News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Smith College in the news

Started by Langue_doc, February 25, 2021, 04:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

I found this article troubling, so I'm posting the link just to get it out of my system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/24/us/smith-college-race.html

spork

I would like to see a policy whereby all Smith students take Harvard's implicit association test (IAT) and then publicly discuss their test results. That ought to reduce phenomenon of the pot calling the kettle black. 
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

marshwiggle

Quote from: spork on February 25, 2021, 05:41:11 AM
I would like to see a policy whereby all Smith students take Harvard's implicit association test (IAT) and then publicly discuss their test results. That ought to reduce phenomenon of the pot calling the kettle black.

What would that have to do with campus staff following campus policies, which is the basis for the original incident?
It takes so little to be above average.

spork

Students forced to examine their own biases. E.g., a relatively poor janitor who has worked at Smith for decades contacting campus police about someone in a building area that is supposed to be non-occupied is not automatically a racist.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Wahoo Redux

I am a very left of center registered independent voter.

We need to also confront our hysterias while confronting the hysterias of the hard right Trump-camp.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.