News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

If a student in your class has a PhD

Started by Charlotte, January 10, 2021, 06:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlotte

If a student in one of your classes had a PhD would you expect them to notify you?

I'm taking some graduate classes in a field related to my own. Mr. Charlotte asked me if I notified the professor that I have a PhD. I wasn't going to mention it unless it was directly related to a conversation. On the one hand, I feel that might sound a bit as if I am asking to be treated differently. But Mr. Charlotte feels the professor would prefer to know.

So would you want the student to let you know or would you not care either way?

Does this answer change depending on if it is an online class or an on campus class?

If you would prefer to be notified, at what degree would you not want to be notified? Masters? Bachelors? Associates?

namazu

Quote from: Charlotte on January 10, 2021, 06:58:23 AM
If a student in one of your classes had a PhD would you expect them to notify you?
No.  Unless the class were limited to a particular category of students (e.g. 1st-year masters students -- in which case, you probably aren't meant to be there in the first place), your degree status should be irrelevant. You're there to learn like everyone else. 

Your approach of bringing it up if and only if it's germane to the class (e.g. if your dissertation topic directly relates to a discussion, and you have relevant insights to share) is a reasonable one.

research_prof

Quote from: Charlotte on January 10, 2021, 06:58:23 AM

I'm taking some graduate classes in a field related to my own. Mr. Charlotte asked me if I notified the professor that I have a PhD. I wasn't going to mention it unless it was directly related to a conversation. On the one hand, I feel that might sound a bit as if I am asking to be treated differently. But Mr. Charlotte feels the professor would prefer to know.

So would you want the student to let you know or would you not care either way?

Does this answer change depending on if it is an online class or an on campus class?

If you would prefer to be notified, at what degree would you not want to be notified? Masters? Bachelors? Associates?

Not necessarily. By taking my class, you implicitly acknowledge that you try to learn something from me regarding my field, because I happen to know better than you.

If this hypothesis does not hold, I am not sure why anyone would take a class that they do not believe the instructor knows more than them. There have been cases that my PhD students asked me whether to enroll in a course taught by someone that I have a very low opinion of and I told them right away "Do not do it. It will be a waste of your time".

Hegemony

Nope. Why would that ever matter? I assume anyone in my class is there to learn; having a PhD already is irrelevant. And I've taken classes at my university; I never mentioned that I had a PhD, and when the prof happened to find out I was faculty (and therefore presumably had a PhD), they did not reprove me with, "But you never told me you had a PhD!"

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Charlotte

Thanks for the insights!

I didn't think it would be relevant since students often vary in their level of expertise and as someone mentioned taking a class implies that you need to learn in a particular area. I was surprised that Mr. Charlotte felt it would be necessary and thought maybe I was wrong to assume it wasn't relevant. I wanted to make sure that if it did come up at a later date the professor would not feel that I tried to mislead them. It sounds like not mentioning it unless it is directly relevant is the accepted way to go.

sinenomine

The first college-level courses I taught were offered through a continuing ed program, so my students ranged from teenagers to retirees, including some with advanced degrees. They all came to the classrooms as a cohort of learners, with no overt focus on their backgrounds. I loved the rich discussions that arose with those groups.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Caracal

Quote from: Charlotte on January 10, 2021, 08:00:21 AM
Thanks for the insights!

I didn't think it would be relevant since students often vary in their level of expertise and as someone mentioned taking a class implies that you need to learn in a particular area. I was surprised that Mr. Charlotte felt it would be necessary and thought maybe I was wrong to assume it wasn't relevant. I wanted to make sure that if it did come up at a later date the professor would not feel that I tried to mislead them. It sounds like not mentioning it unless it is directly relevant is the accepted way to go.

You're under no obligation to divulge anything, but I think that's the wrong way to think of it. You're a college professor taking a class with someone who is also a college professor. It would seem awkward, just from a professional and social perspective, to not introduce yourself. You wouldn't be saying, "just wanted to let you know that I have a PHD," you would just stop by office hours and introduce yourself.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Caracal on January 10, 2021, 09:45:10 AM
Thanks for the insights!

You're under no obligation to divulge anything, but I think that's the wrong way to think of it. You're a college professor taking a class with someone who is also a college professor. It would seem awkward, just from a professional and social perspective, to not introduce yourself.

I don't think I ever made a point of introducing myself to profs I hadn't had before in grad school. It may be field-specific, but it'd definitely not universal.

It takes so little to be above average.

jerseyjay

I think it depends.

I do not think that somebody who is taking a class needs to go over one's entire CV.

That being said, I can think of some times when it would be useful to give some information about yourself.

If you are taking a class at the university where you teach, I think it would be courtesy to let the professor know. I have taken several classes at universities I have taught (mainly language or literature courses) and I have always let the professor know in advance. Usually for selfish reasons, because I wanted to get a copy of a recent syllabus to decide if the class was worth it. I have never really gone into my education. For online classes, when you are supposed to say something about yourself, I usually mention that I got my PhD at such and such university, as part of a general description of my background. Often when I have taken courses at schools I was teaching in, there has been one or two former students in the class, and it would be weird not to say that I was a professor. I always stress that I am just a student in the class (e.g., I tell students to call me by my first name, not Dr. JerseyJay.)

