News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The grading thread

Started by nonsensical, November 19, 2020, 03:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinenomine

Still waiting on one student who asked for an extension, and news of another who's in the hospital (he'll get an Incomplete if I don't get a status update). Then, after the submission deadline, I get to chase down those faculty who didn't post their grades...
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

AmLitHist

FINISHED! (Later than I'd hoped, but still nearly 3 full days before the deadline--I'll take it!)

ergative

Quote from: mamselle on December 18, 2021, 07:31:58 AM
Does that mean you're done?

;--》

My note: for all those who despair of students who don't read the syllabus....

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/18/us/tennessee-professor-syllabus-money-trnd/index.html

M.

I saw this when it was going around on twitter. But, to be honest, the note in the syllabus wasn't terribly enticing. It gave the locker number and combination, but didn't tell me whether it would be worth my time to track it down. Also, it was a parenthetical in the middle of an unrelated sentence, so it looks an awful lot like an accidental copy-paste error. I can easily imagine students looking at that weird parenthetical, and shaking their heads and moving on.

Parasaurolophus

Done, but for a few stragglers with a hard deadline of 08h00 tomorrow. And then I can finally submit them all.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Submitted. Now I'm on parental leave, so everyone can bugger off while I clean out the inbox!
I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

Been playing Whac-a-Mole with late assignments and groveling emails all day.  Due tomorrow.  It's odd, but usually my students are scrambling for the "A," but this year they are content with their "B"s and "C"s.  They are just letting easy assignment points and rewrites languish.  Not sure what has changed.  Probably COVID, but I don't quite know why.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on December 19, 2021, 10:19:59 PM
Been playing Whac-a-Mole with late assignments and groveling emails all day.  Due tomorrow.  It's odd, but usually my students are scrambling for the "A," but this year they are content with their "B"s and "C"s.  They are just letting easy assignment points and rewrites languish.  Not sure what has changed.  Probably COVID, but I don't quite know why.

Yeah, I've had a few who got to a passing grade before the exam and just didn't write the exam--even after I wrote to them to extend the time period.

I also have a lot who forwent two pretty much free 10% components.
I know it's a genus.

filologos

• Class 1 § 1 -- DONE
  • Class 1 § 2 -- DONE
  • Class 1 § 3 -- DONE
  • Class 2

• written exams graded
    • final grades calculated
    • final grades submitted
  • Class 3  -- DONE
  • Theses

• Thesis #1 graded
    • Thesis #2 graded
    • Thesis #3 graded

the_geneticist

And I'm back with a "can you double-check this please" email.
Not from the student, but from financial aid advising.  Apparently if you fail ALL of your classes, they check to see if you attended/attempted most of the course.

Wahoo Redux

I made a major mistake on two combined classes of about 50 students.  Oops.  I thanked the student who pointed it out to me.  My bad only affects about a dozen students, but I guess grade grubbing and "I don't understand" emails serve a purpose.  I emailed both classes and apologized, explained that some of their grades will change.  Argh.  I am getting weary...
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

Who's being extra forgiving out of pity for those poor young'uns who have to go through things we didn't, not as much? (pub lic health crisis, inflation, etc)

mahagonny

Quote from: mahagonny on December 20, 2021, 06:15:03 PM
Who's being extra forgiving out of pity for those poor young'uns who have to go through things we didn't, not as much? (pub lic health crisis, inflation, etc)

...I admit to struggling to find the right balance at this time.

FishProf

Today is the final day to take the final exam WITHOUT WHICH STUDENTS CANNOT PASS MY COURSE.

Less than 50% have taken it thus far.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

ciao_yall

Quote from: FishProf on December 21, 2021, 04:05:32 AM
Today is the final day to take the final exam WITHOUT WHICH STUDENTS CANNOT PASS MY COURSE.

Less than 50% have taken it thus far.

Yep. Gave a lot of Incompletes to students who never did the final exam. Let's see if the big I on their transcript is the 999th reminder that they need...

secundem_artem

The class decided we now live in a "Pick your own due date" world.  It took a surprising amount of pleading to get everything submitted at all.... forget about on time.  But grade them I did and the grades have all been uploaded to the appropriate server.

And, mirabile dictu, not a single complaint about "Can't you just please add N points so I get an A?".  Those who got a B should be on their knees thanking the deity of their choice I took pity and did not penalize those who submitted (waaaaaayyy) late. I know some had Covid issues and being all rigorous and sh!t seemed a bit unkind. 
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances