Main Menu

February Research

Started by darkstarrynight, February 01, 2021, 10:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkstarrynight

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 06, 2021, 04:16:26 PM
Quote from: nonsensical on February 06, 2021, 02:15:36 PM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 04, 2021, 03:07:05 PM
Desk rejection on a paper I got under review at the end of January... oh well, at least it was quick. Dealing with this paper will now be one of my February tasks.

Sorry to hear this, but good on you for working on it a bit more right away to send it out again.

I sent a student some feedback on a new experiment today and edited most of a chapter. Will try to finish the rest of the chapter next week but am feeling pretty done for now.

Thanks! I think we can get it back out this week or next.

In better news, I received a conditional acceptance from a very good journal this morning, so that put me in good spirits today.

What a fantastic thing to find out on a weekend morning! I hope I get some good news soon since I have two revised manuscripts under review and a manuscript under review in its fourth journal. Also, my team has to chop about 700 words off of manuscript that is nearly done. I do a little each day but it is a bit daunting!

darkstarrynight

A few minutes after I posted, I checked my work email and got another R&R on one of the revised manuscripts I mentioned! The reviewers both were very positive about the changes, and the revisions this time around seem minimal. I feel optimistic!

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: darkstarrynight on February 06, 2021, 06:41:26 PM
A few minutes after I posted, I checked my work email and got another R&R on one of the revised manuscripts I mentioned! The reviewers both were very positive about the changes, and the revisions this time around seem minimal. I feel optimistic!

Congrats!

darkstarrynight

Thanks!

On the manuscript that is almost ready for submission, we are still 600 words over. I figure we should just submit it and see what happens at this point, since we were able to cut about 1,000 words already up to this point. I will see what my co-authors think tomorrow.

Parasaurolophus

I suppose that today I should go back to fixing my blog post. But I also have conference-related tasks to accomplish.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Quote from: darkstarrynight on February 06, 2021, 06:41:26 PM

Woohoo!

Made a bit more progress on my chapter today.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 08, 2021, 10:18:37 AM
I suppose that today I should go back to fixing my blog post. But I also have conference-related tasks to accomplish.

Nearly done with that post. One more day will do it.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Now that the dread 44 pages of raw transcribed minutes are boiled down to 20, I only have two more tasks before I can put three extra days a week on my own real writing work. (At least they're paying me).

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Faith786

Quote from: Faith786 on February 04, 2021, 06:34:02 PM
February goals:
-add a few sentences to Google Doc for team assignment
-finish reading article that was cited 500 times for 2021 project
-write 1000 words for 2021 project
-send email with word document list re 2021 project
-List 5 to 10 research questions for 2021 project and email it to colleagues
-Revise and resubmit article #2
-Read, revise and email myself manuscript #3 and get it down to <20-25 pages (article #1 was published in January)
-Write a page for item #5 (book chapter#1) due before Fall 2021
-Read/review/summarize 4 relevant papers to add to research library for 2021 project
-Read book recommended for 2021 project essay #1
-Summarize book for 2021 project essay #1
-Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics
-Update CV to reflect ResearchGate score
-Update CV to reflect Publons review metrics
-Update CV to reflect submitted/under review manuscript(s)
-Email department bio, picture for primary affiliation
-Email departmental director bio, picture, and keywords to get an unpaid departmental affiliation#2
-peer-review two new manuscripts relevant to research field(s)
-send item #6 (book chapter #2) abstract to book editors

Short-term/ongoing goals:
-Try to stay alive, keep calm, and carry on during the second/third wave of COVID-19 so that research can continue
-submit abstract #3 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-submit abstract #4 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-In total, submit ~6 manuscripts/articles/chapter(s) in 2021 (hopefully 5 get accepted/published)
-continue to attend interviews for tenure-track jobs so that independent PI research can be started
-Continue drafting article #4 with reading/review of up-to-date literature
-Continue drafting item #5 (book chapter #1) due before Fall 2021
-apply for research funding
-Wait and watch for revise and resubmit request for article #3 in Feb (submitted in 2021)
-apply for a tenure-track job
-get an interview for a tenure-track job (shortlisted Feb 2021)

Long-term goals:
-secure a tenure track job and start independent PI research

I need this grant approved...

darkstarrynight

Faith, that is great news! Sending good vibes your way for a positive experience!

Parasaurolophus

Today, I'll finish the blog post. And maybe work on a book section, too.
I know it's a genus.

Faith786

Quote from: darkstarrynight on February 09, 2021, 08:25:52 AM
Faith, that is great news! Sending good vibes your way for a positive experience!

Thank you, darkstarrynight !! :-)

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on February 07, 2021, 04:31:03 PM

Goals for this month:

• Finish draft of paper #1
  • Make progress on draft of paper #2
  • Continue collecting data for project corresponding to paper #1
  • Collecting more data for paper #2, to clean up some holes in the dataset
  • Keep shopping around op ed based on my research, and hopefully find a home for it
  • Send desk rejected article back out to a new journal
  • Get conditionally accepted article back to journal in hopes of unconditional acceptance

Stretch goals:
  • Get ball rolling on at least one new project (a few ideas, but they are just ideas at this point)

(Very) rough draft of paper #1 is complete. I'm going to sit on it for a week and then do a merciless edit, then have my co-author take a crack at it.  Maybe we can have it under review by early March, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Additionally, holes are plugged in dataset corresponding to paper #2. It would be good to add more observations/groups to the dataset, but now it is good enough to run a few regressions - something I'll get around to doing next week.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 09, 2021, 11:36:15 AM
Today, I'll finish the blog post. And maybe work on a book section, too.

Done! I'll have another look at the post in a day or two, for final touch-ups, but... done!
I know it's a genus.

Faith786

Quote from: Faith786 on February 09, 2021, 06:47:28 AM
February goals:
-add a few sentences to Google Doc for team assignment
-finish reading article that was cited 500 times for 2021 project
-write 1000 words for 2021 project
-send email with word document list re 2021 project
-List 5 to 10 research questions for 2021 project and email it to colleagues
-Revise and resubmit article #2
-Read, revise and email myself manuscript #3 and get it down to <20-25 pages (article #1 was published in January)
-Write a page for item #5 (book chapter#1) due before Fall 2021
-Read/review/summarize 4 relevant papers to add to research library for 2021 project
-Read book recommended for 2021 project essay #1
-Summarize book for 2021 project essay #1
-Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics
-Update CV to reflect ResearchGate score
-Update CV to reflect Publons review metrics
-Update CV to reflect submitted/under review manuscript(s)
-Email department bio, picture for primary affiliation
-Email departmental director bio, picture, and keywords to get an unpaid departmental affiliation#2
-peer-review two new manuscripts relevant to research field(s)
-send item #6 (book chapter #2) abstract to book editors

Short-term/ongoing goals:
-Try to stay alive, keep calm, and carry on during the second/third wave of COVID-19 so that research can continue
-submit abstract #3 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-submit abstract #4 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-In total, submit ~6 manuscripts/articles/chapter(s) in 2021 (hopefully 5 get accepted/published)
-continue to attend interviews for tenure-track jobs so that independent PI research can be started
-Continue drafting article #4 with reading/review of up-to-date literature
-Continue drafting item #5 (book chapter #1) due before Fall 2021
-apply for research funding
-Wait and watch for revise and resubmit request for article #3 in Feb (submitted in 2021)
-apply for a tenure-track job
-get an interview for a tenure-track job (shortlisted Feb 2021)
-get an interview for a tenure-track job (shortlisted AGAIN for a different university in a different state, Feb 2021)

Long-term goals:
-secure a tenure track job and start independent PI research