News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The grading thread

Started by nonsensical, November 19, 2020, 03:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

Spring grades are submitted!  Except for the EIGHT sections that have one or more students reported for dishonesty & still no reply from Student Conduct.  Drop dead deadline is 5:00pm tomorrow. . . .

evil_physics_witchcraft

I graded about 42 lab reports today. I don't know how I did it, but I did it.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 19, 2021, 08:19:25 PM

Ugh. My grading queue feels overwhelming, but if EPW can grade 42 lab reports in a day, maybe I can grade these 50 assignments.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: OneMoreYear on June 20, 2021, 10:26:42 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 19, 2021, 08:19:25 PM

Ugh. My grading queue feels overwhelming, but if EPW can grade 42 lab reports in a day, maybe I can grade these 50 assignments.

You can do it! I'm currently working on spreading my grading out during the weekdays. I'd like to have free weekends again, but that hasn't happened yet.

OneMoreYear

I was not even close. It's going to be a long couple of days. Next year, multiple choice tests during short summer terms! (no, not really, but must reduce grading load).

evil_physics_witchcraft

Today I will attempt to grade 40 lab reports again and some late homework. I have a student who was supposed to meet with me today and hasn't turned in any lab reports since the beginning of the semester. I'm pretty sure that's why the stu wanted to meet and I do not want to add more lab reports to my pile.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Double post.

I fell asleep this afternoon and woke up feeling groggy and icky, so I didn't finish grading. Instead, we ordered out pizza! Hopefully tomorrow will be more fruitful.

Charlotte

Speaking of grading... I met a professor this week who tells me he gives a B for meeting all assignment requirements and expectations. He only gives an A to students who go above and beyond, submitting outstanding work. He was quite critical of professors who give an A for students who meet course requirements.

I can see his point, but I'm not sure how I feel about this. Does anyone else give a B for meeting assignment requirements?

Langue_doc

Quote from: Charlotte on June 26, 2021, 05:53:11 AM
Speaking of grading... I met a professor this week who tells me he gives a B for meeting all assignment requirements and expectations. He only gives an A to students who go above and beyond, submitting outstanding work. He was quite critical of professors who give an A for students who meet course requirements.

I can see his point, but I'm not sure how I feel about this. Does anyone else give a B for meeting assignment requirements?

Meeting expectations: C
Above expectations: B
Above and beyond expectations: A

The prof you talked to might have a point though as he might not have to field complaints about being a "harsh grader".

marshwiggle

Quote from: Charlotte on June 26, 2021, 05:53:11 AM

I had a prof who said exactly that as an undergrad. I hated it then, and I've spent my whole career trying to avoid doing anything like that.

The big problem, as I see it, is that "above and beyond" is totally undefined and totally subjective. My prof was talking about lab reports. So what would "above and beyond" mean?

• Include all kinds of background theory related to the lab? How much?
  • Do more mathematical analysis of the results? How much?
  • Write more discussion and conclusions? How much?

You might as well add "Get the report typed and bound" and even "Wash his car", since they're still "above and beyond". And what about precedent; once I've done one thing that is "above and beyond" today, will I need to do that and more tomorrow?

To my mind, it's just arrogance that wants to be smug and superior. If there's something that you think students ought to be doing automatically, TELL THEM!

It takes so little to be above average.

Charlotte

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 26, 2021, 06:10:44 AM

The big problem, as I see it, is that "above and beyond" is totally undefined and totally subjective. My prof was talking about lab reports. So what would "above and beyond" mean?

You might as well add "Get the report typed and bound" and even "Wash his car", since they're still "above and beyond". And what about precedent; once I've done one thing that is "above and beyond" today, will I need to do that and more tomorrow?

To my mind, it's just arrogance that wants to be smug and superior. If there's something that you think students ought to be doing automatically, TELL THEM!

I think this is why I feel a bit doubtful of it. I understood the idea behind it and even agree that an A student should be the one who does more than the required work. However, it is the subjective part that bugs me. Presumably, a list of assignment requirements is just that: what the assignment requires. To expect students to figure out what above and beyond means seems a little unfair. I read one of his assignments and I wasn't clear on what he wanted. If I am unsure what he wants on an assignment, would his students be able to figure it out?

marshwiggle

Quote from: Charlotte on June 26, 2021, 06:32:50 AM

I think this is why I feel a bit doubtful of it. I understood the idea behind it and even agree that an A student should be the one who does more than the required work. However, it is the subjective part that bugs me. Presumably, a list of assignment requirements is just that: what the assignment requires. To expect students to figure out what above and beyond means seems a little unfair. I read one of his assignments and I wasn't clear on what he wanted. If I am unsure what he wants on an assignment, would his students be able to figure it out?

Exactly. And if some's good, more's better. Why not just give students the textbook at the beginning of term, and tell them when the exam will be? Or even better, don't give them a text; just show them the course description in the calendar and let THEM figure out what to read, study, etc. for the exam.

The arbitrary limits on what they're told and what they need to figure out guess on their own is what makes it just a stupid shell game. I think the motivation is some profs hate giving out A's but know that good students will actually pay attention and do exactly what they're told. Thus they have to make unspecified hoops to jump through so they don't have to award them.

downer

I give a D for meeting course requirements barely. A C for meeting them solidly. A B for good work and an A for very strong work.

At least, that's my basic approach for 4 year colleges. I tend to be a bit more liberal at the community college.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Langue_doc

Quote from: Charlotte on June 26, 2021, 06:32:50 AM

I provide examples of essays and research papers that earn As , Bs, and Cs, along with explanations.

marshwiggle

Quote from: downer on June 26, 2021, 06:54:43 AM
I give a D for meeting course requirements barely. A C for meeting them solidly. A B for good work and an A for very strong work.

Having been in this business for almost 4 decades, I still have no idea what the difference is between these. How is "solidly meeting course requirements" NOT "good work"????? If it isn't, then WTF does "course requirements" mean????