News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Anyone Else Hit a Wall?

Started by larryc, October 28, 2020, 11:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

I don't feel like I'm hitting a wall, but this week in particular I keep missing things--forgetting meetings, forgetting to upload class materials, making errors in teaching materials, etc. I don't feel the soul-crushing despair from this time last semester---maybe because the weather has been so much better and I've been able to start running again and get proper sunlight---but certainly my work performance is indicating that something is going splat.

histchick

Quote from: Cheerful on February 28, 2021, 04:46:48 PM
Quote from: histchick on February 27, 2021, 02:17:11 PM
Just this week, our state announced expansion of vaccination for K-12 teachers and staff, but specifically excluded college/university faculty and staff.  This announcement was quickly followed by an e-mail from my dean telling us that if we were interested in going to the next state over to get vaccinated, we could go to her social media page to get details.

Please tell me this is satire rather than a true story.
Wish I could.  It's true. 

Faith786

Let me say that I've been in a cruddy mood for a few days now...I have no idea why...maybe stress and work overload...but I'm glad I'm not alone because it relieves me from the idea that I'm losing my marbles. Thank God I'm not! Oh, and yes, things will improve!!
I need this grant approved...

teach_write_research

Quote from: ergative on March 04, 2021, 01:56:08 AM
I don't feel like I'm hitting a wall, but this week in particular I keep missing things--forgetting meetings, forgetting to upload class materials, making errors in teaching materials, etc. I don't feel the soul-crushing despair from this time last semester---maybe because the weather has been so much better and I've been able to start running again and get proper sunlight---but certainly my work performance is indicating that something is going splat.

Living that with you (minus the running). I just realized that I have tasks that need a full uninterrupted day to get them done and that's not going to happen. And my energy to problem solve and pivot under stressed circumstances is so depleted. Oh, and we are in various stages of the anniversary of last year's upheavals. I think I need to make bean soup with the dried beans and instant pot that I panic-bought in March 2020.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I hit it yesterday when I realized that I need to have surgery. I've been distracting myself by starting seeds inside (over 100 plants so far) and I plan to expand out to the front porch. Lots of mindless computer time. I still have a test to grade (from 2 weeks ago), labs to grade, homework to grade, content to create, etc. Hopefully, I will be able to catch up over our break which starts next week.

downer

Moving to summer time feels good -- longer evenings. The warmer weather means I can get out more. That will give me more energy. The worry is not hitting a wall but running out of energy, or getting overwhelmed. I start a new course pretty soon, and that will add to the workload. It's all about finding ways to take pleasure in the teaching. That generally requires being very clear about what students need to do, and minimize the pleading emails from students before they happen. Some students may perceive that as me being an asshole. So be it.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

smallcleanrat

Anyone have tips for sticking to a self-made schedule? Especially when it involves actually leaving home?

I've got into a bad habit of saying I'll do such-and-such starting at 9am but not actually getting to it until maybe late afternoon. This leads to me working later into the evenings when I am more tired and less effective.

I put the plan on my calendar, I set alarms, and I still put things off, especially if whatever it was I planned to do involved putting shoes on and catching the bus.

Maybe part of the difficulty is the continued personnel density restrictions on campus. I think part of what used to help motivate me to get out the door in the morning is getting to see and exchange a quick hello with PI and labmates when I got in. Now we're spread out physically and keeping different schedules so the lab is pretty sparse and quiet all the time.

I'm not sure what my issue is with the other stuff like writing or data analysis or even just taking a shower.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: smallcleanrat on March 14, 2021, 03:42:06 PM
Anyone have tips for sticking to a self-made schedule? Especially when it involves actually leaving home?

I've got into a bad habit of saying I'll do such-and-such starting at 9am but not actually getting to it until maybe late afternoon. This leads to me working later into the evenings when I am more tired and less effective.

I put the plan on my calendar, I set alarms, and I still put things off, especially if whatever it was I planned to do involved putting shoes on and catching the bus.

Maybe part of the difficulty is the continued personnel density restrictions on campus. I think part of what used to help motivate me to get out the door in the morning is getting to see and exchange a quick hello with PI and labmates when I got in. Now we're spread out physically and keeping different schedules so the lab is pretty sparse and quiet all the time.

I'm not sure what my issue is with the other stuff like writing or data analysis or even just taking a shower.

Hmm. I know that I have to set multiple alarms for myself. I'll set them 30 minutes, then 15 minutes before I need to go. It's easy to get distracted. Could you have someone call you?

Vkw10

Would it help to figure out a reward for yourself? For example, I keep chocolate espresso beans at the office, but only eat them if I arrive by 8:30. Partner has a jigsaw puzzle in his office, which he only works on before 9:00. Nephew puts a dollar in his concert ticket savings jar if he writes for thirty minutes before noon.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

smallcleanrat

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 14, 2021, 04:38:11 PM

Hmm. I know that I have to set multiple alarms for myself. I'll set them 30 minutes, then 15 minutes before I need to go. It's easy to get distracted. Could you have someone call you?

Haven't had good success with accountability buddies. Everyone I know is pretty stressed and distracted too, so the times I've tried setting something like this up the other person forgets more often than not.

[quote author=Vkw10 link=topic=1877.msg66245#msg66245 date=1615767920
Would it help to figure out a reward for yourself? For example, I keep chocolate espresso beans at the office, but only eat them if I arrive by 8:30. Partner has a jigsaw puzzle in his office, which he only works on before 9:00. Nephew puts a dollar in his concert ticket savings jar if he writes for thirty minutes before noon.
[/quote]

I've thought about leaving a paperback novel at work and allowing myself to read a chapter a day if I get in before 9am, but (1) it hasn't been as motivating as I'd hoped and (2) I'm really bad with inertia these days (i.e. not disciplined enough to cut myself off from the reward when I need to).

I think rewards aren't working too well for me because I'm feeling too drained to enjoy things.

I know the satisfaction of being productive (on schedule) would be a rewarding feeling, so I'm hoping once I'm back in that habit it will be more or less self-perpetuating. The hard part is getting back on track in the first place.

ciao_yall

My students are not doing well this semester. The ones who are in are in 100%, no doubt. But because we are 100% online, they are not building the relationships and connections and mutual learning they need to make it through the class.

Parasaurolophus

I'm very tired, but have managed to keep on top of marking and stuff. Don't have much energy to give my two deadbeat sections, though
I know it's a genus.

the_geneticist

OK, this is going to sound really counter-intuitive, but have you tried indulging in a silly game like FarmVille?  The game needs time to craft/build/grow things.  I found that telling myself "I'm not going to sit here and stare at my iPad for 10 minutes waiting for [thing in game].  I bet I could write that email/fold the laundry/shower before that finishes."
My other strategy that worked well was listing out a few things that needed doing (fold laundry, answer email, shower) and then decide which of those was the "Least Detestable Task".  I'd do that one.  Usually the getting going on one task gave me the motivation to just get the other ones done too.

Aster

Big Urban College held a full Spring Break. I got a lot of sleep and rest. I'm feeling pretty jazzed right now.

Spring Break is very useful.

apl68

Quote from: Aster on March 16, 2021, 11:09:44 AM
Big Urban College held a full Spring Break. I got a lot of sleep and rest. I'm feeling pretty jazzed right now.

Spring Break is very useful.

Makes you appreciate it more, doesn't it?
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.