News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Question about NSF proposal

Started by research_prof, April 22, 2021, 01:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

research_prof

Quote from: aspiring.academic on April 23, 2021, 06:51:32 AM
Any additional questions would come from the PD.

Good point. I sent my responses and then got a response from the PD that one of my responses did not fully address part of a comment. Responding to it right now.

Does that mean all my other responses were fine?

aspiring.academic

Quote from: research_prof on April 29, 2021, 12:15:45 AM

Good point. I sent my responses and then got a response from the PD that one of my responses did not fully address part of a comment. Responding to it right now.

Not necessarily.
It's more important that your responses are complete than your responses be quick. Take the time to run them by someone and get feedback before sending them over.

research_prof

Quote from: aspiring.academic on April 29, 2021, 04:23:19 AM

Not necessarily.
It's more important that your responses are complete than your responses be quick. Take the time to run them by someone and get feedback before sending them over.

I had already sent all the responses. I did not try to rush it.. I took my time to write as complete answers as possible, then sat on them for a couple of days, read through them for another day and made a few changes. Unfortunately, I do not have anyone (that I trust) in the field to run them by...

The PD asked me to perceive a question of a reviewer in a different way, provide some considerations, and say that I will address them in a future proposal.

What do you mean that "not necessarily" my other responses are ok..? would not the PD have asked me to address other things too if other responses were not ok?

aspiring.academic

Quote from: research_prof on April 29, 2021, 04:56:55 AM
Quote from: aspiring.academic on April 29, 2021, 04:23:19 AM

Not necessarily.
What do you mean that "not necessarily" my other responses are ok..? would not the PD have asked me to address other things too if other responses were not ok?

This process is not a negotiation. The PD offered you an opportunity to address the questions, but that doesn't necessarily mean that your responses are sufficient.

research_prof

Thank you all. Got a response from the PD asking for an abstract and letting me know that my responses were sufficient to recommend my proposal for funding.

pgher

Quote from: research_prof on April 30, 2021, 11:07:04 PM
Thank you all. Got a response from the PD asking for an abstract and letting me know that my responses were sufficient to recommend my proposal for funding.

Congratulations!

aspiring.academic

Quote from: research_prof on April 30, 2021, 11:07:04 PM

Whew! Nice work!

research_prof

Sorry for following up again, but I have another question about that: the PD "unofficially" said my responses were good enough to recommend my proposal for funding last Thursday, however, no changes have happened on research.gov (no date or status update). Do you know how long it might take for me to see an update on research.gov?

I am getting a bit nervous, since as you probably understand, I really want this proposal to get funded....

hazelshade

Unfortunately, it's time to sit tight—last time one of our PIs went through something like this, the responses to the PO (along with some major budget changes) went in in later November/early December and the grant wasn't funded until late February. Good luck—hope your resolution is speedier than ours was!

research_prof

Quote from: hazelshade on May 06, 2021, 03:42:10 AM
Unfortunately, it's time to sit tight—last time one of our PIs went through something like this, the responses to the PO (along with some major budget changes) went in in later November/early December and the grant wasn't funded until late February. Good luck—hope your resolution is speedier than ours was!

Thank you. Is it possible that my proposal might be declined after all?

arcturus

Quote from: research_prof on May 06, 2021, 03:52:52 AM

I find it helpful to think of my grant proposals as quantum cats: both alive and dead at the same time. Until the measurement is made (the PO clicks the right button) there is no answer to your question.

However, it is unusual (not impossible) for a grant to be declined after you have been asked to provide an abstract.

born_a_prof

I am in same situation..just relax !

aspiring.academic

Possible, yes. The funding decision doesn't come from the PO. The PO makes the recommendation, but it can still be declined for a number of reasons. It's unlikely that it would be declined but it's not unheard of.

research_prof

Thank you, all. I checked my other funded NSF proposal. The panel took place in early May, the PD let me know they will recommend it for funding about 3 weeks after that (late May). The proposal was eventually recommended for funding on research.gov in early July and was officially funded in mid August. In other words, it took quite a bit of time...

research_prof

Update: the proposal was recommended for funding on research.gov yesterday. So, it took about 1 month and 20 days from the time I sent the public abstract until the time that the proposal was officially recommended for funding.