News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

How To Get Fired At A Baptist College

Started by spork, May 01, 2021, 07:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: Golazo on May 02, 2021, 10:52:48 AM
Sorry for the double thread. I agree that we can't be certain about some of the allegations, but the fact that a trustee has been indicted, and that the college settled a civil suit, and it is a tenured professor who is fired rather than change in action at the top, seems dubious. Particularly since the college seems to have decided that it doesn't need to follow any of the procedures outlined in its handbook. I don't think this is going to end well for the college. And why would students want to attend an expensive private college with these explosive allegations about its leadership when there are plenty of other good regional options?

Also, worth nothing that Linfield is about as Baptist as say William and Mary is Anglican.

Also worth noting that calling attention to the school's confessional identity in the thread title, as if the problems occurring at it were somehow unique to schools with that particular identity, was unnecessary.

One of the most disheartening things about this story is the way bad actors are skillfully pitting tribal allegiances against each other for their own benefit--and the way organizations meant to protect against injustice are apparently letting themselves be manipulated by these bad actors.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

spork

Quote from: apl68 on May 03, 2021, 07:34:36 AM
Sorry for the double thread. I agree that we can't be certain about some of the allegations, but the fact that a trustee has been indicted, and that the college settled a civil suit, and it is a tenured professor who is fired rather than change in action at the top, seems dubious. Particularly since the college seems to have decided that it doesn't need to follow any of the procedures outlined in its handbook. I don't think this is going to end well for the college. And why would students want to attend an expensive private college with these explosive allegations about its leadership when there are plenty of other good regional options?

Also, worth nothing that Linfield is about as Baptist as say William and Mary is Anglican.

Also worth noting that calling attention to the school's confessional identity in the thread title, as if the problems occurring at it were somehow unique to schools with that particular identity, was unnecessary.

One of the most disheartening things about this story is the way bad actors are skillfully pitting tribal allegiances against each other for their own benefit--and the way organizations meant to protect against injustice are apparently letting themselves be manipulated by these bad actors.

How soon we forget:

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/23/sports/college-basketball-christian-values-meet-athletic-scandal.html.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on May 03, 2021, 07:34:36 AM

Agreed.

Being unholier-than-thou is no less a hypocritical stance in some cases.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Some people on Twitter are reporting that campus security is entering faculty offices to remove any material which expresses support for Pollack-Pelzner.
I know it's a genus.

eigen

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 03, 2021, 09:48:11 AM
Some people on Twitter are reporting that campus security is entering faculty offices to remove any material which expresses support for Pollack-Pelzner.

I can't remember if this was in the original article or not, but they've also locked down email communications. No one can email faculty/student groups without the email being approved.

This has also been particularly problematic as the school is in the middle of gen ed revisions with no faculty listserv to discuss the changes.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Hibush

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 03, 2021, 09:48:11 AM

Linfield is currently advertising two faculty positions. I wonder how those searches are going.

Ruralguy

Anselm

There are many ways to get fired.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/01/12/tests-faith

Wheaton of Illinois faces scrutiny for firing professor who became Catholic; Oklahoma Christian U. may fire those who divorce.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

kaysixteen

It is longstanding black letter law that religious institutions get to have religious reqs for employment, and if a current employee changes his religious affiliation, he can then be discharged.

Puget

Quote from: kaysixteen on May 04, 2021, 02:41:46 PM
It is longstanding black letter law that religious institutions get to have religious reqs for employment, and if a current employee changes his religious affiliation, he can then be discharged.

Uh, this case has nothing to do with religious requirements. You might want to read the articles.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Hegemony

Quote from: Puget on May 04, 2021, 03:14:07 PM

Uh, this case has nothing to do with religious requirements. You might want to read the articles.

I imagine kaysixteen is referring to Anselm's post about the firings at Wheaton of Illinois and Oklahoma Christian U.

mahagonny

This interests me.

1. Can a non-religious institution that guarantees non-discrimination on the basis of religion require you to join a new religion (Antiracism) as a condition of continued employment, when you have already been working there for years?
2. Can a faculty member at, say a Baptist college refuse anti-racism training on the basis that it doesn't blend with their Baptist faith?
3. Can a college that identifies as religious change its religion, and a with that, the requirement that its faculty change too?