News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

December research

Started by nonsensical, December 01, 2020, 03:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

December goals:

Get comments/edits back to grad student #1 and  collaborators on so it can hopefully be submitted
Get comments/edits back to other collaborators on other paper (this week)
Help grad student #3 do her R&R on paper 1 revisions and resubmit
Feedback/edits for grad student #3 on paper 2 and hopefully submit
Feedback/edits for grad student #1 on other paper so we can get a full draft to collaborators and hopefully submit
Hopefully grad student #2's paper comes back with R&R soon and we can resubmit?
Continue to make progress on revising two grants with collaborators (Feb and March deadlines)[/li][/list]
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

I was hoping to finish at least one research task today, but editing the association's newsletter took me all day. Sigh.

I'm falling behind on everything these days, and just can't seem to catch up.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Okok. Today, I finish reading for my referee report.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 06, 2020, 08:56:15 AM
Okok. Today, I finish reading for my referee report.

Done! Gonna have to find a tactful way to self-reference, however, which I hate doing in reports.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Be slightly self-deprecating, offer it humbly, or at least without any more claim than you'd make for someone else's work (pretend to yourself, for the moment, it is someone else's work) as a consideration.

I had someone try to beat me over the head with her work, it was a true turn-off. I could tell it was hers by the way she kept going on about its virtues....as if she wanted me to guess.

Took me forever to look it up and open the file.

My goal: OK, the next shiny bead on the string, now all the bits and bobs are amassed, is to skip the intro and work on Chapter One. That seems like where the center of gravity is for the moment.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on December 07, 2020, 08:01:04 AM
Be slightly self-deprecating, offer it humbly, or at least without any more claim than you'd make for someone else's work (pretend to yourself, for the moment, it is someone else's work) as a consideration.

I had someone try to beat me over the head with her work, it was a true turn-off. I could tell it was hers by the way she kept going on about its virtues....as if she wanted me to guess.

Took me forever to look it up and open the file.

Yeah, totally!

I nearly forgot I had to do a research thing today. So, today's thing is to start the referee report. I might even make it most of the way through, because it's a pretty decent paper (and the verdict is positive).
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 07, 2020, 03:13:05 PM
today's thing is to start the referee report. I might even make it most of the way through, because it's a pretty decent paper (and the verdict is positive).

I did almost all of it. Tomorrow I'll just have to clean up the report a titch, and I can send it off.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Today:

• Finish referee report
  • Start work on a book section
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on December 01, 2020, 07:40:34 AM
December Goals:

• Finish draft of book chapter to share with writers of chapter before ours so we can ensure no overlap
  • Get R&R due early January revised!
  • Once we get IRB approval on new study, figure out when to start data collection with my subfield colleague
  • Continue on second half of rejected paper from summer with co-authors - make progress
  • Got a rejection yesterday with two colleagues - need to revise with the decent feedback received and submit elsewhere

• Book chapter is moving along - this will get done before the deadline.
  • I worked on the R&R due in early January today with a co-author. This is moving along too.
  • My co-author on the recently IRB approved study are submitting a research request to an organization tomorrow so we can start data collection soon.
  • The "first half of rejected paper" got a very positive R&R from a different journal yesterday! We have until the end of January to get this done, and the revisions seem pretty minor. This helps inform the second half of the paper that we are working on right now, woohoo!
  • Got the proof from a forthcoming article this month, and the final PDF of my other forthcoming article (though the editor says other authors are slow so the official online publication may not be until January).
  • I am waiting to hear from my co-authors on the recently rejected paper to see if we can move forward with revisions based on the feedback before submitting elsewhere.

mamselle

Awesome^.

I got a bit more text typed and some things moved around to better places in Chapter 1 today.

I also got more done on the procedure manual that needs to be 3/4 finished for the 17th.

Still more to do on the transcribed minutes and financial analyses.

Folk dance tonight.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Sun_Worshiper

Struggling to start revisions on R&R. Couldn't even bring myself to read the report today. Tomorrow I'm dedicating the day to this - might even go into my office to force productivity.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 08, 2020, 08:55:45 AM
    Today:

• Finish referee report
    • Start work on a book section

Blah. I forgot I had to make exams today (for tomorrow), so that sucked up a lot of time. I have a bit of a free stretch now before I make dinner, but... nah.

Quote from: darkstarrynight on December 08, 2020, 01:55:42 PM

• The "first half of rejected paper" got a very positive R&R from a different journal yesterday! We have until the end of January to get this done, and the revisions seem pretty minor. This helps inform the second half of the paper that we are working on right now, woohoo!

Excellent! Congrats!

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on December 08, 2020, 06:13:34 PM
    Struggling to start revisions on R&R. Couldn't even bring myself to read the report today.

I'm sorry. But: it's okay! It happens!
    I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Ok, today I have to:

• Start one section of Book
    • Start thinking about January R&R (which will involve a fair bit of work)
    I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

My subfield colleague and I submitted our research request to an organization so we can recruit participants via its listserv. I finished grading everything for the semester except I am waiting on one assignment from one student and then I can submit the grades for that course. The rest of this week and next will involve a flurry of activity on the R&R due in early January, the book chapter, the R&R due in late January, and starting data collection for the new study. Somehow I need to fit in getting my spring classes ready, including a new prep. It will get done (cheers to my optimism)!

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on December 08, 2020, 06:13:34 PM
    Struggling to start revisions on R&R. Couldn't even bring myself to read the report today. Tomorrow I'm dedicating the day to this - might even go into my office to force productivity.

Did the hardest thing today: Got started.