News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

March Research

Started by darkstarrynight, March 01, 2021, 09:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkstarrynight

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 10, 2021, 04:40:47 PM
I've not done much these last few days because I've been trying to finish up all my teaching-related tasks ahead of the big disruptive event.

Today, however, I got my (accepted) January R&R back from the journal with a note saying they'd recently changed their house style, and that I should rework it accordingly. So I did. (The style is kinda batshit, though.)

Argh, but still congrats!

Today I completely disconnected from work! I drove to a city a few hours away for some shopping. I had not been there in over a year. I got special treats for several colleagues and my spouse, then dropped people's items off at their houses on the way home, which was fun. I did not check email or stare at a screen at all! My car is too old to have apple car play or anything that reads texts either. Yay!

Parasaurolophus

I think I have the time today, so I'm going to write a new book section, taking me to 15/50.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

My pre-recorded presentation for a conference in a few weeks is past due (my fault, mis-read the email about uploading it). The conference said they would take it late because my co-authors and I scheduled to record it this afternoon. One of the co-authors just emailed saying hu can no longer do it this afternoon, but will record hu's part and edit our video clips together. That is fine with me, but I planned to submit today and now it will be even later. I wrote back asking how long it would take for hu to record their part and edit the video, but have not heard back. Sigh...I just do not want to have to withdraw the presentation. The email sent from the conference organizers was very confusing, highlighting a date two weeks from now as the "upload presentation date" which apparently only pertained to them. A few lines below in smaller font, it said this past Monday's date for submitting the recordings, and all four of us missed it. Ayiyi!

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on March 11, 2021, 11:52:23 AM
My pre-recorded presentation for a conference in a few weeks is past due (my fault, mis-read the email about uploading it). The conference said they would take it late because my co-authors and I scheduled to record it this afternoon. One of the co-authors just emailed saying hu can no longer do it this afternoon, but will record hu's part and edit our video clips together. That is fine with me, but I planned to submit today and now it will be even later. I wrote back asking how long it would take for hu to record their part and edit the video, but have not heard back. Sigh...I just do not want to have to withdraw the presentation. The email sent from the conference organizers was very confusing, highlighting a date two weeks from now as the "upload presentation date" which apparently only pertained to them. A few lines below in smaller font, it said this past Monday's date for submitting the recordings, and all four of us missed it. Ayiyi!

Heard back from the co-author - hu will record their part and edit the video clips together by tomorrow, woohoo!

nonsensical

I've been struggling with a piece for most of the day today. It's a response to someone else's target article, which is a new kind of writing for me. I have most of the piece drafted now, but with lots of comments to myself throughout to fill in pieces of information or find examples, etc. So it doesn't feel like I really got to any kind of good ending point, but my brain is so fried I think I have to give up for now.

Faith786

Quote from: Faith786 on March 10, 2021, 05:49:54 AM
March goals:
-write 1000 words for 2021 project
-write 250 words plus references for 2021 project and email due March 4
-attend video meeting due March 4
-discussion of research due March 7
-respond to discussion of research due March 7
-write some things down on group project by March 9
-brainstorm and follow up in group meeting by March 9
-revise and resubmit article #3 due March 10 (please God, let this be accepted...)
-peer review due March 11
-respond to 2021 project document due March 10
-re-write/clean up document for group project due March 11
-peer review due March 12
-read chapter 12 by March 12
-read chapter 13 by March 12
-read article #9 for 2021 project
-write reflection of article #9 for 2021 project
-sign book chapter contract/document page
-write a page for item#4 (book chapter#1) due late July 2021
-read, revise and email myself manuscript #5 and get it down to <20-25 pages
-Read/review/summarize relevant paper to add to research library for 2021 project
-Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics
-Update CV to reflect ResearchGate score
-Update CV to reflect Publons review metrics
-Update CV to reflect submitted/under review manuscript(s)
-peer-review two new manuscripts relevant to research field(s)
-peer review manuscript due March 2
-peer review manuscript due March 19
-accept another manuscript for peer review March 6

Short-term/ongoing goals:
-Try to stay alive, keep calm, and carry on during the second/third wave of COVID-19 so that research can continue
-submit abstract #3 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-submit abstract #4 for conference by mid March (abstract #2 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-In total, submit ~6 manuscripts/articles/chapter(s) in 2021 (hopefully 4 more get accepted/published)
-continue to attend interviews for tenure-track jobs so that independent PI research can be started
-Continue drafting article #4 with reading/review of up-to-date literature
-Continue drafting item #5 (book chapter #1) due July 2021
-apply for research funding

Long-term goals:
-secure a tenure track job and start independent PI research
I need this grant approved...

Morden

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 11, 2021, 08:31:45 AM
I think I have the time today, so I'm going to write a new book section, taking me to 15/50.

It's not done, but I started it! I even did some new reading for it, and read a short thing for another, longer-term project.
I know it's a genus.

Faith786

Faith786

Quote from: Faith786 on March 11, 2021, 01:37:05 PM
March goals:
-revise and resubmit article #3 due March 10 (please God, let this be accepted...)
-summarize research notes from meeting March 11
-Read/review/summarize relevant paper to add to research library for 2021 project
-Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics

-Try to stay alive, keep calm, and carry on during the second/third wave of COVID-19 so that research can continue
-submit abstract #3 for conference by mid March (abstract #1 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-submit abstract #4 for conference by mid March (abstract #2 was submitted in Jan to another conference)
-In total, submit ~6 manuscripts/articles/chapter(s) in 2021 (hopefully 4 more get accepted/published)
-continue to attend interviews for tenure-track jobs so that independent PI research can be started

Long-term goals:

Parasaurolophus

There's conference organization to be done today, plus some book chaptering.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on March 01, 2021, 10:13:19 AM
My teaching schedule is going to ramp up next week and I have to finish putting together my tenure packet, so research will be on the backburner this month. But I have a few goals:

• Resubmit conditionally accepted paper
  • Submit rejected paper to a new journal
  • Continue making progress on data collection project - RAs doing the bulk of the work on this at the moment
  • Make progress on 2 conference papers due in April

Overwhelmed by teaching at the moment, but managed to get the conditionally accepted paper out the door. Now I'll need to turn my focus to one of the conference papers due in April (partly this means nudging my co-authors to make their contributions).

Faith786

Quote from: Faith786 on March 12, 2021, 07:50:00 AM
March goals:
-summarize research notes from meeting March 11
-peer review due March 16

Long-term goals:

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 12, 2021, 08:19:41 AM
There's conference organization to be done today, plus some book chaptering.

Did a metric boatload of both.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Submitted our pre-recorded presentation after midnight so I am counting it as today's work! Ha!