News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

U of Oregon Student Government

Started by jimbogumbo, February 22, 2021, 07:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Good on them!

QuoteAbout 10 percent of the student government budget, or $1.7 million, was going to the athletics department each year in exchange for "free" student tickets to athletic events, according to members of the Student Senate's Athletics and Contracts Finance Committee.

The discovery immediately raised red flags. The university had canceled athletic events during the spring term because of the pandemic, and students were not attending any sporting events on campus. The Ducks' upcoming fall football season was also in question.

What's more, committee members said, the tickets aren't free, and they're not guaranteed.

[...]

The fee gives students access to a lottery for a game ticket, not an actual ticket.

It clearly seems like a poor use of the money.

But also, how is the student government's budget $17mil?! Did I misunderstand something?
I know it's a genus.

eigen

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 22, 2021, 08:20:19 AM
Good on them!

QuoteAbout 10 percent of the student government budget, or $1.7 million, was going to the athletics department each year in exchange for "free" student tickets to athletic events, according to members of the Student Senate's Athletics and Contracts Finance Committee.

The discovery immediately raised red flags. The university had canceled athletic events during the spring term because of the pandemic, and students were not attending any sporting events on campus. The Ducks' upcoming fall football season was also in question.

What's more, committee members said, the tickets aren't free, and they're not guaranteed.

[...]

The fee gives students access to a lottery for a game ticket, not an actual ticket.

It clearly seems like a poor use of the money.

But also, how is the student government's budget $17mil?! Did I misunderstand something?

For a major university, that doesn't seem so far off. The budget for the small private R1 when I was in grad school was around 1.7 million, and it was a lot smaller than U of O.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

mythbuster

Student government often includes a large cultural component. Brining in speakers, performers etc. It also often funds many other student based clubs etc. Hence the large budget.

The aspect of this that I find interesting is the role that these tickets play in building the University identity, and the downstream effects on recruitment, alumni relations and the all important alumni donations.  Oregon is much better known for their football team than any of their academic programs. Many students (including those from out of state- such as California), will choose UO because of that sports fan atmosphere.

jimbogumbo

Oregon Athletics (unlike many) shouldn't ever need this money. They have massive Nike support.

Hibush

Quote from: jimbogumbo on February 22, 2021, 12:46:17 PM
Oregon Athletics (unlike many) shouldn't ever need this money. They have massive Nike support.

Agreed. Nevertheless, their athletic department alone ran a $63 million dollar deficit last year. Maybe they need to be spun off into an independent non-profit.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Hibush on February 22, 2021, 01:13:10 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on February 22, 2021, 12:46:17 PM

Agreed. Nevertheless, their athletic department alone ran a $63 million dollar deficit last year. Maybe they need to be spun off into an independent non-profit.

The Power 5  conference D1s (until COVID) spent like crazy even on non-revenue programs. I happened on (started looking at because I was pissed) the head coach salaries for some very mediocre tennis programs a few years ago. I was stunned.

apl68

It's a myth that high-revenue sports make money for their schools.  Anything that isn't eaten up by coaches' salaries and other overhead ends up at best subsidizing less popular sports.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

Mobius

Some of the costs aren't completely accurate, either. What are the marginal costs of scholarships or housing?

The actual large costs are salaries, facilities, and travel, plus any cash aid given to athletes.

RatGuy

Quote from: apl68 on February 23, 2021, 07:44:54 AM
It's a myth that high-revenue sports make money for their schools.  Anything that isn't eaten up by coaches' salaries and other overhead ends up at best subsidizing less popular sports.

Someone once told me that only two schools -- Louisiana State and Virginia Tech -- had athletic programs that actually produced a profit. Everyone else operates at a deficit, including the big names of Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: RatGuy on February 23, 2021, 12:49:05 PM
Quote from: apl68 on February 23, 2021, 07:44:54 AM

Someone once told me that only two schools -- Louisiana State and Virginia Tech -- had athletic programs that actually produced a profit. Everyone else operates at a deficit, including the big names of Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma.

In the Power 5 conferences 25 of 65 in 2019:https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/do-college-sports-make-money/