Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Procrastinating until very last moments to take online exams

Started by Aster, February 05, 2021, 12:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

Quote from: bacardiandlime on February 11, 2021, 01:40:11 AM
Quote from: clean on February 11, 2021, 01:30:33 AM
Who has set these students up with the expectation that faculty are 'ignoring' them if we fail to answer emails sent at 2am before 5am?

I don't reply at weekends. At all. And I've noticed that a huge proportion of "urgent" crises at 2am on Saturday have actually solved themselves by Monday (students have found the required info elsewhere).
Anything that's a real problem will still be a problem when I get back to work.

Texting and immediate responses are probably contributing to this expectation.  I tell students that I am not "on call 24/7".  I answer emails that I get 8-4 M-F within a day and do not answer emails on weekends.  But I also make sure that I don't have anything due outside of those hours. 

clean

QuoteClean:

Did the student or the Dean ever get back to you? I'm curious to know. :)

Im sorry to say that the student did not complain to the dean.  I debated at the time to call the asshole's bluff and CC the dean on my reply! 
SO I didnt get ANY credit for replying within 24 hours ON a weekend from the dean!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Aster

I only have two emergency online courses still operating, as our college starts pulling out of covid. But I'm starting to get the impression that my remaining online courses contain higher ratios of poorly engaged students.

This week's assignments are all due in a few hours, and yet nearly 50% of the students in both courses have yet to submit any of them. In previous weeks this term, many students have failed to turn in anything at all. The classes have been sent multiple emails, postings to the LMS to get their work done. I've also been stressing the deadlines in our weekly ZOOM check-ins. All that extra effort I'm putting out doesn't seem to be moving the needle much. Stuff is not being turned in, or it's being turned in at the last minute. Preliminary grade distributions are looking weaker than normal.

Also, I'm hardly getting any student emails asking for extensions or makeups. The number of requests is way down compared to last year. Is anyone else seeing patterns like this?

clean

I think that this is 'normal'.
In Blackboard you can go to the grade center and for those assignments that are not completed, you can 'send a reminder' and it will email only to those that have not yet submitted a reminder.  It may not prompt much action, but it certainly provides plenty to show the chair if/when students complain about the class or claim that they did not know.

Aster

30 minutes until the submission deadline.

Class #1: Introductory Basket Weaving.

20% of the class hasn't even activated the assessment.

17% of the class is currently taking the assessment right now.

Class #2: Advanced Basket Weaving.

10% of the class hasn't even activated the assessment.

14% of the class is currently taking the assessment.

Update: Deadline has now passed.

Class #1: Introductory Basket Weaving.

20% of the class did not submit the work. What the eff man...

Class #2: Advanced Basket Weaving.

4% of the class did not submit the work.  Better late than never!

clean

"Never do today what you can put off til tomorrow"

"You can always retake a class, you can not retake a party!"

The 10% last minute non starters may simply have not yet dropped.

We just had census day and I used that as a prompt to email the class members that had not yet started working the textbook assignments (some long past due) given that they have now missed several assignments!  Those that have replied have indicated that they are just behind and will catch up this weekend.  As drop day is still a few weeks off, they will either catch up, or they wont! 

Is a 10% attrition rate (or combined with failure rate) out of ordinary, or is that simply your current view of 'how the sausage is made'?

Aster

Quote from: clean on February 11, 2022, 01:11:43 PM
Is a 10% attrition rate (or combined with failure rate) out of ordinary, or is that simply your current view of 'how the sausage is made'?

For the Intro courses, a 20-30% fail rate is typical. But only about half of those D/F students flunk out for not turning in work. The rest of them earn those D's and F's legitimately. I'm running slightly higher numbers of non-completers than is normal.

For the Advanced courses, a 10-20% fail rate is typical, with maybe a quarter of those failing out because they don't turn in work. So, 25% of 20% is like... 4%. Well bless my heart, that's exactly what I ended up with today.

Math is fun.

clean

Aster

It is now one hour later.

Stu Dent: "Professor, I got home late from work today, and missed turning in all of this week's work. Can I get an extension?"

GRRRR. This week's work has been posted online for anyone to take... *all freaking week* !!

Langue_doc

Caracal

Quote from: Langue_doc on February 11, 2022, 02:51:47 PM
Just say "no, please refer to the course policies".

I mean...for me it depends on how much the exact deadline mattered. If students need to comment on each other's submissions, or there's a discussion that takes place today or something, then it makes sense to only allow extensions in special circumstances. When it isn't going to actually mess anything up to allow a student to turn something in later that night or the next day, I never really see what the point of refusing to allow them to turn it in late is. People sometimes manage their time poorly or forget about things. I don't need to mete out punishment out of principle.

artalot

If it's not time sensitive I usually allow a one-time extension. I tell them this is their one screw up for the semester, and most of them get the message.

Aster

Quote from: artalot on February 14, 2022, 09:49:05 AM
If it's not time sensitive I usually allow a one-time extension. I tell them this is their one screw up for the semester, and most of them get the message.

Yeah, I also do this a lot. And since virtually all student requests of this type come to me via email, I can easily verify if it's a first-time offense or not.

the_geneticist

I have put in a 10% penalty per day for late assignments.  Of course you can turn it in late!  But better not be too late or it will eventually turn into a 0.

What shocks me is how quickly students take exams for both online and in person exams.  I gave an hour and most everyone finished in 15-20 minutes.  Problem is, they did rather poorly from not taking time to think about the questions.  I think they just skimmed for key words, made a guess and called it good enough.  Slow down!

FishProf

I had a student who raised holy hell that I wouldn't honor his accommodations for quizzes he took before he gave me the letter and who, ultimately, NEVER used the extra time he was granted for the remainder of the semester.   He got 1.5x for time, but never used any of the extra time.  I guess that made sense inasmuch as he could fail the quizzes in 5-6 minutes with high consistency.  Why waste the extra time?

He tried to finagle a Pass b/c he didn't get his accommodations from the get-go.  That appeal foundered on the rocks when it was shown his grades before and after accommodations were either the same, or worse when he had the accommodations.

ADA or not, you still have to learn the material.

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.