News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

December research

Started by nonsensical, December 01, 2020, 03:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 27, 2020, 08:03:15 AM
Today I clean out my inbox, and continue working on the third book section.

I also read a cool new article outside my sub-disciplinary wheelhouse (but pertaining to dinosaurs!).
I know it's a genus.

traductio

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 27, 2020, 05:37:14 PM

I also read a cool new article outside my sub-disciplinary wheelhouse (but pertaining to dinosaurs!).

That's cool! I gave my son a book about dinosaurs for Christmas, and we learned lots of things from it last night. Plus, have you seen the pictures of the newly discovered dinosaur in Brazil (link)? It had feathers and very strange shoulder rods.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: traductio on December 27, 2020, 06:16:11 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 27, 2020, 05:37:14 PM

That's cool! I gave my son a book about dinosaurs for Christmas, and we learned lots of things from it last night. Plus, have you seen the pictures of the newly discovered dinosaur in Brazil (link)? It had feathers and very strange shoulder rods.

Oh wow! I hadn't seen that! Especially relevant because the article was on reasonable disagreement and theory-choice, and the examples all pertained to bizarre dinosaurian structures!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

I was thinking of starting a thread on recent dino discoveries, in fact....

Just think, Para, if you'd had those rods, you might not have needed that big bump, which I'm sure must be an awful pain to deal with if you ever get sinusitis....

Kidding....

Anyway, have more to do to wrap up "day job," so it's going to be 2 more weeks of slogging through that before I'm free to fly/write what I really wanna write.

I do what you do, Traductio, in letting visuals drive the text, and envisioning the visual narrative as the armature for the piece overall.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on December 28, 2020, 03:11:10 AM
I was thinking of starting a thread on recent dino discoveries, in fact....

Just think, Para, if you'd had those rods, you might not have needed that big bump, which I'm sure must be an awful pain to deal with if you ever get sinusitis....

=p

Today, I need to try to finish up Book Section #3, and maybe get a light start on BS #4.
I know it's a genus.

traductio

Quote from: mamselle on December 28, 2020, 03:11:10 AM
I do what you do, Traductio, in letting visuals drive the text, and envisioning the visual narrative as the armature for the piece overall.

M.

That's a technique I fell into by accident, really, but I wrote an entire book that way and, at the risk of immodesty, it's one of the best things I've written. It's funny and students find it engaging, which is more than I can say for any other book I've written. Hence the decision to take the same approach this time.

mamselle

In art history and related work, I think a lot of people do that.

It used to be (when slides in the tray were the thing) that I'd assemble the slides first, then write the text around them.

Now, with PowerPoints, it's even more seductive....all those visuals....yum....visuals....yum...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

darkstarrynight

Today I met virtually with a friend from college who reached out to me about working together on a new study. Though I am worried about taking on a lot of new projects, it sounded interesting and is in line with my research agenda, so here begins a new experience and collaborator! I am also collecting data for the recently started study today. That means I am putting off my R&R with the impending deadline, but intend to get back to that this week.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 28, 2020, 08:49:05 AM

Today, I need to try to finish up Book Section #3, and maybe get a light start on BS #4.

Done! Wrote about 700 words, which isn't so bad. The trouble is that these sections are easy to start, but hard to tie up and finish.
I know it's a genus.

traductio

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 28, 2020, 06:14:40 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 28, 2020, 08:49:05 AM

Done! Wrote about 700 words, which isn't so bad. The trouble is that these sections are easy to start, but hard to tie up and finish.

700 words is a good day by my measure -- nice work.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: traductio on December 28, 2020, 07:27:03 PM

700 words is a good day by my measure -- nice work.

Thanks!

I'm taking tomorrow off, so today I'll try to finish these four sections up--or, at least, get them as close to finished as I can.
I know it's a genus.

spork

I have 72 hours, actually less than 45 at this point, to review page proofs and correct any mistakes for a journal article.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 29, 2020, 08:28:27 AM

I'm taking tomorrow off, so today I'll try to finish these four sections up--or, at least, get them as close to finished as I can.

850 words today. The trouble is that I really lack the will to properly finish them.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: spork on December 29, 2020, 01:02:19 PM
I have 72 hours, actually less than 45 at this point, to review page proofs and correct any mistakes for a journal article.

Congrats! Such a good problem to have (if slightly pressurized...)

The baby's about to be born, then...

M.

darkstarrynight

Conducted a fascinating research interview today, but have been slacking on the R&R. I need to get that done. I am hopeful I can review an article before tomorrow is over so I can cross something else off of my list.