handling a work situation with non-academic center director

Started by Vid, April 19, 2021, 07:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vid

I wonder if anyone has any comments about how to handle a work situation where a center director (non-academic person) micromanage faculty? There is an interesting center director in my school who very often asks the faculty to send him their report (e.g., how many proposals they submitted since Jan. 2021, papers, etc.) which is out of his job responsibilities. The faculty are affiliated with the center. He often sends the faculty a form to fill out about their weekly activities, when they will return to work (exact date/time), etc., the same form that he provides to his staff members to complete! Anyway, he is very close to the VP and works under him and doesn't really care about the dean (doesn't have a good relationship with the dean). He claims every time that he has a meeting with the VP and needs to report faculty activities to the VP. He acts as faculty are his staff members and he got to supervise them! The VP is an extremely busy person who plays a major political role with the state, national level, etc. (not sure if faculty activities are really important for the VP).

How do you guys handle this situation?

Thank you for your comments. 
"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

dismalist

QuoteThe faculty are affiliated with the center.

What does that mean talking tacheles?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ciao_yall

What is this center director's actual job responsibility? If it is to monitor the activities of the center and update the VP, then there you go.

Perhaps you and other faculty could talk to him about what types of information the VP really might want, need, and you all can work together to up the messaging, so to speak. So it's less about status updates and more about getting the VP to get more resources or whatever the faculty really want for the center.

Ruralguy

Treat it as the bureaucratic crap that it is. Just fill it all in reasonably truthfully. If it's really supposed to be a time card,then lie and make sure it adds up to forty.

The other stuff is maybe slightly more reasonable as center director, but probably too frequent.

When you have tenure, you can tell him to take a hike. Before that, definitely play nice.

Might mention it to a trusted senior colleague.

Vid

Quote from: dismalist on April 19, 2021, 07:24:30 PM

That means the faculty members (tenured and tenure track) help the center. The center does some research activities for the state. So some faculty help the center with several research projects/proposals, outreach, etc.  Thank you.
"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

dismalist

Quote from: Vid on April 19, 2021, 07:52:28 PM

That means the faculty members (tenured and tenure track) help the center. The center does some research activities for the state. So some faculty help the center with several research projects/proposals, outreach, etc.  Thank you.

Then what Ruralguy says. Do not talk, discuss, or negotiate. Let the Director come to you.

What has the Center Director done for the associated faculty recently? Got them grants? That's what these charges are there for.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Vid

He claimed one time-- "a female faculty filed a sexual abuse case against me but it didnot go well"! I am new in this school but I have heard 4 faculty members ran away from this guy and his center before!

He is well known for playing ugly politics not only in the university but also in the state!

Vid

Quote from: ciao_yall on April 19, 2021, 07:38:30 PM
What is this center director's actual job responsibility? If it is to monitor the activities of the center and update the VP, then there you go.

Perhaps you and other faculty could talk to him about what types of information the VP really might want, need, and you all can work together to up the messaging, so to speak. So it's less about status updates and more about getting the VP to get more resources or whatever the faculty really want for the center.

I amnot sure about his job responsibilities. How can I get this info?

Vid

Quote from: Ruralguy on April 19, 2021, 07:39:23 PM
Treat it as the bureaucratic crap that it is. Just fill it all in reasonably truthfully. If it's really supposed to be a time card,then lie and make sure it adds up to forty.

The other stuff is maybe slightly more reasonable as center director, but probably too frequent.

When you have tenure, you can tell him to take a hike. Before that, definitely play nice.

Might mention it to a trusted senior colleague.

Ruralguy: Thank you. one of my colleague had an argument with him (I donot know the details) but he told the director that you are ignoring our academic freedom. Unfortunately my department doesn't support faculty and listen to this director.

Vid

Quote from: dismalist on April 19, 2021, 08:03:43 PM
Quote from: Vid on April 19, 2021, 07:52:28 PM

That means the faculty members (tenured and tenure track) help the center. The center does some research activities for the state. So some faculty help the center with several research projects/proposals, outreach, etc.  Thank you.

Then what Ruralguy says. Do not talk, discuss, or negotiate. Let the Director come to you.

What has the Center Director done for the associated faculty recently? Got them grants? That's what these charges are there for.

dismalist: No grant no help. But he gets good state grants for two other tenured faculty in another department (they have a club!).

ciao_yall

Quote from: Vid on April 19, 2021, 08:12:16 PM

Ruralguy: Thank you. one of my colleague had an argument with him (I donot know the details) but he told the director that you are ignoring our academic freedom. Unfortunately my department doesn't support faculty and listen to this director.

People can throw the term "academic freedom" around for all kinds of reasons, whether or not they are actually related to academic freedom.

Was the Director trying to get the faculty to say something in the faculty's research report? Maybe something that the grantor wanted to hear?

dismalist

No help should be honored in kind, in the most civilized manner. What Ruralguy says.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Vid

Not sure what he really wants from those form, but the form is an HR time card type form for university staff members only.

dismalist

Quote from: Vid on April 19, 2021, 08:24:40 PM
Not sure what he really wants from those form, but the form is an HR time card type form for university staff members only.

Kill it before it spreads.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Vid

Quote from: dismalist on April 19, 2021, 08:27:42 PM
Quote from: Vid on April 19, 2021, 08:24:40 PM

Kill it before it spreads.

dismalist: HA HA HA HA...I like it. you are brilliant!