News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

December research

Started by nonsensical, December 01, 2020, 03:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nonsensical

Tell us your research goals for December, then check in about how you're doing. Some of us post daily, or nearly so, with updates and support.

Here are the projects currently on my list:
Give graduate student feedback on fellowship proposal
Give other graduate student feedback on proposed experiment
Finish R&R with former lab members
Referee report
Give potential post-doc feedback on a fellowship proposal
Finish a draft of the project description for a long-suffering grant
Plus whatever else people send me to work on this month

What is on everyone else's list for this month?

Sun_Worshiper

December goals:

• Make progress on R&R (due in late January)
  • Distribute survey for project with colleagues
  • Make progress data collection project (basically amounts to keeping RAs on task)
  • Format and finalize accepted manuscript with colleagues

darkstarrynight

December Goals:

• Finish draft of book chapter to share with writers of chapter before ours so we can ensure no overlap
  • Get R&R due early January revised!
  • Once we get IRB approval on new study, figure out when to start data collection with my subfield colleague
  • Continue on second half of rejected paper from summer with co-authors - make progress
  • Got a rejection yesterday with two colleagues - need to revise with the decent feedback received and submit elsewhere

Puget

December goals:

• Get comments/edits back to grad student #1 and  collaborators on so it can hopefully be submitted (this week)
  • Help grad student #3 do her R&R on paper 1 revisions and resubmit
  • Feedback/edits for grad student #3 on paper 2 and hopefully submit
  • Feedback/edits for grad student #1 on other paper so we can get a full draft to collaborators and hopefully submit
  • Hopefully grad student #2's paper comes back with R&R soon and we can resubmit?
  • Continue to make progress on revising two grants with collaborators (Feb and March deadlines)
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

December goals, in no particular order:

• Finish the touchups on Co-Authored Paper 1 and send it out.
    • Write this referee report.
    • January R&R
    • Write 4 sections of book ('chapters' isn't the appropriate word, they're more like short case studies)
    • Have a think about February blog post (stretch)]
    • Touch up and resend Rejected Paper (stretch)

Today, if I have any spare time after the teaching stuff (doubtful), I'll probably just tackle the referee report. Need to finish reading the paper.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

I edited the proofs for a paper today. I always get nervous that I will miss something and also feel accomplished that the last thing I have to do for a particular paper is done now.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: nonsensical on December 02, 2020, 08:44:56 AM
I edited the proofs for a paper today. I always get nervous that I will miss something and also feel accomplished that the last thing I have to do for a particular paper is done now.

Congrats! I am waiting on one co-author to finalize proof edits and then I need to send them back before Friday.

Puget

Did one, but added one (not that I'm complaining, more papers are good, especially when someone else does most of the work!)

December goals:

Get comments/edits back to grad student #1 and  collaborators on so it can hopefully be submitted
Get comments/edits back to other collaborators on other paper (this week)
Help grad student #3 do her R&R on paper 1 revisions and resubmit
Feedback/edits for grad student #3 on paper 2 and hopefully submit
Feedback/edits for grad student #1 on other paper so we can get a full draft to collaborators and hopefully submit
Hopefully grad student #2's paper comes back with R&R soon and we can resubmit?
Continue to make progress on revising two grants with collaborators (Feb and March deadlines)[/li][/list]

"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

I'll try to finish up Co-Authored Pape 1 today, but I'm stuck in the outside world for most of the day, so we'll see.

Got the book contract today, though, so that's definitely going ahead. Oh well!
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 02, 2020, 10:50:10 AM
I'll try to finish up Co-Authored Pape 1 today, but I'm stuck in the outside world for most of the day, so we'll see.

Didn't finish, but did a large spot of work. We're so close!
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on December 01, 2020, 07:01:43 AM
December goals:

• Make progress on R&R (due in late January)
  • Distribute survey for project with colleagues
  • Make progress data collection project (basically amounts to keeping RAs on task)
  • Format and finalize accepted manuscript with colleagues

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on December 01, 2020, 07:40:34 AM
December Goals:

• Finish draft of book chapter to share with writers of chapter before ours so we can ensure no overlap
  • Get R&R due early January revised!
  • Once we get IRB approval on new study, figure out when to start data collection with my subfield colleague
  • Continue on second half of rejected paper from summer with co-authors - make progress
  • Got a rejection yesterday with two colleagues - need to revise with the decent feedback received and submit elsewhere

Got IRB approval today on the new study, met with co-authors last night on the "second half of rejected paper" manuscript. I am planning to work on the book chapter draft more today after I finish grading.

nonsensical

Quote from: nonsensical on December 01, 2020, 03:16:26 AM
Give graduate student feedback on fellowship proposal

Did this, though I may be looking at another version of this before the month is over, so I'm not sure that I can actually cross it off the list. I'm excited about the ideas in this proposal and want to work hard to help this student win the fellowship.

Parasaurolophus

If I have time in between teaching and meetings today, I'll work on Co-Authored Paper 1. Doubt I'll have the time, though.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

I was hoping to submit the R&R today, but as I was making the final edits I realized I needed one more thing from my co-authors. So I am waiting to get that thing and then to submit. I did make the final edits, at least.