News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The grading thread

Started by nonsensical, November 19, 2020, 03:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

One more set of Physics labs has been graded!!!

Langue_doc

One set of revised essays has been graded!

AvidReader

Quote from: AvidReader on December 05, 2020, 06:24:55 PM
I managed 14 essays today--the end of a big stack of about 40 that have been weighing on me for days. Hoping to churn through some (essay) exams and works cited entries tomorrow.

AR.

Got through all the exams and 14 more essays. Exams are indeed faster. Happiness. Works cited entries today; they are my last small assignments to grade, and start on a new stack of essays.

170 essays (and some annotated bibliographies) to go. One batch of grades is due today, and I'm good on those. All the other courses run for 2 more weeks. Phew!

wellfleet

Finally finished grading research papers after four more hours on Sunday. Whew!
One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.

nonsensical

Some of you have mountains and mountains of grading. Wow! I am feeling much better about my comparatively small stacks now.

I've finished the second stack, finally. It seemed to take longer than in previous semesters, but I'm not sure whether that's because I'm tired and it's taking longer, or I have more things to do and it's taking longer, or it's taking the same amount of time but feels longer. I'm about to get my third and final stack this week, which I anticipate will be the easiest of the three to grade.

RatGuy

Interested in seeing how folks would grade an answer like this:

Question: How did Steve mend the fight he was having with Jackie?
Answer: He got rid of all the ducks that he was keeping in the backyard.
Student answers: He got rid of all the ducks, plus he gave her ten dollars, plus he helped her brother move the couch.

In the story, there's no ten dollars nor is there a couch. When I google those phrases, all three turn up on a CourseHero study guide for that story, as the answer to that question.

So I'm tempted to give the students zero credit for that question. Generally when students take a shotgun approach to such questions, I give them partial credit. Here, though, they're clearly getting their answers from a (bad) study guide. On the other hand, our university has a pretty rigid procedure for academic misconduct, and I feel like that office won't look kindly on me for sending them a ton of cases over this single question.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

Quote from: RatGuy on December 07, 2020, 03:34:20 PM

Student answers: He got rid of all the ducks, plus he gave her ten dollars, plus he helped her brother move the couch.

In the story, there's no ten dollars nor is there a couch. When I google those phrases, all three turn up on a CourseHero study guide for that story, as the answer to that question.

So I'm tempted to give the students zero credit for that question. Generally when students take a shotgun approach to such questions, I give them partial credit. Here, though, they're clearly getting their answers from a (bad) study guide. On the other hand, our university has a pretty rigid procedure for academic misconduct, and I feel like that office won't look kindly on me for sending them a ton of cases over this single question.

When I've encountered similar situations I direct the student to the correct response in the story/text and copy and paste the plagiarized sentence and paragraph with a note that the references to the ten dollars and the couch do not appear in the story, but only on this particular website. I also add a warning that I am required to report all instances of academic dishonesty. This, along with the zero for the assignment usually takes care of the problem.

nonsensical

I agree with Langue_doc's approach. Also, I am now done with all of my stacks of grading for this semester!

mamselle

Did you use a rubric?

《...ducks and runs...》

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

I use rubrics for grading essays as they save me time and spare me from complaints, whining, and grade grubbing. I allow rewrites for higher grades--actual revisions and not cosmetic touch-ups.

EdnaMode

Congrats to everyone who is done, or close to done with their grading. I'm in a momentary grading lull. Final projects are due on Monday (first day of finals week) and I have rubrics for those. I also have final exams. The one good thing about the finals being online is that the T/F and multiple guess portions are automatically graded. I still have to go through the short answers and problem solving one at a time of course, and that's the majority of the exam, but any bit helps.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

Harlow2

My boatloads of papers don't get submitted until 11 days from now. Happy holidays to me.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: Harlow2 on December 10, 2020, 08:47:05 AM
My boatloads of papers don't get submitted until 11 days from now. Happy holidays to me.

Wow! You don't get papers until the 21st? When do you have to grade them by?

Completed grading of a final exam. Have 2 more individual lab check-outs (virtually).
Then a batch of papers. For the 1st time ever, I have students doing the math (woot!) to determine if they can carry forward their grade from previous draft instead of revising and still maintain the grade they want (allowed in the syllabus; designed to encourage them to submit good quality penultimate drafts). I'm checking their calculations, which so far have been accurate. I'm taking this as a win for numeracy.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: RatGuy on December 07, 2020, 03:34:20 PM

I'd give it a zero plus Langue_doc's explanation of the zero.

For my part, I have two quizzes I should mark today.
I know it's a genus.