News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

February Research

Started by darkstarrynight, February 01, 2021, 10:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Busy day in town today, so I probably won't accomplish anything. But if I get the chance, I'll work on a book section. Maybe even start a fresh one, so that I have something to work with.

They seem to take me 2-3 days each. I only work on them for 1-1.5 hours at a time, but the distribution over a couple days really helps a lot. I don't think I'd get as far working on one for three hours straight.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on February 01, 2021, 10:11:22 AM
We already completed a month of 2021. Post your February research goals here!

Goals

• Finalize and submit "second half of rejected manuscript" to target journal with co-authors
  • Finish transcription of interviews for project with subfield colleague
  • Begin writing and analysis with college friend - we already received data through our request from a major organization!
  • Return to recently rejected manuscript to make revisions from feedback and submit elsewhere - my co-authors and I finally have a plan in place and a new target journal.

For the first goal, I spent most of the past few days cutting down the word count so we can submit. It will get desk rejected if it is one word above the max, so I had to cut over 1,000 words! Apparently I am masterful at such a task. That means our research team might have its last evening meeting (until we get a R&R to work on down the road maybe) tonight, so we will submit it tonight together, yahoo!

For the second goal, I did all of the rough transcriptions and now my subfield colleague's already compensated research assistant is cleaning them up. Hu's institution must have resources! I drafted the conference proposal for this yesterday (and it is already double the required word count, hence you can see I have a problem). It is due next week so I hope we can get it ready!

Goal 3 seems a bit stalled right now but that is because the colleague leading this study works for a certain governmental organization involved with a pandemic going on so...I will just leave hu be for now.

Goal 4 has placed the manuscript in the second author's hands for now, so I am waiting to hear from hu.

darkstarrynight

Submitted the manuscript last night, yeehaw! I worked on the second R&R today.

Parasaurolophus

Done with the blog post, did some work on a book section.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Quote from: nonsensical on February 08, 2021, 04:31:15 PM
Made a bit more progress on my chapter today.

And some more progress today.

Faith786

Quote from: Faith786 on February 10, 2021, 06:32:59 AM
February goals:
-add a few sentences to Google Doc for team assignment
-finish reading article that was cited 500 times for 2021 project
-write some questions or research interests for analytical direction of 2021 project for team meeting
-write 1000 words for 2021 project
-read article for 2021 project
-write reflection of article for 2021 project
-send email with word document list re 2021 project
-List 5 to 10 research questions for 2021 project and email it to colleagues
-Revise and resubmit article #2
-Read, revise and email myself manuscript #3 and get it down to <20-25 pages (article #1 was published in January)
-Write a page for item #5 (book chapter#1) due before Fall 2021
-Read/review/summarize 4 relevant papers to add to research library for 2021 project
-Read book recommended for 2021 project essay #1
-Summarize book for 2021 project essay #1
-Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics
-Update CV to reflect ResearchGate score
-Update CV to reflect Publons review metrics
-Update CV to reflect submitted/under review manuscript(s)
-Update CV to reflect federal agency's journal review
-Email department bio, picture for primary affiliation
-Email departmental director bio, picture, and keywords to get an unpaid departmental affiliation#2
-peer-review two new manuscripts relevant to research field(s)
-peer-review manuscript for federal agency
-send item #6 (book chapter #2) abstract to book editors

Short-term/ongoing goals:
-Try to stay alive, keep calm, and carry on during the second/third wave of COVID-19 so that research can continue
-submit abstract #3 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-submit abstract #4 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-In total, submit ~6 manuscripts/articles/chapter(s) in 2021 (hopefully 5 get accepted/published)
-continue to attend interviews for tenure-track jobs so that independent PI research can be started
-Continue drafting article #4 with reading/review of up-to-date literature
-Continue drafting item #5 (book chapter #1) due before Fall 2021
-apply for research funding
-Wait and watch for revise and resubmit request for article #3 in Feb (submitted in 2021)
-apply for a tenure-track job
-get an interview for a tenure-track job (shortlisted Feb 2021)
-get an interview for a tenure-track job (shortlisted AGAIN for a different university in a different state, Feb 2021)

Long-term goals:
-secure a tenure track job and start independent PI research
I need this grant approved...

