Main Menu

December research

Started by nonsensical, December 01, 2020, 03:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 09, 2020, 08:34:21 AM
Ok, today I have to:

• Start one section of Book
  • Start thinking about January R&R (which will involve a fair bit of work)

Meh. I started, at least, and did about 500 words' worth of work.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Quote from: nonsensical on December 01, 2020, 03:16:26 AM
Give other graduate student feedback on proposed experiment
Referee report
Give potential post-doc feedback on a fellowship proposal

Finished these things over the past few days.

Parasaurolophus

Today, I should work on the same things:

• One section of Book
  • January R&R
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 10, 2020, 08:41:55 AM
Today, I should work on the same things:

• One section of Book
  • January R&R

Not too bad. It's been a busy day full of distractions, so I'm happy with my progress today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

More of the same today, but with a reversed emphasis/task order:

• anuary R&R
  • Finish up first draft of one book section

I've got a long meeting in the afternoon and a fair few morning tasks, however, so it might be a titch tough.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

An article came out today! Yay!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: darkstarrynight on December 11, 2020, 03:52:43 PM

Congratulations!

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 11, 2020, 11:36:39 AM
More of the same today, but with a reversed emphasis/task order:

• January R&R
  • Finish up first draft of one book section

I've got a long meeting in the afternoon and a fair few morning tasks, however, so it might be a titch tough.

The meeting sucked up a ton of time and energy, and the local tasks became much more complicated than anticipated. Oh well. I'll probably do some work this weekend.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Quote from: darkstarrynight on December 11, 2020, 03:52:43 PM

Yay!

I finally finished a draft of the project description for my long-suffering grant. It needs a lot of editing, but there's a draft of all the text that needs to be there, and in my experience revising text that's already there is easier than generating text from scratch.

I also outlined some experiment ideas for a new grant, one that I've had in the back of my mind for a while now but haven't actually done any work on. I think the writing of that grant will go similarly to the one whose project description I just finished, i.e., write when I have time with the goal of figuring out what specific work I want to do in this area and then submit for the deadline that's closest to when I actually finish writing. This new grant is for an agency to which I haven't applied previously, so in addition to figuring out the science I also need to learn how to write for them. So, I expect this grant to take a loooong time to be submission-ready, but I'm excited to have gotten something down on paper about it.

Parasaurolophus

Somewhat ambitiously:

• Finish up draft of a book section
  • Start another book section
  • Work on January R&R
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 14, 2020, 09:52:07 AM
Somewhat ambitiously:

• Finish up draft of a book section
  • Start another book section
  • Work on January R&R
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

I forgot to post yesterday but I worked a little on the book chapter draft and emailed my team to help since our soft deadline is this Friday. My recruitment email went out for the study with my subfield colleague today to an organization's listserv, so we will check responses at the end of the each day and start sending informed consent forms out. Fun! I need to get on my two R&Rs due in January.

Parasaurolophus

Marking essays will break me today, so all I'm gonna try to do is work on January R&R.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 15, 2020, 09:50:32 AM
Marking essays will break me today, so all I'm gonna try to do is work on January R&R.

I did it. Well, I worked on it a little, then got too tired because it's evening already and the marking was pretty joyless and soul-sucking. So I set it aside and read the article I just committed to refereeing.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Errands in the world today, so no big goals. Maybe a little work on my second book section later, if I have the energy.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Finally finished and submitted the R&R, which I think was the last specific thing on my December list (other than "whatever else people send me," which, they are always sending me things so that is kind of a moving target...).