News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

MLA’s recommended salaries

Started by Mobius, April 10, 2021, 01:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

The Modern Language Association is recommending new assistants start at $76,000 per year and adjuncts get paid $11,400 per three-credit hour class. That was a good laugh, even though adjuncts usually get paid very little.

https://twitter.com/daycathy/status/1380330594677235722?s=21

Ruralguy

As long as they don't mind "fulls" making 75, then this might go through in some places.

polly_mer

Every couple years, the MLA generalizes from the elite institutions where the majority of the TT jobs are and the laughter from the hinterlands is heard.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

dismalist

Will the MLA finance its recommendations? It can borrow, after all.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Mobius

This isn't a new recommendation, but noticed several academics in my Twitter feed bring it up this week. I chuckled a bit.

PScientist

Very nice recommendation.  I am a full professor in physics, and I don't make quite that much.  I guess I should have been an English major instead.

apl68

Quote from: polly_mer on April 10, 2021, 01:42:25 PM
Every couple years, the MLA generalizes from the elite institutions where the majority of the TT jobs are and the laughter from the hinterlands is heard.

The American Library Association does something similar each year.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

polly_mer

Quote from: apl68 on April 12, 2021, 08:05:10 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on April 10, 2021, 01:42:25 PM

The American Library Association does something similar each year.

I bet.  I haven't seen those ALA announcements, but I've been laughing with the MLA for a good while.

Ruralguy

Does it have any effect?

I know for 20+ years, we've been saying we are trying to get to the AAUP 80th percentile, but never have (one problem is that it is not geographically COL adjusted, so I think its hopeless for small rural colleges. Also, they go by means and not medians). But at least AAUP is fairly wide ranging, at least for the US.

The MLA has limited scope, and also doesn't seem to be basing this on data in any way (unless they are just saying that all assistant profs should make the mean assistant prof salary as elites, which is obviously unrealistic).

marshwiggle

Does the MLA have a recommended tuition as well?
It takes so little to be above average.

Sun_Worshiper

While I see why this is unrealistic outside R1 land, I don't think those numbers are unreasonable in theory. $75k is well below the average for a person with a professional degree or a PhD. And while it will, at best, only move the needle in a marginal way, these kinds of recommendations can help to establish some best practices.

Mobius

Quote from: Ruralguy on April 12, 2021, 08:31:31 AM
Does it have any effect?

I know for 20+ years, we've been saying we are trying to get to the AAUP 80th percentile, but never have (one problem is that it is not geographically COL adjusted, so I think its hopeless for small rural colleges. Also, they go by means and not medians). But at least AAUP is fairly wide ranging, at least for the US.

The MLA has limited scope, and also doesn't seem to be basing this on data in any way (unless they are just saying that all assistant profs should make the mean assistant prof salary as elites, which is obviously unrealistic).

Our administration and union pays attention to CUPA data, and there was a bump last year to get us to around 80% of CUPA means outside of normal COL increases in the CBA. There isn't a wide disparity among fields, and I think only 2-3 fields get higher pay in our CBA.

polly_mer

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on April 12, 2021, 08:36:15 AM
While I see why this is unrealistic outside R1 land, I don't think those numbers are unreasonable in theory. $75k is well below the average for a person with a professional degree or a PhD. And while it will, at best, only move the needle in a marginal way, these kinds of recommendations can help to establish some best practices.

You haven't lived far enough down the prestige scale and spent time with regional CUPA figures in the hinterlands if you can make that statement.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: polly_mer on April 12, 2021, 11:03:54 AM

You haven't lived far enough down the prestige scale and spent time with regional CUPA figures in the hinterlands if you can make that statement.

Did you miss this part of my comment?: "I see why this is unrealistic outside R1 land"

mleok

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on April 12, 2021, 11:59:44 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on April 12, 2021, 11:03:54 AM

Did you miss this part of my comment?: "I see why this is unrealistic outside R1 land"

Did you miss the part where most of the universities in the US are not R1s?