News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

December research

Started by nonsensical, December 01, 2020, 03:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

Got totally bogged down in end of semester teaching and service stuff, but finally back to research. Good news is while I was otherwise engaged the grad students were finishing drafts and most stuff is close to ready to submit! I think I may actually get through all the papers on the list by the end of the month, though the grants have been neglected and I'll/we'll have to hit those hard in January.

December goals:

Get comments/edits back to grad student #1 and  collaborators on so it can hopefully be submitted
Get comments/edits back to other collaborators on other paper (this week)

Help grad student #3 do her R&R on paper 1 revisions and resubmit
Feedback/edits for grad student #3 on paper 2 and hopefully submit
Feedback/edits for grad student #1 on other paper so we can get a full draft to collaborators and hopefully submit
Feedback on whole-lab short-report paper full draft and hopefully submit
Continue to make progress on revising two grants with collaborators (Feb and March deadlines)
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on December 01, 2020, 07:40:34 AM
December Goals:

• Finish draft of book chapter to share with writers of chapter before ours so we can ensure no overlap
  • Get R&R due early January revised!
  • Once we get IRB approval on new study, figure out when to start data collection with my subfield colleague
  • Continue on second half of rejected paper from summer with co-authors - make progress
  • Got a rejection yesterday with two colleagues - need to revise with the decent feedback received and submit elsewhere

I worked on four projects today which seems crazy because my brain bandwidth was limited (I needed more time on everything)!

• Spent some time on R&R due 1/8 (yesterday I met with a co-author for an hour on edits too).
  • Finalized the edits I can for R&R due 1/31. My co-author is going to work on hu's this weekend and I think we can actually submit this by Wednesday next week!
  • Met with my three co-authors for book chapter. Today was our soft deadline, but it is actually due 1/15. We are sharing it with the authors of a different chapter (in the edited book) next week to ensure we do not overlap on topics before the deadline.
  • My subfield colleague and I interviewed our first participant in the new study today. That study is taking off with interviews starting to be scheduled by participants during the entire winter break.

As Bob Dylan samg, "The only thing I knew how to do was keep on keepin' on..."

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on December 01, 2020, 07:01:43 AM
December goals:

• Make progress on R&R (due in late January)
  • Distribute survey for project with colleagues
  • Make progress data collection project (basically amounts to keeping RAs on task)
  • Format and finalize accepted manuscript with colleagues

The month isn't over yet, but I'm planning to take it easy for the next two weeks, and my goals for the month have all been accomplished: R&R revisions are well underway; first round of survey distribution is going out today; data collection continued in the first half of the month and RAs are secured for next semester; manuscript with colleague has been finalized and resubmitted (waiting for proofs). 

Parasaurolophus

Now that the marking is over, I need to spend some quality time on

• Book Section #3
  • January R&R
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

More bits written on Saturday, and an overview chart started that will help with correlations and various sections' assumptions/affirmations.

More to do.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

All the paper drafts are now off my plate for the moment (until students hopefully turn them around with revisions for me soon). Until then, time to touch base with collaborators and get our heads back into the grant revisions finally.

December goals:

Get comments/edits back to grad student #1 and  collaborators on so it can hopefully be submitted
Get comments/edits back to other collaborators on other paper (this week)

Help grad student #3 do her R&R on paper 1 revisions and resubmit
Feedback/edits for grad student #3 on paper 2 and hopefully submit
Feedback/edits for grad student #1 on other paper so we can get a full draft to collaborators and hopefully submit
Feedback on whole-lab short-report paper full draft and hopefully submit
Continue to make progress on revising two grants with collaborators (Feb and March deadlines)
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 21, 2020, 10:01:21 AM
Now that the marking is over, I need to spend some quality time on

• Book Section #3
  • January R&R

Spent too much time basking in being done and answering grubby emails, but hey, whatevs. Got a bit done anyway!
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Today's a day for more of the same.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Looking forward to a weekend of good work and not too many interruptions.

There are things to be said for being able to say, "No, I won't be coming to your three-day house party with the gang this year..."

Pancake brunches and Chicken Cordon Bleu dinners notwithstanding...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on December 01, 2020, 07:40:34 AM
December Goals:

• Finish draft of book chapter to share with writers of chapter before ours so we can ensure no overlap
  • Get R&R due early January revised!
  • Once we get IRB approval on new study, figure out when to start data collection with my subfield colleague
  • Continue on second half of rejected paper from summer with co-authors - make progress
  • Got a rejection yesterday with two colleagues - need to revise with the decent feedback received and submit elsewhere

Even though this was not on my list, we submitted the R&R due 1/31 last week! I am still trying to finalize the R&R due 1/8. It is almost there but only two of us are working on it and we need the other authors to help, though they are not checking emails until 1/4. I will just be stressed out until it is submitted, I guess. However, getting the book chapter and other R&R done eased my worries, as I now think I can use most of January to finalize my spring courses. I am actually relieved that my two colleagues on the rejected paper have not reached out to revise it based on feedback and submit elsewhere yet. I can use some time to finish other projects. Plus, my subfield colleague and I started data collection on the new project.

nonsensical

Before the break, I gave a student feedback on a chapter draft that turned up in my inbox. Very nice to get that off my plate before Christmas. I'll probably not be working that much for the rest of 2020 but am cheering all of you on if you're using this time to make progress on things.

mamselle

A long list needed for the next step in the chapter is done.

WHEW!

M.

Parasaurolophus

Nothing today or yesterday, but I'll be back tomorrow. There's plenty of time for me to finish up my December goals. Plus, I think I've put the finishing touches on Co-Authored Paper 1, and it's ready to go out again.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Today I clean out my inbox, and continue working on the third book section.
I know it's a genus.

traductio

My semester was so busy that when it ended, I had a lot of pent-up writing energy. (Writing and running are the things I do to unwind.) I had a chapter of a book ready in note form (I'm mapping this book out as if each chapter were a lecture I will deliver to a class, and I make the slides first, the text second), and I've written about 4k words since school let out.

I am very, very lucky to have a profession that rewards me for what I would want to be doing in any case!