If you are taking a class in the same subject that you got your doctorate in, or a cognate discipline, you might want to mention that you have your PhD. That being said, I don't particularly want to take classes in my subject, because, why? (Although I am thinking of taking some online graduate classes in Latin American history at a Latin American university as part of expanding my teaching repertoire ; I would probably mention that I have a PhD in history, albeit in another area of history.) I don't think I would take classes within my own department with my colleagues because that would seem awkward (although of course they would probably know I have a PhD). 

If you are taking classes at a school you do not teach at in a subject that you do not teach or research, then I don't see why you need to mention it. (Although you might well do so, in passing, as part of a general introduction.) My having a PhD in history is not relevant to my taking (say) chemistry courses at the local community college. If I were substantially older than the average student, I might say that I am a professor somewhere, just because it would help explain the age difference.

Of course, the flipside of this is that you shouldn't act like your PhD gives you the right to act like a knowitall. One of the side benefits of having taken classes is that I see how other professors teach, and have at times incorporated their techniques into my own teaching. If I really thought that somebody was incompetent (either as a professor or as an expert in the field), I would probably drop the class.

Caracal

Quote from: marshwiggle on January 10, 2021, 10:06:58 AM
Quote from: Caracal on January 10, 2021, 09:45:10 AM
Thanks for the insights!

You're under no obligation to divulge anything, but I think that's the wrong way to think of it. You're a college professor taking a class with someone who is also a college professor. It would seem awkward, just from a professional and social perspective, to not introduce yourself.

I don't think I ever made a point of introducing myself to profs I hadn't had before in grad school. It may be field-specific, but it'd definitely not universal.

My grad program was small, and as a result there was really no way you could take a class and not have already had a conversation with the professor. Obviously, that wasn't normal in undergrad. I have some students come introduce themselves to me, particularly older ones, but its not something I expect. If you're talking about a really large course without much discussion, I don't think it matters. However, if this is a smallish class, it just seems like it would be a little strange to not have a quick friendly conversation with the professor.

AmLitHist

Quote from: jerseyjay on January 10, 2021, 10:25:03 AM

Of course, the flipside of this is that you shouldn't act like your PhD gives you the right to act like a knowitall. One of the side benefits of having taken classes is that I see how other professors teach, and have at times incorporated their techniques into my own teaching. If I really thought that somebody was incompetent (either as a professor or as an expert in the field), I would probably drop the class.

I had an adjunct from our school take my Comp I class (at my CC*) last fall.  She came in with tons of attitude; I had no idea she was faculty and just thought she was one of those know-it-all students.  She laid into me after failing her first paper (a word-salad submission), and I made clear that her degree doesn't mean she can write.  She tamed down and got busy with the Writing Center on basic grammar and such, and there was some improvement--though she did barely pull the lowest C for the term.

*She teaches math and is going for some kind of computer/tech-related credential, and they wouldn't let her waive the gen eds, I presume because they're too old.  Good thing.

AvidReader

Quote from: AmLitHist on January 10, 2021, 11:57:52 AM
I had an adjunct from our school take my Comp I class (at my CC*) last fall.  She came in with tons of attitude; I had no idea she was faculty and just thought she was one of those know-it-all students.  She laid into me after failing her first paper (a word-salad submission), and I made clear that her degree doesn't mean she can write.  She tamed down and got busy with the Writing Center on basic grammar and such, and there was some improvement--though she did barely pull the lowest C for the term.

I have frequently toyed with the idea of going "back" to school for a technical certificate in a skill area that really interests me and would benefit my own home improvement interests. At my last CC, that certificate required Comp I (which I then taught). I could not fathom how to take Comp from a colleague without having it be immensely awkward, though I thought it would be fun to see how other colleagues had structured their courses.

AR.

KiUlv

I teach graduate students (master level) and I sometimes get students in class who already have a master degree in this general field and some who teach college undergrads in some related field. I also get students who are retaking the same class because they've failed it in the past. Within the nature of my field, classes tend to be 35 or fewer students so I do get to know students and I ask for some initial information related to experience. If I have a class full of students who have higher degrees in this field, I may adjust what I'm doing a bit. It's nice to know the background of my students, but not entirely necessary.

If you're in a class that is pretty small and you have many interactions with one another, I'm guessing it would come up anyway. If it's a huge lecture-style class then I don't see a need to share that information.

ciao_yall

I wouldn't really care, one way or the other. They are there to learn. It has happened before, because I teach business at a CC so people come in for all kinds of reasons.

The only reason I might want to know is if they are there for a specific reason, or if there is something they might like to do a little differently for their own focus or intention. Still, I would have that conversation with any student, PhD or otherwise.

In my advertising class I once had a local veterinarian. For his group project he did his business, and he ended up pairing up with a very bright 17-year-old high school co-enrolled student. They worked well together and I hope he was a good mentor to her in other ways, like getting into college.