you're a perimenopausal female, a shortened attention span can show up as a side effect. There are workarounds, but tbey didn't used to tell you this stuff, and it was really frightening when I started noticing it and didn't know why.

M.
Exactly this.  One of the best things about being in late perimenopause during a pandemic, while at higher risk for COVID, is that no one else sees the symptoms other than my husband.  I've had some trouble reading longer pieces from time to time, which I've attributed to the whacked hormones.

sprout

The recent re-entry into lockdown, re-closure of various things, has me feeling like I've hit that wall.  I have grading I've been sitting on for a month (with remarkably little complaining from students), other duties ramping up just now, and I just want to go out for dinner and a movie. 

mamselle

Quote from: histchick on November 17, 2020, 07:49:20 AM
Also, if you're a perimenopausal female, a shortened attention span can show up as a side effect. There are workarounds, but tbey didn't used to tell you this stuff, and it was really frightening when I started noticing it and didn't know why.

M.
Exactly this.  One of the best things about being in late perimenopause during a pandemic, while at higher risk for COVID, is that no one else sees the symptoms other than my husband.  I've had some trouble reading longer pieces from time to time, which I've attributed to the whacked hormones.

One workaround that worked for me was to repeat things out loud to myself. I "heard" them and remembered them better from the auditory input, somehow.

The caricature of older women talking to themselves started to make more sense to me as a survival mechanism after that, too.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

histchick

Quote from: mamselle on November 17, 2020, 11:26:57 AM

M.

One workaround that worked for me was to repeat things out loud to myself. I "heard" them and remembered them better from the auditory input, somehow.

The caricature of older women talking to themselves
started to make more sense to me as a survival mechanism after that, too.

M.
That's what I call "what I do in class." :-)

Larimar

Quote from: histchick on November 18, 2020, 12:22:22 PM
Quote from: mamselle on November 17, 2020, 11:26:57 AM

M.

The caricature of older women talking to themselves
started to make more sense to me as a survival mechanism after that, too.

M.
That's what I call "what I do in class." :-)

LOL! Me too!

pepsi_alum

I was doing okay until about a week ago, when I definitely crashed and burned in my classes. I'm trying to get caught up on grading now, and streamlining a few things for my classes next semester (which merciffully, will be "fully remote" instead of "HyFlex").

OneMoreYear

My brain has hit a wall, so much so that this morning I thought next week was Thanksgiving holiday when trying to schedule something for a grant. This was a good prompt for me to check in with a few students and send a couple reminder emails to submit things that the LMS shows are missing. They're probably as burned out as I am.

mahagonny

Another wall is coming, the beginning of six or seven weeks without a paycheck.

sprout

In two separate conversations yesterday, I had to:
a) Ask a colleague if I had remembered to include a name on a (5-6 person) list I was reading out, when it was in fact the first name I mentioned.
b) Be reminded by spouse that it was in fact Tuesday, not Wednesday, and therefore we did not actually have to round up the cat for a medication dosing.

lightning

Ironically, not traveling for Thanksgiving has given me time to rest and pursue a therapeutic vanity project.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm hitting the wall hard, mainly out of frustration. I tried to make my final exams easier for me to grade- in case I need to have surgery soon. However, my students are not reading the directions and are emailing me their work.

I'm just ready to drop it all and walk away.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on December 07, 2020, 06:27:52 PM
I'm hitting the wall hard, mainly out of frustration. I tried to make my final exams easier for me to grade- in case I need to have surgery soon. However, my students are not reading the directions and are emailing me their work.

I'm just ready to drop it all and walk away.

Gah! That's awful, I'm sorry.

FWIW, many of mine have done basically the same thing. I'm nearing the end of my tether, I think. There's no good reason for it--I'm quite lucky!--I'm just tired, and tired of not having the usual (very minimal) teaching rewards. I'm very much looking forward to the forthcoming break.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Thanks Parasaurolophus. I just had another student do the same thing. Apparently, they are not reading directions. I have the instructions in all caps and bolded. No words.

I hope we can all just push through and come out on the other side. And I agree with you about the break.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on December 07, 2020, 09:19:18 PM
Thanks Parasaurolophus. I just had another student do the same thing. Apparently, they are not reading directions. I have the instructions in all caps and bolded. No words.

Maybe it shouldn't, but this sort of thing really gets my goat. And it happens all the time here. Ugh. My condolences!
I know it's a genus.

apl68

The students have often been hitting walls of their own in the midst of all this.

I've been staying off of the wall lately, but have noticed that my brain has been working overtime dreaming at night.  Others at work say the same thing.  Has anybody else noticed this?
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.