News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

February Research

Started by darkstarrynight, February 01, 2021, 10:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 03, 2021, 10:51:54 AM
I'll try to finish knocking out a draft of the blog post today.

Mostly there. I've got a serviceable 900 words, anyway, and the remaining 300-500 are just a matter of plugging in shorter versions of stuff I have elsewhere, descriptions of source material, etc.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Had a productive writing meeting tonight with my co-authors. We are WAY over the word count for the journal, so we spent a lot of time cutting down and rephrasing sentences. Our main goal is get it down to the maximum word limit so we can submit!

Parasaurolophus

I suppose I'll tinker with the blog post today. Best get that out of the way while it's still fresh.

Then I need to start reading for a new collaboration.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Looked through a draft of an R&R today (a different paper than the one I was writing about yesterday on here). It is in great shape; I made a few minor comments, but it is basically ready to submit.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: nonsensical on February 04, 2021, 08:36:48 AM
Looked through a draft of an R&R today (a different paper than the one I was writing about yesterday on here). It is in great shape; I made a few minor comments, but it is basically ready to submit.

That is great news!

Sun_Worshiper

Desk rejection on a paper I got under review at the end of January... oh well, at least it was quick. Dealing with this paper will now be one of my February tasks.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 04, 2021, 08:11:22 AM
I suppose I'll tinker with the blog post today. Best get that out of the way while it's still fresh.

Then I need to start reading for a new collaboration.

Done!
I know it's a genus.

Faith786

Quote from: Faith786 on February 03, 2021, 08:45:20 AM
Quote from: Faith786 on February 03, 2021, 06:11:53 AM

February goals:
-List 5 to 10 research questions for 2021 project and email it to colleagues
-Read, revise and email myself manuscript #3 and get it down to <20-25 pages (article #1 was published in January)
-Write a page for item #5 book chapter due before Fall 2021
-Read/review/summarize 4 relevant papers to add to research library for 2021 project
-Read book recommended for 2021 project essay #1
-Summarize book for 2021 project essay #1
-Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics
-Update CV to reflect ResearchGate score
-Update CV to reflect Publons review metrics
-Update CV to reflect submitted/under review manuscript(s)
-Email departmental director my bio, picture, and keywords to get an unpaid departmental affiliation and sign contract to supervise/mentor graduate student
-peer-review two new manuscripts relevant to research field(s)
-send item #6 (book chapter #2) abstract to book editors

Short-term/ongoing goals:
-Try to stay alive, keep calm, and carry on during the second/third wave of COVID-19 so that research can continue
-submit abstract #3 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-submit abstract #4 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-In total, submit ~6 manuscripts/articles/chapter(s) in 2021 (hopefully 5 get accepted/published)
-continue to attend interviews for tenure-track jobs so that independent PI research can be started
-Continue drafting article #4 with reading/review of up-to-date literature
-Continue drafting item #5 (book chapter 1) due before Fall 2021
-apply for research funding
-Revise and resubmit request for article #2 in Feb
-Wait and watch for revise and resubmit request for article #3 in Feb (submitted in 2021)
-apply for a tenure-track job
-get an interview for a tenure-track job (shortlisted Feb 2021)
-read article and write 1000 words for 2021 project

Long-term goals:
-secure a tenure track job and start independent PI research
I need this grant approved...

Faith786

Quote from: Faith786 on February 04, 2021, 06:34:02 PM
February goals:
-List 5 to 10 research questions for 2021 project and email it to colleagues
-Revise and resubmit article #2
-Read, revise and email myself manuscript #3 and get it down to <20-25 pages (article #1 was published in January)
-Write a page for item #5 (book chapter#1) due before Fall 2021
-Read/review/summarize 4 relevant papers to add to research library for 2021 project
-Read book recommended for 2021 project essay #1
-Summarize book for 2021 project essay #1
-Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics
-Update CV to reflect ResearchGate score
-Update CV to reflect Publons review metrics
-Update CV to reflect submitted/under review manuscript(s)
-Email department bio, picture for primary affiliation
-Email departmental director bio, picture, and keywords to get an unpaid departmental affiliation#2
-peer-review two new manuscripts relevant to research field(s)
-send item #6 (book chapter #2) abstract to book editors

Short-term/ongoing goals:
-Try to stay alive, keep calm, and carry on during the second/third wave of COVID-19 so that research can continue
-submit abstract #3 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-submit abstract #4 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-In total, submit ~6 manuscripts/articles/chapter(s) in 2021 (hopefully 5 get accepted/published)
-continue to attend interviews for tenure-track jobs so that independent PI research can be started
-Continue drafting article #4 with reading/review of up-to-date literature
-Continue drafting item #5 (book chapter #1) due before Fall 2021
-apply for research funding
-Wait and watch for revise and resubmit request for article #3 in Feb (submitted in 2021)
-apply for a tenure-track job
-get an interview for a tenure-track job (shortlisted Feb 2021)
-read article and write 1000 words for 2021 project

Long-term goals:
-secure a tenure track job and start independent PI research

I need this grant approved...

Parasaurolophus

I suppose today I'll turn to a new book section. I should either start drafting one, or do the reading required to start drafting one.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 05, 2021, 09:29:32 AM
I suppose today I'll turn to a new book section. I should either start drafting one, or do the reading required to start drafting one.

Done for the day.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I'll do some conference organizing when I get back today. I know it's the weekend, but I gotta.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 04, 2021, 03:07:05 PM
Desk rejection on a paper I got under review at the end of January... oh well, at least it was quick. Dealing with this paper will now be one of my February tasks.

Sorry to hear this, but good on you for working on it a bit more right away to send it out again.

I sent a student some feedback on a new experiment today and edited most of a chapter. Will try to finish the rest of the chapter next week but am feeling pretty done for now.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: nonsensical on February 06, 2021, 02:15:36 PM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 04, 2021, 03:07:05 PM

Sorry to hear this, but good on you for working on it a bit more right away to send it out again.

I sent a student some feedback on a new experiment today and edited most of a chapter. Will try to finish the rest of the chapter next week but am feeling pretty done for now.

Thanks! I think we can get it back out this week or next.

In better news, I received a conditional acceptance from a very good journal this morning, so that put me in good spirits today.

mamselle

More reading, writing, and thinking done on Chapt. 1

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.