News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Train wreck

Started by downer, April 01, 2021, 04:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

At the start of the year, I talked about my 18 day course. But it went fine.

10 days into a late start spring course, I know already that it is not going to go well. Which means: probably less than half the students will pass.

25% of the class have not even logged on yet. So they are "never attended."

Only 25% of the class is actually doing the work.

So the question is about the middle 50%, who have logged on, maybe done some work, maybe not.

This is a course I have literally completely recycled. Last semester, it went fine. But I guess it is a different student population. Maybe, as this school circles the drain, the competent students are leaving. But maybe there is a less drastic explanation. Maybe the competent students are avoiding me. Or maybe it is random variation.

We will see how it goes.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Ruralguy

Look, you can't fail 75 percent of the class. Talk to  them, figure out what the issues are. Talk to your colleagues. Is this unique to you?

Langue_doc

Time to send early warning letters, listing the missing assignments.

arcturus

Quote from: Ruralguy on April 01, 2021, 04:23:10 PM
Look, you can't fail 75 percent of the class. Talk to  them, figure out what the issues are. Talk to your colleagues. Is this unique to you?

Why can't you fail students who do not do the work? Sure, if this was the first time teaching the course, one might need to re-evaluate whether the required work is appropriate/graded appropriately and provide a generous curve at the end. But there are definitely times when the students are not pulled from the average student population. A late-start course is one such situation: many of the students enrolled in these courses are enrolled because they need the credits to replace those from courses they dropped earlier in the semester. They are not only weaker students (or more heavily distracted, due to other obligations) to begin with, the weekly work load in a late-start course is probably higher, since there are fewer weeks to complete the same material, thereby exacerbating the problem. I firmly believe the mantra that students receive the grades that they earn.

polly_mer

Quote from: Ruralguy on April 01, 2021, 04:23:10 PM
Look, you can't fail 75 percent of the class.

Sure, you can, especially for an elective course that isn't hundreds of students doing a prerequisite for a major.

Yes, talk to the chair, but 5 no show, 10 fail, 5 pass isn't unreasonable as a statistical blip.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

clean

Document, Document Document!

I send notes (some automated from Blackboard) to remind them that they have assignments due.  I also send follow up notes, "dear slacker, My records indicate that you have now missed TWO/THREE/Four/FIVE assignments.  IF you are having some difficulties that I can help you with, please let me know.  The university has many resources available and if you can alert me of your difficulties, I can forward your problem to the appropriate university department to contact you for further assistance."

Then, IF there is a problem later, you can take to the chair that you sent them 12 emails about late or missing assignments.  The students should not be surprised by their failing grades. IF they do complain and the chair wants you to defend the grade given, then there is plenty to deliver to the chair. 

Hell, after enough emails, the delusional student may even write back and let you know of the issues!  You might actually be able to help one or 2 of them resolve their problems! 

I have some textbook based assignments that I have over and again suggested that they not WAIT until the due date to start as they take time to complete AND this is not a subject that can be effeciently learned by cramming.  A few hours a day is a much better way to study and do the work.  I have harped on them to do a few hours a day.  Lately, I have been sending reminders on Saturday that the deadline is Sunday and adding to the email how many (only 20% for instance) have started the assignments.  I am waiting for complaints to reach the chair and I will be glad to forward all of the emails! 

IF they CHOOSE to ignore your advice, that is one thing, BUT at least you SHOULD be PROVIDING Advice and feedback when they fall behind. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

spork

Whether there is a pandemic or not, I warn students by email about their performance two weeks into the semester, at the one month mark, when I submit mid-semester grade reports, and the Monday before the Friday deadline to withdraw. I copy the students' advisors on these emails. This is purely to cover my butt. Not my fault if a student chooses not to do the work, and I have documentation to prove that the student's performance is not a "surprise" to the student.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

kiana

I'm documenting the hell out of my late start classes as well.

The pass rate among people who completed everything that was due in week 1 is excellent. Unfortunately, that's only 35% of the class.

40% of them were already under 60% after the first week, and not one of those is currently passing (6 weeks in). All have gotten multiple alerts and communications.

downer

This college used to have an early alert for students who were in trouble, but they got rid of it. They also used to have a system where you could look up their advisor's email address, but they got rid of that too. I did record "never attended" for the relevant students with the Registrar.

The college hasn't set any standards or recommendations about what to do with students in trouble.

And these are often students who struggle a lot of the time.

So I see a college that, as I mentioned, is circling the drain.

If they choose not to rehire me, it's not a big loss for me. I suspect they will all be out of a job before long.

I don't expect to assign F grades to 75% of them. Some will withdraw on their own, some will have "Never Attended," and maybe half will fail. Maybe less if some pay attention and start working soon. There are a couple of graduating seniors.

I know some other professors do lots of emailing and even call home numbers, which may well be effective in changing behavior. But I'm not inclined to go down that path.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Langue_doc

I would email the students so that there is a paper trail. I don't call students but have asked them to meet with me if they are failing. If they decide not to, then I include that information in a later email. My emails are along the lines of "Dear Stu, you are receiving this email because I am concerned about your progress in this course. The records show that ... Please schedule a Zoom meeting ... I can meet with you at the following dates/times."

downer

I'm curious. What do you do all do with this documentation?

Who asks to see it? Do you have your chairs or deans telling you should be rescuing failing students?

I have announcements on the LMS telling students how to look at their grades so far and what to do if they are struggling. That seems sufficient to me.

Langue_doc

Quote from: downer on April 02, 2021, 05:44:02 AM
I'm curious. What do you do all do with this documentation?

Who asks to see it? Do you have your chairs or deans telling you should be rescuing failing students?

I have announcements on the LMS telling students how to look at their grades so far and what to do if they are struggling. That seems sufficient to me.

Nothing. I have not been asked to rescue failing students but occasionally some of the failing students complain to the higher-ups that I didn't help them or that I wasn't available. I merely forward the emails to show that I have done my job. I don't hear from the higher-ups after that. I once had a student who went to the wrong classroom on the first day of class. He never showed up to any of the subsequent classes but complained that I had changed the classroom and hadn't informed him. I had emails to show that I had contacted him after the first no-show, and other emails about the missed attendance and assignments. There was also a grade appeal that was dismissed because I had a paper trail (emails and feedback on assignments) to show that I had made several attempts to help the student.

kiana

Quote from: Langue_doc on April 02, 2021, 06:10:43 AM
Nothing. I have not been asked to rescue failing students but occasionally some of the failing students complain to the higher-ups that I didn't help them or that I wasn't available. I merely forward the emails to show that I have done my job. I don't hear from the higher-ups after that. I once had a student who went to the wrong classroom on the first day of class. He never showed up to any of the subsequent classes but complained that I had changed the classroom and hadn't informed him. I had emails to show that I had contacted him after the first no-show, and other emails about the missed attendance and assignments. There was also a grade appeal that was dismissed because I had a paper trail (emails and feedback on assignments) to show that I had made several attempts to help the student.

Similarly, I had a student with accommodations who complained that they had failed because I did not give them accommodations. Being able to forward the paper trail was pretty helpful in getting that to go away quickly.

downer

I see. Makes sense.

At this school, students seem on the passive side. I've never had a student complain to anyone about me. They don't even post on RMP. While this class may be unusually bad, I generally fail about 20% of the students in most classes there, and a bunch of others withdraw.

Aster

To confirm, you're referencing a college class that operates on an 18-day term?