News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The grading thread

Started by nonsensical, November 19, 2020, 03:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

I can't say I have 100% match with Marshwiggle; I've had the rare gem who did everything so badly that they still failed.  But they constitute a rounding error.

If this muttonhead had taken ANY of the lecture quizzes, and just guessed, he would have passed.

My rule for bumping up grades - If you did not do EVERYTHING in your power to pass my class, don't look to me t get you across the finish line.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

This week is the last week of class. I have to grade the following by Friday.

3 sets of homework.
1 set of labs.
1 set of tests.
1 set of discussion posts.
2 sets of final exams.

I just graded a set of formal labs. Yuck.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 24, 2022, 01:32:31 PM
This week is the last week of class. I have to grade the following by Friday.

3 sets of homework.
1 set of labs.
1 set of tests.
1 set of discussion posts.
2 sets of final exams.

I just graded a set of formal labs. Yuck.

And now it's all done!!!

mamselle

You get the 'Little Engine that Could' Award:

An oiler...

https://www.amazon.com/Plews-LubriMatic-50-337-Oiler-Spout/dp/B000CCM4ZK

Congrats!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

Summer grades are due by midnight Monday night.  I filed mine about an hour ago.  Yay!

Now, off to wrestle with Canvas for fall.  Canvas is fine, but while I have 4 sections of Comp I, each is a different length/delivery method--with 1 virtual and 3 online, the content/activities are different, and the 3 online sections are 16, 12, and 8 weeks long.  So no class copying for me; I have to enter each of the many deadlines separately in each section. Pfft. I've already gotten cross-eyed working on it a little bit this week.

evil_physics_witchcraft

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: AmLitHist on July 30, 2022, 07:54:58 AM
Summer grades are due by midnight Monday night.  I filed mine about an hour ago.  Yay!

Now, off to wrestle with Canvas for fall.  Canvas is fine, but while I have 4 sections of Comp I, each is a different length/delivery method--with 1 virtual and 3 online, the content/activities are different, and the 3 online sections are 16, 12, and 8 weeks long.  So no class copying for me; I have to enter each of the many deadlines separately in each section. Pfft. I've already gotten cross-eyed working on it a little bit this week.

Yay for grades. Boo for having to deal with Canvas. Honestly, I thought about starting prep for my classes, but the way things have been on my end, my schedule could totally change by the time class starts.

Are you going to take a little break?

AmLitHist

I am.  I've got about half of my classes set up, so I'm taking a couple of days and then will finish up later this week.  That will give me 2 weeks Canvas-free (until some lunkhead decides to change something that requires further attention!).

I have to say, after this first summer semester on Canvas, I'm OK with it. (Of course, check back in the fall--there will probably be something that doesn't work that sets me off then!) After 20 years of wrestling with and cussing Bb on a regular basis, I think I'm just happy to be out of all that.

The only thing I've been less than happy about is the upload time for video feedback in the SpeedGrader.  I have DSL, but it still seems to take forever to get those </2 minute videos to upload; that could be on the college's end, though. Since they've pushed so much more use of LMS, Teams, etc., we may be outstripping our much-improved server capacity.

Hope you get a bit of a break, too, EPW!

the_geneticist

Wow, that's a complicated schedule for your Fall!  Any chance you could hire an intern/IT person to put in all of the deadlines for the different sections?

OneMoreYear

I'm in the midst of course prep for Fall for four courses, one of which is a new prep. Two classes are high intensity. Class sizes are increased. I have reasonable control over my syllabi as long as I'm meeting course objectives (except for one class with multiple sections). So, as I'm going through my notes from last year on what worked, what needs adjustment, and what to never, ever do again, it's time to play: don't assign more work that you are going to be able to grade effectively.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: OneMoreYear on August 03, 2022, 10:15:06 AM
I'm in the midst of course prep for Fall for four courses, one of which is a new prep. Two classes are high intensity. Class sizes are increased. I have reasonable control over my syllabi as long as I'm meeting course objectives (except for one class with multiple sections). So, as I'm going through my notes from last year on what worked, what needs adjustment, and what to never, ever do again, it's time to play: don't assign more work that you are going to be able to grade effectively.

Yep. I learned this the hard way.

mythbuster

Follow the Coco Chanel rule: Look in the mirror and remove one accessory.

Set it up the way you think is doable, and then remove one assignment! For each course.  You can thank me at crunch time.

mamselle

Hmmm...

A friend of mine says that about presentations: "Write it all, then take out one section."

I wonder if that's where she got it from...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

Not sure where to post this link, but here it is anyway:

QuoteProsecutor: Iowa teens killed Spanish teacher over bad grade

https://apnews.com/article/crime-homicide-iowa-des-moines-fairfield-42eba22bc42bf9e52a165478916072c4

secundem_artem

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 02, 2022, 05:39:11 AM
Not sure where to post this link, but here it is anyway:

QuoteProsecutor: Iowa teens killed Spanish teacher over bad grade

https://apnews.com/article/crime-homicide-iowa-des-moines-fairfield-42eba22bc42bf9e52a165478916072c4

Fairfield has a substantial population of Transcendental Meditation folk.  Maharishi International University is there where courses may include "Yogic Flying" which is essentially sitting the Lotus position and bouncing around on yer arse.  It's not exactly the kind of community where you would expect a couple of kids to bludgeon a teacher to death. 

I currently have a red hot gunner for medical school as an advisee.  I would not be surprised at all if he murdered somebody who tanked his GPA and lowered his chances for the almighty MD degree.  Wonder if these 2 were of the same mindset.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances