Main Menu

The grading thread

Started by nonsensical, November 19, 2020, 03:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 10, 2020, 09:52:16 AM
Quote from: RatGuy on December 07, 2020, 03:34:20 PM
Interested in seeing how folks would grade an answer like this:

Question: How did Steve mend the fight he was having with Jackie?
Answer: He got rid of all the ducks that he was keeping in the backyard.
Student answers: He got rid of all the ducks, plus he gave her ten dollars, plus he helped her brother move the couch.

In the story, there's no ten dollars nor is there a couch. When I google those phrases, all three turn up on a CourseHero study guide for that story, as the answer to that question.

So I'm tempted to give the students zero credit for that question. Generally when students take a shotgun approach to such questions, I give them partial credit. Here, though, they're clearly getting their answers from a (bad) study guide. On the other hand, our university has a pretty rigid procedure for academic misconduct, and I feel like that office won't look kindly on me for sending them a ton of cases over this single question.

I'd give it a zero plus Langue_doc's explanation of te zero.

For my part, I have two quizzes J should mark today.

Zero, with an explanation. "Please show me in the story where it says there is 10 dollars and a couch."

I had a student write as her answer "See Appendix B." In the teacher's edition, there was an Appendix B which gave sample answers. The student edition had no Appendix B.

Parasaurolophus

S'pose I gotta mark a quiz today. Ugh.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Oy vey!

I'm in the middle of compiling final grades and a student keeps emailing me about a test where stu didn't answer most of the short answer questions. I feel for the student, but I can't grade what isn't there!

I'm frustrated, stu is frustrated, everyone is frustrated this semester.

I finally told stu to just wait until I finish grading this week.

Parasaurolophus

I should probably mark five or so papers today. Sigh.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 14, 2020, 09:52:38 AM
I should probably mark five or so papers today. Sigh.

Done! One of today's five was plagiarized, and although I knew it almost immediately, it took a while to find the exact sources. It's the waste of time that bothers me most, and now I have to schedule a Zoom meeting with her. Sigh.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Graded 2 sets of lab finals and 2 sets of lab reports. What a pain in the butt.

EdnaMode

I'm hoping to get the bulk of the final projects graded today, got a good start yesterday.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

Parasaurolophus

I have to scale up to marking ten papers today. Ugh.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Three sets of finals and four sets of lab reports. Can I do it???

OneMoreYear

6 research papers. I don't want to.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Student submits a file to turnitin that was written in Notepad. Wtf???

the_geneticist

Waiting on my TAs to finish grading the last lab assignment.  Did I mention that I said I wanted these grades last Friday???

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 15, 2020, 09:49:47 AM
I have to scale up to marking ten papers today. Ugh.

I did it! And the last quiz that needed marking, too. Ugh indeed!
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Just finished a marathon exam grading on zoom with the TAs! Not making the grades visible until tomorrow though because I don't want to deal with student emails tonight.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

I graded 3 sets of lab reports today and 1 final exam. Working on the last set of lab reports.

God give me strength!

Then, Calgon take me away!!!