Parasaurolophus

Busy day today, but I'll make some time to prepare for an interview on some of my recent work tomorrow.
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Faith786

Quote from: Faith786 on February 12, 2021, 05:55:21 AM
February goals:
-add a few sentences to Google Doc for team assignment
-finish reading article that was cited 500 times for 2021 project
-write some questions or research interests for analytical direction of 2021 project for team meeting
-write 1000 words for 2021 project
-read article for 2021 project
-write reflection of article for 2021 project
-send email with word document list re 2021 project
-List 5 to 10 research questions for 2021 project and email it to colleagues
-Revise and resubmit article #2 (For the love of God, please editors/reviewers, accept these revisions)
-Read, revise and email myself manuscript #3 and get it down to <20-25 pages (article #1 was published in January)
-Write a page for item #5 (book chapter#1) due before Fall 2021
-Read/review/summarize 4 relevant papers to add to research library for 2021 project
-Read book recommended for 2021 project essay #1
-Summarize book for 2021 project essay #1
-Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics
-Update CV to reflect ResearchGate score
-Update CV to reflect Publons review metrics
-Update CV to reflect submitted/under review manuscript(s)
-Update CV to reflect federal agency's journal review
-Email department bio, picture for primary affiliation
-Email departmental director bio, picture, and keywords to get an unpaid departmental affiliation#2
-peer-review two new manuscripts relevant to research field(s)
-peer-review manuscript for federal agency
-send item #6 (book chapter #2) abstract to book editors

Short-term/ongoing goals:
-Try to stay alive, keep calm, and carry on during the second/third wave of COVID-19 so that research can continue
-submit abstract #3 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-submit abstract #4 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-In total, submit ~6 manuscripts/articles/chapter(s) in 2021 (hopefully 5 get accepted/published)
-continue to attend interviews for tenure-track jobs so that independent PI research can be started
-Continue drafting article #4 with reading/review of up-to-date literature
-Continue drafting item #5 (book chapter #1) due before Fall 2021
-apply for research funding
-Wait and watch for revise and resubmit request for article #3 in Feb (submitted in 2021)
-apply for a tenure-track job
-get an interview for a tenure-track job (shortlisted Feb 2021)
-get an interview for a tenure-track job (shortlisted AGAIN for a different university in a different state, Feb 2021)

Long-term goals:
-secure a tenure track job and start independent PI research
I need this grant approved...

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 12, 2021, 10:50:28 AM
Busy day today, but I'll make some time to prepare for an interview on some of my recent work tomorrow.

I did it, but now I don't believe that I actually wrote the things I supposedly wrote. Who is this guy who knew things a few months ago?
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Today, I sent a different group of co-authors feedback on a different chapter. It's almost ready to submit and I am feeling good about that.

Parasaurolophus

I really don't feel up to doing anything today, but I kinda have to play catch-up, so...

• Finalize referees for divisional conference.
  • Continue trying to organize a panel for annual conference.
  • If I have the energy, try my hand at a book section.
  • If I have the energy, start prepping for a how-to-write-a-paper video.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 15, 2021, 10:37:11 AM
I really don't feel up to doing anything today, but I kinda have to play catch-up, so...

• Finalize referees for divisional conference.
  • Continue trying to organize a panel for annual conference.
  • If I have the energy, try my hand at a book section.
  • If I have the energy, start prepping for a how-to-write-a-paper video.

Blah. I also put out a bunch of teaching fires, caught up on email, and commented on a friend's paper. So not a waste of a day, but not as productive as I could have hoped. Oh well, there's always tomorrow. And reading week (next week).
I know it's a genus.

nonsensical

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 15, 2021, 05:50:05 PM
Blah. I also put out a bunch of teaching fires, caught up on email, and commented on a friend's paper. So not a waste of a day, but not as productive as I could have hoped. Oh well, there's always tomorrow. And reading week (next week).

That is still a good amount of stuff to get done for one day! My inbox is a mess and I am struggling to get through all of the to-do items it is giving me, but I did send off some feedback on a proposed experiment today.

darkstarrynight

Sorry I have been incognito! Yesterday, my spouse and I decided to brave the coldest day with snow falling to drive my car farther than it has been in ages, to a bigger city an hour away for an oil change and recall inspection appointment. My spouse was off yesterday, though my institution stayed open even for in-person instruction, while the local school district closed for extreme cold. Today the institution closed due to power outages. We made it to and from safely, and my car is in good shape. I graded while sitting at the dealership, and then graded more last night when I got home.

Today, I worked more on my second revision of the manuscript that has four other authors. None of them have done anything since we exchanged a few emails about what needs to get done, but since all of us are located in extremely cold places with power outages (which is most of the country anyway), I am not going to bother anyone. I am actually almost done with the revisions (there were only four to address), but we have time so I can get their input.

Tomorrow, I am meeting with my subfield colleague to finalize our conference proposal which is due Thursday. The conference is scheduled to be in-person, which is uncertain of course, but in the city where my subfield colleague is located, so it seemed worth submitting to since I have to be at the conference anyway for my journal editor role. We are 19 words over and still have to add a few things, so we will be adding and cutting, which seems like my MO lately.

On Friday, I am part of a small team launching writing groups for a practitioner organization! I am so excited about this, as I have been encouraging a culture of research and data-driven practice since I chaired the organization's research committee many years ago. I look forward to this first meeting!