News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The grading thread

Started by nonsensical, November 19, 2020, 03:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biologist_

I am glad that my institution only requires the syllabus to include instructor contact information, textbook information, grading methods, attendance policy (if any), course learning outcomes, and "other necessary information" according to the instructor's judgment.

I include a bunch of my own boilerplate about academic integrity, healthy respectful class community, late work policy, study strategies, etc., but it's all stuff that I have written to suit my own instructional style/preferences/personality, and it's not too long.

FishProf

I only post my "Syllabus" on the CMS.  There is a Syllabus Item, and my actual syllabus is a single document.  Each required boilerplate is a separate file with its own link.  I have provided all I am required to provide, but not quite in the manner they expect.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 08, 2021, 09:14:34 PM
I'm ahead on essays, and kind of far behind on quizzes. Sigh.

Am caught up.
I know it's a genus.

lilyb

Quote from: FishProf on April 10, 2021, 05:09:36 AM
I only post my "Syllabus" on the CMS.  There is a Syllabus Item, and my actual syllabus is a single document.  Each required boilerplate is a separate file with its own link.  I have provided all I am required to provide, but not quite in the manner they expect.

I've done the same thing. But a colleague claims that my institution could get in trouble with accreditors. We have a syllabus repository they can access. They, however, won't be able to access my course management page easily with these separate files.

It just kills me, though, to include all this boilerplate stuff in the syllabus. Pages of bloat make the document too hard to navigate, as any document design expert would note.

FishProf

Quote from: lilyb on April 11, 2021, 03:27:07 PM
But a colleague claims that my institution could get in trouble with accreditors.

Um, how?

AvidReader

Quote from: FishProf on April 10, 2021, 05:09:36 AM

I've done the same thing. But a colleague claims that my institution could get in trouble with accreditors. We have a syllabus repository they can access. They, however, won't be able to access my course management page easily with these separate files.

It just kills me, though, to include all this boilerplate stuff in the syllabus. Pages of bloat make the document too hard to navigate, as any document design expert would note.

We are required to file a syllabus for every class with our dept. secretary, though I don't think anyone checks them. I have been taking an opposite approach as FishProf. I upload a full syllabus with all the bloat, and then I make a separate PDF with the class schedule. I post it directly beneath the syllabus.

AR.

FishProf

Quote from: AvidReader on April 12, 2021, 04:16:28 AM
We are required to file a syllabus for every class with our dept. secretary, though I don't think anyone checks them. I have been taking an opposite approach as FishProf. I upload a full syllabus with all the bloat, and then I make a separate PDF with the class schedule. I post it directly beneath the syllabus.

For the file that goes to Dept Secretary, I just combine the syllabus and all the boilerplates into a single (egregiously) long file, which NO ONE ever reads.

EdnaMode

We finally wised up and for all the boilerplate stuff, we can now put a link to a website where someone (probably a work-study student) put all the stuff we're required to add to our syllabi like School of Engineering policies, University policies, access to accommodations, etc.

But as to grading... my whole day is going to be dedicated to getting caught up on grading all the stuff that was due at the end of last week **whinge moan** I'm SO tempted to go through and grade at least part of these as credit/no-credit. Oh, look! You turned something in! Points for you!
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

lilyb

Quote from: FishProf on April 11, 2021, 04:49:49 PM
But a colleague claims that my institution could get in trouble with accreditors.

Um, how?

Admin claims that all the ADA material, in particular, needs to be on the syllabus for compliance with federal regulations. There's also material that has to be on there for assessment. (We got in big trouble with accreditors because no one wanted to do assessment). Perhaps my institution is a bit paranoid because of this history.

Aster

Eventually, the entire student handbook will end up on the course syllabus.

FishProf

Quote from: lilyb on April 12, 2021, 09:20:29 AM

Um, how?

Admin claims that all the ADA material, in particular, needs to be on the syllabus for compliance with federal regulations. There's also material that has to be on there for assessment. (We got in big trouble with accreditors because no one wanted to do assessment). Perhaps my institution is a bit paranoid because of this history.

Fair enough.   Do hyperlinks count?

fishbrains

I break my syllabus into Course Information, Course Schedule, Course Policies, Institutional Policies, and Other Information the College Wants You To Know. The Syllabus Quiz covers the first three, and maybe one or two institutional policies (plagiarism, classroom conduct). The schedule is presented separately on the CMS as well. My syllabus for most courses is now 9 or 10 pages long, so putting the important stuff (at least to me) first and focusing the Syllabus Quiz on this helps keep it all somewhat functional. Kind of.

Quote from: Aster on April 12, 2021, 09:26:43 AM
Eventually, the entire student handbook will end up on the course syllabus.

We have one institutional policy that actually says, "Refer to Student Handbook" with a link to the entire Handbook.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

lilyb

Quote from: FishProf on April 12, 2021, 12:03:28 PM
Quote from: lilyb on April 12, 2021, 09:20:29 AM

Um, how?

Fair enough.   Do hyperlinks count?

They should, as long as the document and linked items are easily accessible without a password.

Sun_Worshiper

This week my students are completing an major exam in one class and a major essay in another. This means that I will spend next week in grading hell.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on April 13, 2021, 08:23:39 AM
This week my students are completing an major exam in one class and a major essay in another. This means that I will spend next week in grading hell.

Gah!  Next time, see if you can stagger them at least to a Monday vs Friday due date.