Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The grading thread

Started by nonsensical, November 19, 2020, 03:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Quote from: downer on April 18, 2021, 04:09:56 PM
Quote from: Anon1787 on April 18, 2021, 02:42:29 PM
What happened to using paragraphs? I have a pile of admittedly short essays (500 words), but about 1/3rd of them are only one paragraph despite making several distinct points.

Put good paragraph use on the grading rubric!

I give students examples of essays, explanations of thesis statements and topic sentences, videos of introductory and body paragraphs, and checklists for each assignment. I also give directions on how to indent paragraphs. It still takes some students several assignments to understand the structure of an essay. Rubrics are your friend.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Langue_doc on April 19, 2021, 05:44:57 AM
What happened to using paragraphs? I have a pile of admittedly short essays (500 words), but about 1/3rd of them are only one paragraph despite making several distinct points.

I give students examples of essays, explanations of thesis statements and topic sentences, videos of introductory and body paragraphs, and checklists for each assignment. I also give directions on how to indent paragraphs. It still takes some students several assignments to understand the structure of an essay. Rubrics are your friend.

Along that line, I had a student complain about a lower than expected grade due to "not having been told" about certain requirements. I pointed Stu to the checklist, (which had been pointed out long ago), and the project explanation document, both of which outlined all of the requirements, so the lost points were due to certain requirements being completely absent. After that, Stu never responded.
It takes so little to be above average.

Sun_Worshiper

It is good that you do that. That said, it isn't the job of (for example) an economics professor to teach students how to write a comprehensible paper. It is wild to me that students at 18-22 years old haven't learned how paragraphs work and are upset that they have been penalized for writing something that is unreadable.

Parasaurolophus

Gonna have to step up and do some marking this week. I should do one quiz and a few essays today. Ugh.
I know it's a genus.

lightning

I'm in the downslide of the semester, so grading is no longer drudgery. Every grade that I submit to the LMS is symbolically one step closer to the end of the semester!

dr_codex

In spite of the compressed schedule, and squeezed grading period, I'm done for the Spring.

Two grade complaints already. So, they can write persuasive arguments quickly. Just not during the semester.

*sigh*

Fortitude to all you other graders!

dc
back to the books.

the_geneticist

Well, I learned the hard way that some question types automatically get partial credit on Canvas, but not others.  Now I have to go through just over 500 exams to adjust the score on a "categorize" question.  I think it's a good question, and most students got most of it correct.  But the dratted default is 0 points for any error. 
Sigh.
It's going to be that sort of week.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 19, 2021, 09:46:25 AM
Gonna have to step up and do some marking this week. I should do one quiz and a few essays today. Ugh.

Did two sets of quizzes (~70 total) and now I give up.

Quote from: the_geneticist on April 19, 2021, 01:45:32 PM
Well, I learned the hard way that some question types automatically get partial credit on Canvas, but not others.  Now I have to go through just over 500 exams to adjust the score on a "categorize" question.  I think it's a good question, and most students got most of it correct.  But the dratted default is 0 points for any error. 
Sigh.
It's going to be that sort of week.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
I know it's a genus.

Anon1787

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on April 19, 2021, 08:50:48 AM

It is good that you do that. That said, it isn't the job of (for example) an economics professor to teach students how to write a comprehensible paper. It is wild to me that students at 18-22 years old haven't learned how paragraphs work and are upset that they have been penalized for writing something that is unreadable.

Since I am not a big fan of rubrics I have only used them sporadically, but am considering using them more often (back when I was an undergrad, I had to chisel my essays on stone tablets and didn't receive any rubrics!). However, I resist the idea of including a detailed rubric on the basics of English composition (especially when I don't teach composition).

ergative

Friggin' late submissions. I had finished grading weeks ago and now two more essays pop up like zits.

Time to go pop some zits, I guess.

lightning

Quote from: ergative on April 20, 2021, 12:13:05 AM
Friggin' late submissions. I had finished grading weeks ago and now two more essays pop up like zits.

The mentality is left over from their high school days. High school teachers generally allow late submissions.

It used to be that college professors were the ones that taught these students about deadlines, the hard way.

Parasaurolophus

Haha, I hear you! My pile of late work always ends up being fairly significant, and it's really demoralizing. I suppose I should be harsher. Maybe I will, once I'm permanent.
I know it's a genus.

ergative

Quote from: lightning on April 20, 2021, 07:14:37 AM

The mentality is left over from their high school days. High school teachers generally allow late submissions.

It used to be that college professors were the ones that taught these students about deadlines, the hard way.

To be fair to the students, we have a pretty standard extension policy, with paperwork and everything that must be submitted to request one. These were legitimate extensions, requested and granted in advance. But, y'know, even if you can feel a zit developing under your skin, it's still not fun when it erupts on schedule.

Sun_Worshiper

Yesterday I graded a pile of exams; tomorrow a pile of research papers. Next week will bring more papers and more exams, but at least the end of the semester is near.

mythbuster

It's finals week. So far this week I have graded 25 lab reports, 6 grad research papers, and 15 undergrad research papers. 20 more undergrad papers to go and then the exams arrive, 36 in one class and 55 in another. All due by Tuesday at 10 am.

Oh and I guess the 3 emails of woe so far count as the equivalent of a partridge in a pear tree!